• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Plugging the Holes: A Look at the Rangers? PTO Options

Phil

But despite entering the first full season of their rebuild, the Rangers are also, perhaps most importantly, focused on the bigger picture ? a grand vision that will depend heavily on the proper development of their most promising youngsters.

As such, it?s already a foregone conclusion that many of their prospects will be shutout on their first attempts to make the jump to the NHL this fall. It?s not just roster regulars and on-the-cusp AHLers they?re facing off against, either. One or more could lose their spot to an overlooked signing like Fredrik Claesson?s, or to a Professional Tryout contract (PTOs) turned NHL deal should the stars align for any veteran(s) invited to camp this fall.

While a return to Junior or an assignment to the also rebuilding Hartford Wolf Pack might feel like defeat to any given prospect cut from camp this fall, in almost every case, it?s likely the best course of action for their career development. After all, top minutes played in a development league are surely more beneficial to professional growth than a reduced role as the thirteenth forward on a team expected to lose more than it wins.

Tommy Wingels, LW/RW

Ahead of the free agent market opening back in June, Larry Brooks of the New York Post mentioned Wingels, 30, as a potential UFA target for the Rangers. It?s unclear if the Blueshirts did, in fact, explore contract talks with the veteran forward, but with September a mere three weeks away, Wingels is still unsigned and could be a prime target for a PTO.

Scoring has never really been the fort? of the dual-position, right-handed winger. Certainly not at the NHL level where he?s now three seasons removed from back-to-back 30+ point campaigns with the San Jose Sharks from 2013 to 2015. But what he does bring is the kind of fiery, competitive nature that?s well-suited for a more traditional fourth-line role, if not as a team?s thirteenth forward.

Lee Stempniak, RW

A New York Ranger for all of 53 games back in 2014-15, Lee Stempniak, 35, has twice in the last three seasons found a considerable scoring streak playing middle-six minutes for a couple of poor New Jersey Devils and Carolina Hurricanes squads. In fact, that scoring touch totals 100 points split between the Devils, Hurricanes, and Boston Bruins over that stretch. Not bad for a journeyman.

Things took a bit of a dramatic dip for the career 0.52 point per game played (P/GP) player last season, who scored just nine points in 37 games. Those games almost all came after the turn of the new year, however, after injuries sidelined the start of his second season in Raleigh. But despite the likelihood Stempniak won?t be back for a third year with Carolina, the proclivity he?s shown as a quality depth scorer could be all the reason a team like the Rangers need to offer him another shot in New York.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/8/12/17678922/plugging-the-holes-a-look-at-the-new-york-rangers-professional-tryout-options

--

Also discussed/explored are guys like Cody Franson, Troy Brouwer, and others.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A gentleman the New York Rangers should be looking at is big-bodied, fast skating winger out of Scarborough,Ontario and played for the Kingston Frortenacs under the tutelage of Bruce Cassidy, 245 lbs Chris Stewart. This guy brings a physical presence, work ethic and attitude you’d want surrounding all that young talent. He can slot up and down the lineup, on either wing. He really fills that 2nd/3rd line versatile veteran void this team needs, and brings physicality and speed we don’t see with a Spooner and Namestnikov. Essentially, a Grabner replacement with a bit more physicality.

Stewart was in the abs organization at the same time as Quinn. They might have been together for a couple of games, so there may be some familiarity.

That's why these guys are on PTOs and not signed to contracts. You can still see what the kids have at the same time.

Yeah, but I agree with Slobber, why bother? What is to be gained out of adding Stemp, or even Wingels? Gorton was talking about the overseas kids who are competing for a spot on the Rangers. Then there is Vinni, Boo and other kids we need to get regular season burn to see if they are NHL meddle. These aren't 19 year olds and this is the year to see if any of these kids are any good at this level. Or Bellesky?

We are also starting the season with the full compliment of Zuc and all the RFAs. Many were thinking at least one would be traded. So, not much room for forwards if Chytil and Lias both make it. I'd rather we completely focus on dev and self evaluation. Meanwhile mgmt can be patient, seeking the right opportunity to make a great trade or two.

