Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Panarin [Only] Has Eyes for New York?

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    The thing to remember with long-term deals, too, is quality of player. There's a massive difference between signing a 28-year-old Panarin, who plays a finesse game, to a seven-year deal and signing a 28-year-old Ryan Callahan, who plays as a human missile, to the same.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Exactly.. like buying a car with highway miles vs city miles.

FYI... you should apply the same logic when deciding who to have fun with and who to marry.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Exactly.. like buying a car with highway miles vs city miles.

FYI... you should apply the same logic when deciding who to have fun with and who to marry.
    Acqua in bocca

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Do it!

It will likely be 6-7 years before we are paying top dollar for talent we are drafting right now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slobberknocker View Post
    hope the story is true. This is the type of deal they should be looking to make. worse off they do this year the better. Imagine hitting the lotto, picking Hughes and than getting this guy next summer.

fucking cat bird seat.

i don't want Karlson, rather see if i can grab Trouba.
    Right on! I always tell Phil, hope is not a strategy and neither is tanking (to start the season) in hopes of getting the #1 pick. But I really want Hughes. He and Panarin would immediately make this team a Cup contender.

Karlsson is too risky and isn't happening anyway. However, everyone is sleeping on RHD Fox, who also wants to play in NY and would fit here like a glove. And he's cheap as an unsigned college kid. Money leftover for Trouba or someone else? Trade Hayes and Zuc and Shatty for a top D prospect + picks.

Next years lineup: (Top 6 interchangeable)

Kreider Hughes Stone
    Panarin Zbad Buchnevich
    Kravtsov Chytil Howden
    Names Lias Fast
    Vesey Spooner Meskanen

Skjei Fox
    Hajek Pionk
    Top D prospect D'Angelo
    Lindgren or Rykov

Hank
    Shesty
    Georgie
    Last edited by Giacomin; 08-24-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Do it!

It will likely be 6-7 years before we are paying top dollar for talent we are drafting right now anyway.
    We can afford a couple of well choosen free agents given the way roster is structured. Plus when Hayes, Zuc, Shatty, Hank and others are off the cap we'll be situated nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    We can afford a couple of well choosen free agents given the way roster is structured. Plus when Hayes, Zuc, Shatty, Hank and others are off the cap we'll be situated nicely.
    As long as the contract is fair. If heís asking 12mil then never mind

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    As long as the contract is fair. If he’s asking 12mil then never mind
    Yeah, was thinking something just over 10 mil should work unless the our competition is a no state tax team. Wonder if 6 years would be a consideration since he could always play a couple of years in his mid 30's in the KHL.

No way we trade for him, that would be a Carmelo like mistake. We are not dealing our 1st and we are not going for it this year.

No point in trading for him if we can get him without giving up assets.

No way I’m signing anyone in their late 20s to a 7 year massive contract with how this team sits today. Panarin is a great player and would be s massive upgrade but to what end? This team is three to four years away at best from contending. The later years of his contract are the important ones if those are the years the rangers expect to contend. I’m not gambling 10+million hoping he is still the same player at the end of this contract. There will be plenty of players willing to take a contract from the rangers and the rangers with cap space is a powerful position. The quick fix Idea is a dangerous one. If I can get Hughes, stone,and trouba too then sure it may make sense. But at what cost? That’s a ton of money. The rangers should do what they are doing now. Build from the ground. Build a foundation of homegrown talent. When that talent grows up a bit and forms a core of a contender then go supplement it with players like panarin.

Next summer we will have a better idea of where this team sits and the timeline that’s realistic. As of today it looks to early to me to make that kind of commitment. Panarin would be great but the rangers will need much more to win. The best way to get that is to draft and develop and that takes time. Probably the time of panarins prime years.

Panarin [Only] Has Eyes for New York?

You have to get talent when talent is available. If Panarin is there and wants in, you don't turn your nose up at him because you don't think he fits your projection. Especially because he would, alone, accelerate those projections.

By next summer, the Rangers could theoretically have made eight first-round picks in three years, and then have added Panarin to a team with Zibanejad and Skjei, among others, in prime position to become a contender.

And this says nothing of the possibility of adding Stone or Karlsson to boot. Both of whom would also accelerate the rebuild.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    There will always be talent there to grab via trade or free agency - Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Panarin. Just need to strike at the right time
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

They are the rangers not the coyotes. It’s nyc not Columbus. Players will always want to come. I’m all for adding talent. Paying $80m over 7 years isn’t turning over a stone and finding talent. There is a time and a place to make that move. Having that discussion before year 1 even starts of a rebuild is not that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    There will always be talent there to grab via trade or free agency - Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Panarin. Just need to strike at the right time
    Not really. Most of it never makes it to free agency, which only leaves trades, which subtract from your team or future to pull off.

