• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Health, Fitness and Diet Thread 2.0

Pete

Does anyone use a fitness trackers? I used to own the Jawbone UP3, but the company went under and its servers are down and it is not totally useless. I'm looking for something simple as a tracker to measure the number of steps I take a day and can calculate the number of calories I burn. I don't want a smart watch.

Does anyone use a fitness trackers? I used to own the Jawbone UP3, but the company went under and its servers are down and it is not totally useless. I'm looking for something simple as a tracker to measure the number of steps I take a day and can calculate the number of calories I burn. I don't want a smart watch.

Fitbit Charge.

• 2 years later...

Time to dust of this thread:

With winter ending, wife and I figured we'd try to get in better shape heading into the warmer months. We've decided to give a low-carb diet a shot (probably through the month of March at a minimum). Aiming for between 50-100 carb grams a day which would be a major cutback for us, as we love cereals, bagels, breads, pasta, etc. Along with the change in diet we have been working out on our elliptical 20-30 minutes per day at varying intensity.

Overall, I'm in fairly good shape and would be viewed as "skinny" by many. 2 weeks ago at 42 years old, 5' 11" , I weighed in at about 172 lbs. Thinking my target weight should be 160 or so.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I started my first "pre-week" of the diet by exercising daily and cutting back (but occasionally indulging on high-carb foods....one day I'd have a bagel, another day we'd have pasta for dinner). In that "pre-week" I lost 2 pounds. (170.2)

Last week was our 1st full week completely eliminating high-carb foods. With daily exercise and roughly 75-100 grams of carbs a day I dropped another 3.3 pounds. So 166.9 as of this morning.

I'm interested to see how this week goes. Don't plan on changing anything up but the first 2 weeks have been successful and has opened me up to healthier eating options although I do miss some high carb foods badly.

Time to dust of this thread:

With winter ending, wife and I figured we'd try to get in better shape heading into the warmer months. We've decided to give a low-carb diet a shot (probably through the month of March at a minimum). Aiming for between 50-100 carb grams a day which would be a major cutback for us, as we love cereals, bagels, breads, pasta, etc. Along with the change in diet we have been working out on our elliptical 20-30 minutes per day at varying intensity.

Overall, I'm in fairly good shape and would be viewed as "skinny" by many. 2 weeks ago at 42 years old, 5' 11" , I weighed in at about 172 lbs. Thinking my target weight should be 160 or so.

Anyway, 2 weeks ago I started my first "pre-week" of the diet by exercising daily and cutting back (but occasionally indulging on high-carb foods....one day I'd have a bagel, another day we'd have pasta for dinner). In that "pre-week" I lost 2 pounds. (170.2)

Last week was our 1st full week completely eliminating high-carb foods. With daily exercise and roughly 75-100 grams of carbs a day I dropped another 3.3 pounds. So 166.9 as of this morning.

I'm interested to see how this week goes. Don't plan on changing anything up but the first 2 weeks have been successful and has opened me up to healthier eating options although I do miss some high carb foods badly.

3a758166-e927-43e6-839f-52b16f1a757a_text_hi.gif

Yeah I gotta start doing something. Working from home, hurt my foot and didnt do shit from September - December, our hockey team hasnt played during covid, and there's literally nothing going on, I feel slow, sluggish and old. Like I'm Jack Johnson. Then I stopped* drinking and gained weight, fml

Until about 2 years ago I did nothing but 'enjoy.' Then back surgery (discectomy) that fixed my sciatica issue and I started PT. I liked it and started thinking about the 'dad belly' starting to show and how my pants were too tight. My brother-in-law suggested a breakfast change to steel cut groats (like that Scottish oatmeal in a can) that I get in bulk at the health food store. I eat a half-cup a day, every day, with a very rare egg or pancake breakfast. I don't cook it either - just put scoops in a bowl and top with cold water and let sit overnight. I rinse it through a small stainer and top with: cinnamon, 1 tbs shaved coconut, 1 tsp sliced almonds, three strawberries, 1/2 C. blueberries and a banana sliced up. While I used to eat it 'dry' I've added oat or almond milk. (If you try this, start with a 1/4 cup because you will fart like a fiend at first but your body adjusts and that stops after a week or so.) Long story to say I've lost 20 lbs and am 6'3" 173 now after about two years. (I eat bread with dinner whenever I want, ice cream at night a few times a week and drink wine pretty much daily. I do run on the treadmill every day too, but only 20-30 minutes. Dessert is not a regular part of my diet either.) Also, you'll be hungry in the afternoon but I've found a handful of peanuts or cashews carries me to dinner.

I've put on the COVID-19....probably more like the COVID-30, which is SUPER disappointing, so I'm back on the fitness train and trying to get back to something resembling a healthy weight. I've embraced oats in the morning, a daily workout, and some half-assed calorie tracking. One habit at a time.