Did you read the article? I laid out, pretty concretely, what the benefit is. Worst case scenario, they help to provide a highly-competitive training camp environment that ensures no one is being gift wrapped a roster spot. Best case, they perform well enough to garner a short-term, non-problematic contract to fill out the minor fourth-line/third pairing and/or 13F/7D roles that would be wasted on the young, promising players.

Ty Ronning, for example, has a metric ton more to learn playing top minutes for Hartford than he does playing 13F or revolving door with Cody McLeod on a team that's going to lose more games than it wins. The same is true of basically every player under the age of like 23.

Meskanen and Lindqvist would also qualify here. So would Beleskey, and I suppose Lettieri and Nieves (thoguh I'm high on neither). But again, the goal is to safeguard the proper development of young kids, and to produce a highly-competitive training camp.

Given the ability to cut bait at any time, I fail to see the issue with inviting literally anyone to camp on a PTO.

You want to add a player that can play important minutes while Lias, Chytil, Meskanen, Ronning, or whomever can play sheltered minutes on the bottom line, when necessary. Hanging a kid out to dry every shift isnt development.

Additionally, there's nothing wrong with a rookie playing 40-60 games (still more than they are used to) while practicing and adjusting to the pro game being with the team all season.

Then why would you want to bring in another Beleskey or McCloud for them to play with? So he can play with one in Hartford, too?

The only way they will be playing with plugs, is if we keep adding plugs.

Add to the top 6 so you can shelter kids in the bottom 6. Give them someone to look up to an potentially emulate - which they wont have looking up to Cody McLeod in Hartford.

Did you read the article? I laid out, pretty concretely, what the benefit is. Worst case scenario, they help to provide a highly-competitive training camp environment that ensures no one is being gift wrapped a roster spot. Best case, they perform well enough to garner a short-term, non-problematic contract to fill out the minor fourth-line/third pairing and/or 13F/7D roles that would be wasted on the young, promising players.

Ty Ronning, for example, has a metric ton more to learn playing top minutes for Hartford than he does playing 13F or revolving door with Cody McLeod on a team that's going to lose more games than it wins. The same is true of basically every player under the age of like 23.

Meskanen and Lindqvist would also qualify here. So would Beleskey, and I suppose Lettieri and Nieves (thoguh I'm high on neither). But again, the goal is to safeguard the proper development of young kids, and to produce a highly-competitive training camp.

Given the ability to cut bait at any time, I fail to see the issue with inviting literally anyone to camp on a PTO.

Sure, I get your point and you are not trying to steal time from a faulty plan (or worthwhile younger players). Couldn't resist the reference.

My point is why bother. This may elucidate it better.

KZB

Names, Chytil, Zuc

Vesey, Hayes, Spooner

x, Lias, Fast

There is only one X, not much room, hardly a gift. X can be one of Meskanen, Lindqvist, Boo, Vinni (Howden is also being given a shot, though I prefer he starts in Hartford and gets a callup)

Bellesky or McLoud as the 13th. If the 13th man will be used a lot then Boo or Vinni or other depth works too.

Ronning should really start in Hartford. IMO that is definitely the right move in his overall development. He needs to play against older/bigger AHLers (even if it is just a month or so) so his adjustment to the NHL isn't so dramatic. Not directed at you Phil, but for some prospects like Ronning, taking the ordinary dev path (one step/level at a time) is the most prudent and fruitful. We've seen this a lot with short players.

I disagree entirely with the idea of Andersson as fourth-line center. He's better off as 1C with HFD, if that's the only alternative.

I should also say that I don't actually expect any PTO to earn a contract. They'd be here mostly for competition. But you never know. If that costs someone like Beleskey a job, who cares?

BTW, it also seems we have not cut bait with anyone but Tambo, who wasn't a real prospect. Why not give the best guy in preseason a shot. Unless they all suck, someone will have earned it. It is time for more youth (or cut loose some of these guys) to actually play a few games and either prove something or GTFO. I'm not talking Ronning or if the new overseas kids just need some more seasoning. That I get completely.

I disagree entirely with the idea of Andersson as fourth-line center. He's better off as 1C with HFD, if that's the only alternative.

