Thread: WPG Re-Sign F Blake Wheeler to 5-Year/$41.25M Extension; $8.25M AAV

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

WPG Re-Sign F Blake Wheeler to 5-Year/$41.25M Extension; $8.25M AAV

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rmc51's Avatar
    He has certainly earned it, but man...that contract could be an albatross as soon as this year or next.

Why? The Jets' core is in tact. He's 31. I don't think they need to worry much at all until like year four, earliest.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    He’s 32
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rmc51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Why? The Jets' core is in tact. He's 31. I don't think they need to worry much at all until like year four, earliest.
    Every player is different, but at 32 who knows when the regression will start to happen. It could be as soon as this season.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    He has certainly earned it, but man...that contract could be an albatross as soon as this year or next.
    Certainly not this year and highly unlikely next. Looking at the Jets window that seems fair enough.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    smells like Bobby Ryan
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Bantam Division lefty9's Avatar
    And most fans here are willing to give Panarin just about anything he asks,this guy really earned a four-year contract under nine mill a year

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    smells like Bobby Ryan
    Nah. He’ll be excellent for them in the next couple of seasons, which coincides with their window being open. The last 2 years could be rough, but if they win the cup it’ll be worth it. Seems like a gamble worth taking.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty9 View Post
    And most fans here are willing to give Panarin just about anything he asks,this guy really earned a four-year contract under nine mill a year
    Panarin is 5 years younger, a better scorer, and has about 530 less games of NHL wear and tear on him so stands to reason Panarin will sign for more years and more money...

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    He’s 32
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Every player is different, but at 32 who knows when the regression will start to happen. It could be as soon as this season.
    Fair enough. Then the first three years should be gravy. After that, wait and see.

A Stanley Cup any time between now and then, however, can go a long way in easing that jagged little pill.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    They'll be in cap shit next offseason. With a huge hole to fill on D, whether its Trouba or Myers.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    That has always been the problem with WPG. Now they only have $10 Million in projected cap space with Trouba becoming an RFA at the end of 19-20 and Myers will be a UFA at the end of said season. WPG will have real problems with trying to resign their main defensemen and key players such as Laine are RFAs come 2019-2020 and Copp is arbitration eligible

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets
    The waiting is over! The New York Rangers are the Stanley Cup Champions! And this one will last a lifetime!
    -Sam Rosen

24 years later, still waiting to see our team lift Lord Stanley's Cup

Quote Originally Posted by rangers02 View Post
    That has always been the problem with WPG. Now they only have $10 Million in projected cap space with Trouba becoming an RFA at the end of 19-20 and Myers will be a UFA at the end of said season. WPG will have real problems with trying to resign their main defensemen and key players such as Laine are RFAs come 2019-2020 and Copp is arbitration eligible

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/jets
    They were always going to have trouble signing Trouba. He's probably trade bait. Myers can go, too. They'll be fine. Byfuglien and Morrissey will be in for multi-years, and they still have Logan Stanley and Sami Niku to tap. They also have a deep forward group to trade from for help. Little, Perreault, and maybe even Ehlers (if they wanna get crazy) can get moved for D help.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    They do have a solid core with those main players getting those multi-year contracts and letting Myers go can give them some cap space and can go a long way by making a trade for a defenseman that can match Trouba's contract without that much of a cap hit.
    The waiting is over! The New York Rangers are the Stanley Cup Champions! And this one will last a lifetime!
    -Sam Rosen

24 years later, still waiting to see our team lift Lord Stanley's Cup

I'd be asking the Ducks or Preds about if they want help up front to part with a quality D.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    I wonder when hockey will figure it out like baseball has that you don't pay big sunset contracts, you pay the young guys

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    I wonder when hockey will figure it out like baseball has that you don't pay big sunset contracts, you pay the young guys
    Gotta pay to keep folks where they have no trees or parks.

Senior Member Midget Division
    This was a unique situation. Regardless of how we judge this move by the Jets, this was a difficult circumstance. Wheeler was one of the best players in the league last year and he is the true leader of that team. A late bloomer, all-around player and great leader, talk about underrated. Bobby Ryan has never touched the level Wheeler occupies, throw that comparison out.

The Jets are among the strongest immediate Cup contenders with a nice pipeline talent throughout the system. This was difficult and there were probably a hundred considerations discussed during this decision. Hard for us Ranger fans to even relate (or carve through) to this specific decision.

One thing we can take away, this shows you the what they think of Trouba's future with the team. Or at least his proven value. The GM has made a decision about who he's willing to give 8+ million to. The Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Not when the teams championship window is right now.
    I’m not sure what people expected the Jets to do here. He is their captain, unquestioned leader and was one of the truly elite players in the league last season. They are dead serious contenders this season and were obviously not going to head into it with uncertainty around Wheeler. You can quibble about the term, but he’d get that from someone else on the market.
    This contract clearly states that the organization is win now mode. It’s the right decision imo.