When a 27-year-old point-per-game scorer hits the market and wants you, you sign him. Hard stop.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    They are the rangers not the coyotes. Itís nyc not Columbus. Players will always want to come. Iím all for adding talent. Paying $80m over 7 years isnít turning over a stone and finding talent. There is a time and a place to make that move. Having that discussion before year 1 even starts of a rebuild is not that time.
    Players is a catch all term that includes a load of bad ones. I don't care that "players" want to be here. I care that a relatively young superstar wants to.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Before year 1?

We've had 5 first round draft picks the last 2 years. (Plus Howden, Hajek, Rykov, and Lindgren)

And we're talking about adding a legit top-player without losing any assets.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Not really. Most of it never makes it to free agency, which only leaves trades, which subtract from your team or future to pull off.

When a 27-year-old point-per-game scorer hits the market and wants you, you sign him. Hard stop.

Whoís to say he makes it to free agency then? By your theory, he will get traded.
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Nothing. Except for the reports that he is eying the Rangers, coupled with the speculation that they won't trade for him. Deductive reasoning says that means he intends to test UFA and join the Rangers that way. It's not guaranteed. Nothing is. But there's a stronger probability of that happening now than there was last week.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    No way I’m signing anyone in their late 20s to a 7 year massive contract with how this team sits today.
    As this team sits today, totally agree. We need this entire year and next draft to sort out the entire future roster makeup. It goes way beyond evaluations and projections. Additionally, I'm not a fan of building a team that way because most high-priced longterm UFAs don't work out.

However, if the youth looks very promising and a few young vets progress, then we add Hughes (or RW Kakko, or one of 3 dynamic playmaking C's in Krebs, Newhook or Turcotte) plus other high picks, we're restocked. Add Fox to the blueline and our need becomes a reliable top line game changer. Why not keep our assets and use the freed-up cap space (Hayes, Zuc and others) to sign the healthiest, lowest miles UFA? Sure would be fun to watch. Let's not forget that's important too.

I need to see the team this year, and Panarin, before determining how strongly to consider him. Yet, let's not rule him out.

Panarin is a great player and would be s massive upgrade but to what end? This team is three to four years away at best from contending.
    The bold is just where I can't agree. It is possible, but also possible that we could begin competing as soon as next year. The important piece is that we have till July 1st and after the draft to decide what to do with free agency.

The later years of his contract are the important ones if those are the years the rangers expect to contend. I’m not gambling 10+million hoping he is still the same player at the end of this contract.
    He's the kind of player who could put up 200+ goals in the next 5 years. He's the type that can be effective in his early 30's. Who cares much what he does after that.

There will be plenty of players willing to take a contract from the rangers and the rangers with cap space is a powerful position.
    I hope we can leverage the extra cap space this year (still can help a team take on Karlsson). Not many perfect fit stars hit the market, just turning 28, in their prime, healthy and want to play here.

The quick fix Idea is a dangerous one. If I can get Hughes, stone,and trouba too then sure it may make sense. But at what cost? That’s a ton of money. The rangers should do what they are doing now. Build from the ground. Build a foundation of homegrown talent.
    Correct. No way should we do a quick fix, only if things are really coming together. The Rangers should not do anything to disrupt building a foundation of homegrown talent.

Doubt we could afford Trouba and Stone, after signing Panarin. However, one might be possible, but only if it feels like one of the last important pieces.

Next summer we will have a better idea of where this team sits and the timeline that’s realistic.
    Exactly! Why speculate out further than this year and the draft, as that comes into focus. There is so so much to learn in the next 10-11 months.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 08-24-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Nothing. Except for the reports that he is eying the Rangers, coupled with the speculation that they won't trade for him. Deductive reasoning says that means he intends to test UFA and join the Rangers that way. It's not guaranteed. Nothing is. But there's a stronger probability of that happening now than there was last week.
    Also that he won't negotiate with Columbus and rumor is he may have to be traded as a rental because he is reluctant to negotiate an extension anywhere.

That said, if Tampa trades for him there is a reasonable danger he signs with them. He is friends with Kuch and they are a good team in a no tax state. If Tampa wants Karlsson, we are there to help. If they need help to sign Panarin, forgetaboutit.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast