• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jack Ryan

SaveByRichter35

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I still have to watch the finale, but what struck me about S2 is that the main plot device and motivation for the villain is... so weak. Like the reason he's going through all this trouble is so he can mine some shit without bureaucratic red tape? So much so that he murdered a U.S. Senator? Really?

So speaking to what you're saying, S1 had wayyyyy more on the line than S2.

I don't need every show to be fighting an existential threat, but this just seemed kinda weak.

I still have to watch the finale, but what struck me about S2 is that the main plot device and motivation for the villain is... so weak. Like the reason he's going through all this trouble is so he can mine some shit without bureaucratic red tape? So much so that he murdered a U.S. Senator? Really?

So speaking to what you're saying, S1 had wayyyyy more on the line than S2.

I don't need every show to be fighting an existential threat, but this just seemed kinda weak.

Agreed on basically everything. I enjoyed season two, but it paled in comparison to the depth of season one from a plot device perspective. Suleiman was just an infinitely more interesting villain.

Yeah, I finished it last night. The twist didn't do a whole lot to help with my gripes, like you said.

It still seems like a toothless motive for the villain. I guess the "national security" aspect of it does elevate it a little more, but c'mon. You're just going to drop that in the last scene?

Overall, it was still good. But I hope next season has a little more on the line and brings back Abbie Cornish.

• 3 months later...

S1 wobbled but managed to stay on the rails.

S2 just gave up by the final?. Tottaly laughable, completely unbelievable. Like, Rambo bad.

I also find this iteration of Jack Ryan to be so obnoxious and self righteous I almost root against him. Not in the Clancy mold at all.

Still, worth watching if only for James Greer. Great character.