I should also say that I don't actually expect any PTO to earn a contract. They'd be here mostly for competition. But you never know. If that costs someone like Beleskey a job, who cares?

I hear ya about Lias. I'm curious to see how he looks in preseason. It is also possible that Chytil or one of the young kids plays some wing ala Babcock. To take off the D pressure that comes with the C position. A line of Chytil, Lias and Zuc could get O zone starts, while Hayes's line gets more of the D responsibilities.

Also agree that if we find a PTO who is better than Bellesky or McLoud and deliver some physical play, send them both to Hartford, who cares.

this isnt 1989 where the 4th line gets 3 minutes to kill penalties and to fight.

Marner spent time on the 4th line. Sheltered minutes, able to develop, learn the game, etc.

Ronning probably needs to be in the AHL. Lias, Chytil are smart guys. They've played against men for over 2 years now. They're next step will be mental, learning the game. This comes from being around NHLers, the NHL game, the Rangers practices, etc. Meskanen and Lindqvist have also played against men, and the jury is still out.

A couple of PTOs for camp and early preseason isn't a bad idea. Make these kids feel like they're competing with NHL caliber players for the final roster spots instead of just other prospects. It'll be good for their development. It also gives the Rangers more options to send young players back to their junior teams or to Hartford if they're clearly not ready yet while still having enough players for camp practices, scrimages and preseason. Keeping young players in camp longer than they have earned just because you need the bodies would give them a false sense of where they are, developmentally.

The vets on the PTOs have an opportunity to show themselves to other teams that might need a depth forward/defender.

this isnt 1989 where the 4th line gets 3 minutes to kill penalties and to fight.

Marner spent time on the 4th line. Sheltered minutes, able to develop, learn the game, etc.

Ronning probably needs to be in the AHL. Lias, Chytil are smart guys. They've played against men for over 2 years now. They're next step will be mental, learning the game. This comes from being around NHLers, the NHL game, the Rangers practices, etc. Meskanen and Lindqvist have also played against men, and the jury is still out.

Marner spent time on 4th line because he was in chateau bow wow after a 60ish point season, no?

Absolutely bring in some vets for competition. Especially on D. I love the idea of Stewart coming in on a PTO. I've brought up his name when we were all talking about bringing in a vet for leadership.

There's definitely a few names out there that I would like to see invited to camp.

Stewart

Brouwer

Ward

Vermette

Versteeg

Stafford

Just to name a few. Maybe even a goalie. Lindback? Mason?

Extra forward, 4th line center and wing are the holes potentially filled by such players.

This is an enjoyable topic simply because it is forward looking. It also gets me amped for camp. Ironically, being more excited about seeing the kids has me less enthusiastic about any of the mentioned PTOs.

Josh, agreed, no reason a 4th line role means 8 minutes a game. It is all about the coach's approach to usage, the impact of special teams and the ability/chemistry of one's linemates. Which then translates into performance.

Fast on your line allows for a lot of liberties including letting one concentrate on what they do best. He takes pressure of guys defensively and along the walls, which would mix well with Lias. He's a countryman. If the right kid emerges at LW, these guys are trusted with a regular shift. Our 4th line does not need to be stapled to the bench. Add that Lias could win a spot on the 2nd PP unit.

This also has an "earn it" foundation. You earn a spot on the PP unit. You earn a promotion from the 4th line. Or increased playing time.

Phil, I get what you are saying, but Spooner could be a 4th liner or 2nd. Same with Names or Vesey. There is hardly a difference as it stands now. Our 2nd line LW isn't Jaden Schwartz or Kyle Connor. Lias isn't missing out on much.

Maybe Meskanen or Lindqvist is a legit NHLer with upside. If either is ready enough , let's give them a spin. There is Howden. Maybe Vinni and Boo's last shot to show something. For them, another year in Hartford tells mgmt nothing.

Josh, the guys you mentioned are more experienced kids, just by playing better competition for longer. I want to see who emerges. Nothing wrong with what Phil and AJ suggest, but I'd rather not give the coach a vet crutch. Time to build something and this is the year to not worry about if the kids make more mistakes than a contender could tolerate.

Archived