• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Who is Still Here in 2021-22?

josh

Which current guys will still be Rangers in 4 seasons? This is the season following Smith, Staal, Lundqvist and Shattenkirk contracts expire. Zibs will have another season on his contract and will be 28 years old. 27 year old Skjei will have 3 seasons remaining on his.

What vets make it through?

Feel free to mention prospects, but I'd like to focus on guys with NHL experience.

This is a tough one because so many of the FWD contracts end the year prior - Vesey, Namestinikov, Spooner, Buchnevich, Fast, Kreider, so you have to wonder who they re-sign out of those guys.

I have a feeling they're going to hold onto Namestnikov, not really sure why, though if my calculations are correct, he's going to be 30 in 2022.

I can see them re-signing Buchnevich and possibly Fast.

Looking at the D - I hope some of the kids are here, and that also includes DeAngelo, who I'm really hoping blossoms and flourishes.

Definitely think Pionk stays as well.

Think Henrik re-signs?

I think Fast is eventually moves, or walks.

I'd expect Buch to still be inconsistently putting up points on the 2nd line, too.

I hope not, or that money I spent on a Fast jersey will be a waste

but in reality, I don't think he offers a ton in trade value that makes him worth moving, but brings enough playoff experience, effort and Penalty Killing where he's worth keeping (assuming he wants to stay)

I hope not, or that money I spent on a Fast jersey will be a waste

but in reality, I don't think he offers a ton in trade value that makes him worth moving, but brings enough playoff experience, effort and Penalty Killing where he's worth keeping (assuming he wants to stay)

He has a great contract, versatile, pks, puts up a few points - perfect bottom 6 guy for a playoff team.

He has a great contract, versatile, pks, puts up a few points - perfect bottom 6 guy for a playoff team.

i do agree with that (he has come up clutch in playoff games his entire time here as well) but I don't see the return for him being much more than a 3rd round pick or so. Certainly not enough to truly help accelerate the rebuild and what we gain keeping him probably outweighs the return he'd bring. The 2020 Deadline, if he isn't already extended and they don't think he's going to come back, then you are certainly right and could be moved, but I would hope that he's just a rental and could come back via UFA

Chytl or Andersson but not both; Fast; Krieder; Skjei. This exercise gets fun when you are required to add a dark horse to your list. I'll say Vesey.

I predict that Krieder meshes well with Quinn, so he's around longer than you might expect.

If Lias isn't a big part of the roster in 21-22 then that doesn't reflect particularly well on that pick imo.

He’s a rock. Don’t worry about him.

He’s not a flashy goal scorer, so that gets translated into being a bust.

Chytl or Andersson but not both; Fast; Krieder; Skjei. This exercise gets fun when you are required to add a dark horse to your list. I'll say Vesey.

I predict that Krieder meshes well with Quinn, so he's around longer than you might expect.

Curious as to why you say that. Not saying you're absolutely wrong just wondering what you think would happen.

He’s a rock. Don’t worry about him.

He’s not a flashy goal scorer, so that gets translated into being a bust.

I'm not really that worried. But it says a fair bit about the confidence in that pick that seemingly most on here thinks he won't be here by 21.

My take is that he'll turn out a solid 2 or 3 C, not really setting the world alight but being an important part of the roster. And definitely here in 21.

I'm not really that worried. But it says a fair bit about the confidence in that pick that seemingly most on here thinks he won't be here by 21.

My take is that he'll turn out a solid 2 or 3 C, not really setting the world alight but being an important part of the roster. And definitely here in 21.

This groups has always preferred more flashy players, Prucha, Dawes, Del zotto, Christian Thomas, Erik christensen.

Our track record, collectively, isn’t much better than the Rangers

This groups has always preferred more flashy players, Prucha, Dawes, Del zotto, Christian Thomas, Erik christensen.

Our track record, collectively, isn’t much better than the Rangers

Would you have drafted Callahan at 7 OA? Leadership, physical, 20g/55ish point player...?

Would you have drafted Callahan at 7 OA? Leadership, physical, 20g/55ish point player...?

Yes, I would have drafted Ryan Callahan at 7 OA if he was going to be a 20g, 55ish point center with the other attributes you mention over the bulk of his prime while also likely starting his NHL career a couple years younger. Callahan's first full season was at 22 (52 games), I expect Andersson's to be at a similar place at either 19 or 20. Callahan peaked in the range above around 25 and only had 2 seasons in that range. If Lias peaks around 22 and has 5 seasons in that range, I'll be happy with the pick.

Put a different way, if Andersson becomes a Ryan O'Reilly type, I'm good with the pick, along with the Chytil and Kravtsov selections for more skill at the forward position as balance.

Archived