Thread: 2018-19 Ticket Monkey Business at MSG!

Senior Member Bantam Division

2018-19 Ticket Monkey Business at MSG!

Last spring, MSG reached out asking if I wanted to by season tix. I said sure, but I cannot do a full season let alone half. Even the 11-game plans are a challenge for me since I live an hour away and travel for work out of the region.

MSG said, "What works for you?" I told them 5 games and maybe 6 or 7. They told me that they understood that attendance this season might be a bit challenging, so they were working on more fan-friendly options...including a 5-gamer like I wanted. "Sit where you want each game, you can even mix it up with upper-level and lower bowl seats if you want." It all sounded good and I put down $250/seat as a non-refundable deposit. As 'Thank you' they gave me 2 tix to one of the last home games of the season last year.

My ticket representative has been in touch with me off and on since last spring and has done a good job of keeping me informed about deadlines coming up. Last week, I sent him the dates for 5 games we could definitely attend and requested 'front row' above the suites or nearby (Row 2-3) for end-row seats.

When he called me a couple of days ago to finish out my selections, I learned about 'dynamic pricing' (which I already anticipated) and that "there was absolutely no front row seats left." In fact, he went on to say, "most of the 200-level is not available and I can give you ROW 22" which I think is next to the last row. He did have plenty of 100-level seats if I wanted to step up.

After reviewing my schedule of games, and learning the Captitols game on a Saturday afternoon was going to cost me over $400 per seat for last row, I told him to please relay a message to F-face Dolan. You can imagine what the message was (conjure your own and it's probably close). I also said that I'll reverse the charge on my CC and that since people (attempt to) do it to our business regularly, I will prevail. I was clear in telling the ticket rep that I wasn't mad at him the messenger, but at MSG who obviously is lying to fans. There is no f-ing way that these tickets are all gone -- especially since single-game seats did not go on sale yet.

Guess what? He called me hours later saying he "went to bat for me" with his supervisor and that more ticket inventory is now available. Maybe yes, but likely no. IDK for sure. It seem so disingenuous to treat fans this way. Had he sold me what I wanted first, then said, "Hey Frank, for a few more dollars we can upgrade you to..."X" I would have likely played along. Not a good experience by far.

Overall, I have 5 game for $2,094 = about $209/seat for SJS, WAS, NYI, BOS & CAN over the season. I'll get 1-2 more games from a friend piecing out his full-season tix and that should do it. BTW - to round out our hockey fix, we bought an ARMY Hockey 6-pack for this season as well. And probably 1 game at Prudential when the NYR visit them.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yeah Season Subscriptions do shady sales.
    I had seats on the aisle for like 10 years before the renovations, after the renovations in the upper bowl I was moved to mid-row. For the longest time ive been trying to get at least closer to an aisle but nothing in my price is ever available during my seat relocation process.
    This year was the same thing, barely any seats available for full season tix holders to relocate in the entire arena. So for shits and giggles I looked at how many seats were available for 1/2 season plans, and I was astounded that there were plenty of seats that were available for both mini-plans. So I called my ticket rep that they had 2 seats available like a row or 2 from my seats that were aisles and if I can just take those seats. No harm no foul, right? Well guess again, they were designated for mini-plans or single ticket sales b/c they were better seats than mine. Single seats/mini-plans pay more per ticket than full season ticket holders so by their rationale they can get more $$$ for those aisle seats than my seats however I would think my seats would sell no matter what though single ticket sales or a mini-plan and they would still be getting there $$$.
    Im getting to that point that I cant be a season ticket holder anymore b/c the full season ticket holder is getting screwed over. Full season ticket holders use to be taken care of but now they are pushing us out. Ticket rep flat out told me that they arent pushing full season tickets anymore.
    Only thing that is keeping me a season ticket holder is that im still able to sell most of my tickets, i'm still making some sort of profit from what I paid, which I put towards the playoffs (PLAYOFFS, YOURE TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFFS!!!).
    Disclaimer: I do sell my tickets above season ticket holder face value however I do sell them (for the most part) below what they would be on ticketmaster/fees.

By the way, Rangers single seats went on sale at like the end of July.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    MSG can get away because they live the legend. I have sat next to tourists who have planned for years to attend a game at MSG - so price doesn’t matter.

Here’s the real problem; We love our team! The addiction is costly.

Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4EverRangerFrank View Post
    MSG can get away because they live the legend. I have sat next to tourists who have planned for years to attend a game at MSG - so price doesn’t matter.

Here’s the real problem; We love our team! The addiction is costly.
    That is so true Frank screw the loyal fans, but we keep paying the price.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Love of the team has nothing to do with how many games you go to.

I've paid less to fly to Chicago and see them than to have similar seats in MSG.

Beer Leaguer Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Love of the team has nothing to do with how many games you go to.

I've paid less to fly to Chicago and see them than to have similar seats in MSG.
    Not according to everyone.