• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Panarin [Only] Has Eyes for New York?

Phil

Here?s one theory floating around the NHL among front-office types: Panarin?s desired destination is the New York Rangers. That doesn?t mean he?ll end up in Manhattan, but many believe that?s the club at the top of Panarin?s list. The Rangers, in the process of a short-term rebuild, aren?t willing to trade anything for Panarin right now, because the timing isn?t right for them. They don?t expect a playoff berth out of this season, only another top draft pick and another year of experience for their cluster of top young players. Plus, why would the Rangers give up anything for Panarin now when they can acquire him next summer as a free agent? The Blue Jackets say they don?t have an indication this is true. Panarin?s agent, Daniel Milstein, has denied the Rangers are his client?s No. 1 pick. But three different sources ? from three different clubs ? all said they heard Rangers.

https://theathletic.com/482440/2018/08/22/scratch-pad-4-updates-on-sergei-bobrovsky-artemi-panarin-rick-nash-and-other-blue-jackets-topics-as-summer-ends/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12? No. Maybe 9m per, max

And then there?s the Dave A.J.ustment. Somehow years ago he figured my salary figures need to be adjusted by x ~1.25 to be realistic. Brings us to 11.25. Seems high.

He's not getting a penny less than Kucherov (9.5), who is benefitting greatly from living in a state with no income tax. $12M is quite fair.

There's almost no number I wouldn't give him. $12M x 7? Bring it on.

He's not getting a penny less than Kucherov (9.5), who is benefitting greatly from living in a state with no income tax. $12M is quite fair.

Don't see him getting 12M. That's more than Tavares. Unless he blows up for 90-100 points and really can capitalize on free agency...I see him more around that Kucherov number. Maybe 10M. And I'd pay every penny. 7x10.

Panarin, Karlsson after another draft with 3 1st rounders. Hmmmmm.

I have trouble seeing the Rangers investing 7x11-12 money into a 29 year old Erik Karlsson. Even if he plays extremely well this season to discount the impact of the ankle issue, that contract would be a killer in a few years...just as the Rangers youth is hopefully starting to peak.

you go into these 7 year deals knowing the first 3 is where your money is spent, the 4th and 5th years are gravy is the production is still elite and tolerable if still solid... Years 6 and 7 are the price you have to pay.

If you want the upper crust of the UFA crop, you need 7 years- warts and all.

hope the story is true. This is the type of deal they should be looking to make. worse off they do this year the better. Imagine hitting the lotto, picking Hughes and than getting this guy next summer.

fucking cat bird seat.

i don't want Karlson, rather see if i can grab Trouba.

I'd gladly listen to lottery fix conspiracy theories for the next decade..

Panarin has been in the air, no doubt. This one may not be as obvious as Shatty, but a NY preference has leaked and our Russian connection is running deep. Gorton is really on to something and he's saved cap space. A Kovalev, Zubov, Nemchinov redux, but deeper.

Let's not bum out the good news with talk suggesting he wants to squeeze the Rangers of every last nickel. He won't need Tavares $ to come here. Plus he'll get a huge chunk, upfront.

All free agents are too old for 7 year commits, but that is the cost of doing the top FAs. Relatively, Panarin is on the younger side and may have more good years than most UFAs. He does not turn 27 till Oct and he has less NHL miles and injuries than most stars hitting UFA.

The thing to remember with long-term deals, too, is quality of player. There's a massive difference between signing a 28-year-old Panarin, who plays a finesse game, to a seven-year deal and signing a 28-year-old Ryan Callahan, who plays as a human missile, to the same.

hope the story is true. This is the type of deal they should be looking to make. worse off they do this year the better. Imagine hitting the lotto, picking Hughes and than getting this guy next summer.

fucking cat bird seat.

i don't want Karlson, rather see if i can grab Trouba.

Right on! I always tell Phil, hope is not a strategy ;) and neither is tanking (to start the season) in hopes of getting the #1 pick. But I really want Hughes. He and Panarin would immediately make this team a Cup contender.

Karlsson is too risky and isn't happening anyway. However, everyone is sleeping on RHD Fox, who also wants to play in NY and would fit here like a glove. And he's cheap as an unsigned college kid. Money leftover for Trouba or someone else? Trade Hayes and Zuc and Shatty for a top D prospect + picks.

Next years lineup: (Top 6 interchangeable)

Kreider Hughes Stone

Panarin Zbad Buchnevich

Kravtsov Chytil Howden

Names Lias Fast

Vesey Spooner Meskanen

Skjei Fox

Hajek Pionk

Top D prospect D'Angelo

Lindgren or Rykov

Hank

Shesty

Georgie