Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The Weather Thread

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    My wife cousin was doing work at Busch Gardens in Virginia, they set up all the theme parks for the holidays, and she was flown back to Georgia to do something real quick, and was supposed to fly back to Virginia on Friday morning. Now she doesn't know what is going to happen. She told us she might be stuck in a hotel for the next couple of days.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley View Post
    Not much change in the overall look to things. Major impact for eastern SC and eastern NC both coast and inland. Outer bands of the hurricane starting to come on shore now. Going to be a long 3-4 days for those folks. Even though it is no longer a "major" hurricane the slow speed of the storm will allow it to dump flooding rain while the beaches get battered for days with tidal flooding, major waves and beach erosion.

Weather Channel is calling this the storm of a lifetime... #clickbait?

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    My wife cousin was doing work at Busch Gardens in Virginia, they set up all the theme parks for the holidays, and she was flown back to Georgia to do something real quick, and was supposed to fly back to Virginia on Friday morning. Now she doesn't know what is going to happen. She told us she might be stuck in a hotel for the next couple of days.
    Luckily both Georgia and even coastal Virginia should be spared the worst of it as the Carolinas take a direct hit. That sucks she could be stuck though.

Places like Wilmington NC and Myrtle Beach SC look to see the worst overall (rain + wind) impact. I think plenty of inland towns (many of which are very low income, unfortunately) are going to see devastating flooding. Sad.

Last edited by Parsley; 09-13-2018 at 10:04 AM.

They were saying on the news that there are tons of smaller streams that run through both North and South Carolina that empty into the ocean, and they are afraid that the water is going to get pushed back up stream and cause massive flooding.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Weather Channel is calling this the storm of a lifetime... #clickbait?
    They said its gotten bigger, and that it is slowing down, so its going to pound them for a while, Ive heard 3+ feet of rain in area's. The eye is so well formed as well. This thing is going to be devastating.

Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Seems like the intensity has been rapidly dropping, 4 to 3 to now 2. Seems like maybe a 1 on landfall

Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    Seems like the intensity has been rapidly dropping, 4 to 3 to now 2. Seems like maybe a 1 on landfall
    Yup. Unexpected upper level shear beat her down. Still a major rain and surge producer with its slow movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Bantam Division
    This is going to be a rain/flooding storm.. The winds will die down but the glacial pace of the storm will just bring so much water down.. I'm well inland and they are saying anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of rain. The coast is looking at 30+

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    This is going to be a rain/flooding storm.. The winds will die down but the glacial pace of the storm will just bring so much water down.. I'm well inland and they are saying anywhere from 6 to 10 inches of rain. The coast is looking at 30+
    Where you at exactly?

Yup. Rain totals 50-100 miles inland could even be as high as the coast. Depends how the bands set up. Stay safe.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Thanks man- I'm in Charlotte.. It looks like it's going to move south before we get the worst part- we are just outside the band looking at 10-15 inches. I hate to wish it on anyone, but hope it stays away from here.

My folks on the other hand, they live about half way up the coast between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington- needless to say they have headed inland.

Quote Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
    Thanks man- I'm in Charlotte.. It looks like it's going to move south before we get the worst part- we are just outside the band looking at 10-15 inches. I hate to wish it on anyone, but hope it stays away from here.

My folks on the other hand, they live about half way up the coast between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington- needless to say they have headed inland.
    Glad they got inland. Going to be a mess down there by the time the weekend is over.

Gusts in excess of 100 mph are being reported in buoys just off the NC coast. Obviously winds over water will be higher than over land due to less friction but this storm surely means business.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Who has pity for those people that are begging for help now that they are getting flooded after not listening to authorities to evacuate?
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

The writing was on the wall for massive storm surges (Sandy-like) and potentially 20-40 inches of rain in some areas due to the slow movement of the storm. Unfortunately, the way tropical storms are classified Cat 1 - Cat 5 some make it seem as if a Cat 1 or 2 can't be life threatening or destructive. That's just not the cast.

You almost wonder if a new classification chart should be made. Based more on impact vs. core strength of the hurricane.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post

Iíve said it a million times, media tarnishes the science of meteorology. Hype, fear and bullshit.

The weather Channel used to be a legit source (80s and early 90s) now itís B.S.

SO much hype from this one. Watching the news last Thursday every word had to be prefixed with a big scary adjective "Life threatening" winds, "catastrophic" flooding, "devastating" storm - all before the storm even arrived. The on scene people all had their tight camera shots of a windy or flooded spot and when the cameraman panned to a different area when they didn't track the reporter exactly you could see that everywhere else was fine except that one spot they were hyperventalating about.

Come get some! Junior Division
    Snow?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Honor, Tradition, Respect... This is what it means to be a NEW YORK RANGER!

Quote Originally Posted by Chizz View Post
    Snow?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    CHIZZ!!!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast