• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL.com 31 for 31: Inside Look at New York Rangers

josh

https://www.nhl.com/news/2018-19-new-york-rangers-season-preview/c-299783254?tid=290471364

NHL.com 31 for 31: Inside look at New York Rangers

NHL.com is providing in-depth roster, prospect and fantasy analysis for each of its 31 teams throughout August. Today, the New York Rangers.

The New York Rangers enter the 2018-19 season in full rebuilding mode. They have a new coach, David Quinn, and a roster made up mostly of young players with a few returning veterans from a team that missed the Stanley Cup Playoffs last season for the first time since 2010.

But don't mistake a rebuild as an excuse to lower expectations for the Rangers, who have missed the playoffs twice since goaltender Henrik Lundqvist arrived in the 2005-06 season.

culture culture culture

"When I write the names down on paper, I look and I say, 'This guy can be better. That guy can be better. We can get more out of this guy,'" Gorton said. "Sometimes when you're going through your team, you're thinking, 'Maybe we got the most out of this guy,' but I don't feel that here. I feel like everybody here has something to prove."

Also sections on:

[Rangers 31 IN 31: 3 Questions | Top prospects | Fantasy breakdown | Behind the Numbers]

I think those guys are absolutely DEAD ON! I also don't think Hank will tolerate the rebuilding process for very long. I'll bet he gets tired of it by Christmas. I totally can't see a guy as competitive as him having the patience to face 40-45 shots a night and giving up 5 or 6 goals a game because of defensive lapses from young players.

No way.

I love Hank to death but this team needs to find him a home where he can win that elusive Stanley Cup. There's no way this team even sniffs the playoffs this year, and I have to try to even remember that myself! Even as a fan I have to take a totally different approach to what to expect from watching these guys this year.

I don't even know what to look for at this point, other than I wanna see these young guys...and a lot of them get playing time and watch them grow up. The flip side of that is that there's going to be a steep learning curve, and I have to digest the fact that they're going to lose a lot of games....

I suppose it's like being a Yankees fan and watching the Mets lose in 13 innings because of a collision and a dropped pop up! :rofl:

The plan is to redevelop and then we will have another stretch to win a stanley cup in the later years. The main question is will we resign Hank? He has given us the best chance to win every night.

No. The only way we'd do something like that is as a backup. Let's face it, Hank hasn't been that Vezina caliber goaltender for a couple years now and he'll have two kids pushing for that starting role. Maybe he'll do what Kevin Weekes did and split time, but I can't see that happening long term.

No. The only way we'd do something like that is as a backup. Let's face it, Hank hasn't been that Vezina caliber goaltender for a couple years now and he'll have two kids pushing for that starting role. Maybe he'll do what Kevin Weekes did and split time, but I can't see that happening long term.

You're right. He hasn't been the best that we hoped for and Hank won't take too kindly that the team around him has been significantly underachieving, especially around the defense (which should be better this year with Stall, Shattenkirk along with Skjei getting a three-year contract). There's nowhere to go but up for the future

Archived