• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dan Rosen Interviews New Rangers HC Quinn

josh

Dan Rosen sat down with Quinn to discuss some hot topics heading into camp.

https://www.nhl.com/news/rangers-coach-david-quinn-praises-henrik-lundqvist/c-299767120

Lundqvist one of 'best in the business,' says new Rangers coach

On transitioning from coaching in college to coaching in the NHL: "I think sometimes what can get lost in our game is simplicity. You know, there's a couple nets, there's some lines and some circles out there.

On preparing for training camp: "Obviously there are guys that have established themselves to a certain degree, but for me it's going to be fun to be on the ice with all these guys for the first time. I want to see who is ready to compete, who is ready to play fast, who is willing to get their nose dirty, who is going to the net, who is defending at the net, who is ready to be physical. Those are all the things you need to have success. It's a clean slate for everybody for sure, but that being said, there are guys who have established themselves and hopefully will lead the way in training camp."

On the Rangers style and what will look different about them from last year: "We're going to be a team that wants to pressure the puck. We want to possess the puck and have it all built around good, structural defense.

On the young players coming into camp and how many realistically can be on the team: "I think it's hard to put a number on that. I think their play is going to dictate who makes it, who sticks.

The veterans drive the bus. If the veterans can take control of the team and have years they're capable of having it certainly makes it a lot easier for the younger guys to step in and not feel that type of pressure. We have a bunch of good veterans coming back that maybe didn't have the years that they wanted to have last year and they're looking to rebound. We're asking the guys that are coming back, the veterans, to do the things they've done that have allowed them to have success at the NHL level. We're not asking a guy who has only scored 25 goals in a season in his career to score 40. We're asking the guys to do the things they've already done at this level and be consistent with it."

"I want to see who is ready to compete, who is ready to play fast, who is willing to get their nose dirty, who is going to the net, who is defending at the net, who is ready to be physical. Those are all the things you need to have success."

:drool:

I'll believe it when I see it, Zucc! I'm hoping for a "lunch pail gang" type team that doesn't care about anything but 100% effort. The results probably won't show for a year or more, but for the love of Christ and all that's holy...PLEASE! Give me some hard working 100% effort and physical play!

Ozzy questioning the coach already?!?

I like what he says, hopefully Quinn can transition well to the NHL game. I like what I've heard and read about his communication, accountability, style, what he expects, etc. He's been preaching defensive structure, so that should appease the FireAV crowd. Hopefully we see this work out, and we get a better lockerroom.

i never played the game other than on the street level so forgive me but what does it mean when he said "We want to have five-man gaps all over the ice. "

can someone give me a structural definition of this type of strategy.

thanks.

Having a good gap is 1 to 2 stick lengths away from the puck/puck carrier. A five man gap is like a five pointed star surrounding the puck at all times and that star moves as a unit anywhere on the ice. So there is always a player ready to get the puck and he should have an awareness of where his teammates are to an extent.

I'm not claiming this to be anything but my personal opinion from playing in my past. It certainly could be dead wrong.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Nothing more than the defense and forwards supporting the play. Forwards not flying the defensive zone and always looking for stretch passes. Defenseman getting up on the play and supporting the forecheck. Basically he?s saying to do the complete opposite of the prior asshole?s system. Defend as a unit and attack as a unit. Wow what a concept. I like him already

i never played the game other than on the street level so forgive me but what does it mean when he said "We want to have five-man gaps all over the ice. "

can someone give me a structural definition of this type of strategy.

thanks.

Structured team defense, keeping positioning provides support while taking away space and passing lanes, spread out, not 3 men chasing the guy with the puck.

Maintaining space between defenders, cover the ice in hopes to take away chances.

"5 men in the frame". Not very different from Renney and Torts.

Gap is more of a zone as opposed to a collapse that Renney and eventually Torts used, although Torts system was probably a bit more aggressive (box & 1 pressuring the puck) than what I expect from Quinn.

But very similar, not the man to man chase-down we saw under AV

Ozzy questioning the coach already?!?

I like what he says, hopefully Quinn can transition well to the NHL game. I like what I've heard and read about his communication, accountability, style, what he expects, etc. He's been preaching defensive structure, so that should appease the FireAV crowd. Hopefully we see this work out, and we get a better lockerroom.

:rofl:

Seeing is believing! LOL

We have a bunch of good veterans coming back that maybe didn't have the years that they wanted to have last year and they're looking to rebound. We're asking the guys that are coming back, the veterans, to do the things they've done that have allowed them to have success at the NHL level. [/Quote]

Translation?

CAPTAIN BRENDAN SMITH!!!!

A structure? Is that one ok with you? Base? Foundation?

Pressure, 2 man on the puck, man to man, collapse. Gaps aren’t as defined.

When I say zone. I don’t mean 1 guy stands in one area. More like a set “shapes” that moves and adjusts together... which would be a 5-man gap structure, more focus on positioning of your teammates.

(Too much SU basketball, and it’s how we explained things to new comers bc everyone is used to see the moving zone and how the players adjust). Stay in your own zone. Move accordingly

Archived