Until about 2 years ago I did nothing but 'enjoy.' Then back surgery (discectomy) that fixed my sciatica issue and I started PT. I liked it and started thinking about the 'dad belly' starting to show and how my pants were too tight. My brother-in-law suggested a breakfast change to steel cut groats (like that Scottish oatmeal in a can) that I get in bulk at the health food store. I eat a half-cup a day, every day, with a very rare egg or pancake breakfast. I don't cook it either - just put scoops in a bowl and top with cold water and let sit overnight. I rinse it through a small stainer and top with: cinnamon, 1 tbs shaved coconut, 1 tsp sliced almonds, three strawberries, 1/2 C. blueberries and a banana sliced up. While I used to eat it 'dry' I've added oat or almond milk. (If you try this, start with a 1/4 cup because you will fart like a fiend at first but your body adjusts and that stops after a week or so.) Long story to say I've lost 20 lbs and am 6'3" 173 now after about two years. (I eat bread with dinner whenever I want, ice cream at night a few times a week and drink wine pretty much daily. I do run on the treadmill every day too, but only 20-30 minutes. Dessert is not a regular part of my diet either.) Also, you'll be hungry in the afternoon but I've found a handful of peanuts or cashews carries me to dinner.

614de537ea516c274f9c95e722fbf9d5.gif

Nice. Congrats!

Things I miss on low carb diet the most:

-Pasta

-Sandwiches with bread/bagels. I blame growing up on Long Island. I'm a hero-oholic

-Occasional pastry

Things I am enjoying eating healthier that I didn't before:

-Homemade smoothies with coconut or almond milk/fruit

-Tuna Fish (I like all the different flavors they have now)

-Almond Milk in general (vs regular milk)

• Like 1

I've been good throughout the pandemic keeping up, 5 days a week, with my walking either outside or at home with a threadmill (It sucks) as it got colder outside. I also have a set of dumb bells that I use as a light lift as my days of lifting 200+ lbs is long gone.

Nice. Congrats!

-Pasta

-Sandwiches with bread/bagels. I blame growing up on Long Island. I'm a hero-oholic

-Occasional pastry

dolphin flavor? whale flavor? touch of hammerhead flavor?

After finally finishing my basement, I decided to build a gym on one side of it, so far I have a bench with an Olympic bar and 5-45lbs plates. Also have 10-35lbs dumbbells. I’m looking to get a pulldown/row machine next. As for cardio, I try to get on the peloton 4-5 days a week but hopefully with the warmer weather, I can start taking my cardio outdoors. Not sure how my knees will hold up to running these days though but I guess I’ll find out.

After finally finishing my basement, I decided to build a gym on one side of it, so far I have a bench with an Olympic bar and 5-45lbs plates. Also have 10-35lbs dumbbells. I’m looking to get a pulldown/row machine next. As for cardio, I try to get on the peloton 4-5 days a week but hopefully with the warmer weather, I can start taking my cardio outdoors. Not sure how my knees will hold up to running these days though but I guess I’ll find out.

the hell with the gym, where did you put the bar?

I'd like to blame my weight gain on COVID and being in a new relationship right now, but I worked through Covid, and for whatever reason, ive just been eating for the last like five months, which preceded this relationship. I need to start doing something because I feel like I'm back up to 260. Now that its getting nicer out again i'm gonna start running, but I don't know where I want to start food-wise. I was vegetarian up until Thanksgiving and since then I've just said fuck it. While i'd like to be under 200, I feel like I was happy physically in the 210-220 range.

Start biking. Way easier on joints.

Nice. Congrats!

-Pasta

-Occasional pastry

I can send you a recipe for paleo bagels, and lentil pasta is a great alternative for regular pasta.

I too have put on the Covid-19.....My CrossFit box closed for good b/c of Covid. I had to shutdown my garage gym when it got cold since I don't have heat in there. I got an Echelon bike that I have used for the most part 3-4 days a week....I signed up for Apple Fitness which I have used sparingly. Once the weather gets nicer, I will open up my garage gym again, and sign up with my CrossFit coach for his at home CrossFit style programming....Basically sends a WOD to do every day. I recently bought a new bike and will bike to the office on days I have to go in. Did a trial ride today to see how long it would take me to go from Flushing, Queens to 59th/5th Ave. Going over the 59th street Manhattan bound is a bitch! 9.4 miles took me about 55 minutes.

wtf do you eat when you dont eat carbs (and sugar, I assume)?

For me, so far basically:

Berries. Melons. (Lower carb fruits).

Greek yogurt.

Salads.

Broccoli. Cauliflower.

Tuna fish.

Smoothies. (Coconut and/or almond milk).

Meats. (Mainly chicken and turkey)

Cheeses.

Crab meat and shrimp.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk