• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Weather Thread

GordonGecko

Got what I expected here. Where were the busts? Lower Manhattan and Long Island I’d assume up that way. Snow/mix line always looked tough to pinpoint near I-95

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Manhhatan snow had melted by 10 am, queens all black top in the morning, sidewalks most melted by EOD

Manhhatan snow had melted by 10 am, queens all black top in the morning, sidewalks most melted by EOD

The storm was always a bigger threat (and it produced) across the interior. More than 6 inches in parts of PA and NW NJ and over 10 inches across parts of New England.

Tough to get appreciable accumulating snow in NYC or LI when it?s 40 degrees the day of the storm.

Unfortunately the media overhypes nearly everything these days. It?s a joke.

Also, lack of common sense (closing nyc schools). 40 degrees the day of a snow event. It?s March, sun angle (even through clouds) will nuke wet snow. Even a 4-8 Inch snowfall regionwide in NYC area would have been no big deal on March 4th with temps at or above freezing. Pavement temps are above freezing too.

Even here where I?ve had 10? of snow in the past 2 days there was only 3-4 inches on the driveway and roads.

Braindead decision making.

• 5 months later...
That storm last Thursday hit my area like it was a hurricane. We had tons of trees down, many cars were crushed by trees, some trees fell on a couple of houses. It came out of no where. We lost power at like 9pm and finally got it back at 3 pm Friday. We know people that didn't get power back in my neighborhood until Saturday afternoon. We didn't even get any warnings about the storm.

Peak hurricane time is mid-August through later September so this is right on cue. If anything warmer ocean waters can prolong things through autumn although upper level winds become more of a factor. You usually see your big ones (ANDREW, KATRINA, ETC) later August through early October.

Parsley give me your GUT!?If you had to say,where's this making landfall?, been watching everyone shift this from barely a tropical storm to now a 3 and from anywhere up to North carolina or Georgia to South Florida(me) to North florida! Gut??

All signs point to Florida right now. Particularly central or south Florida. I?m no tropical forecasting guru so I wouldn?t but much weight into my thoughts with the storm 3-4 days away still.

Intensity is nearly impossible to nail down. As we?ve seen the past few years with the right conditions these storms can strengthen rapidly.

I?ll keep you posted.

Big question this morning is whether or not Dorian is pulled north as it approaches the peninsula of Florida. Some models like the Euro and UKMET buzzsaw it west right into central/south Florida while others yank it northwest or north (due to upper level wind patterns over the U.S. and North Atlantic) toward the Carolinas as it approaches. This is a common forecast question as tropical systems approach the U.S.

• 1 year later...