Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68

Thread: Plugging the Holes: A Look at the Rangers’ PTO Options

  1. #41
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,113
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Anyone that can take the 13th forward spot away from Mcleod, or as a PK specialist is a definite need for this team. Possibly a 4th line center too, though I'm more confident in Nieves getting that job than others, but since it's a discussion, it's not a bad thing to add options that aren't guaranteed contracts.
    True
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  2. #42
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,227
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Mika was only better on the PP.
    Zib is the better offensive player. Even strength, PP, on a Tuesday, against left handed goalies, when it's spaghetti night, and when the Dow is up.

    I go with Zib to be the teams top center. You take Hayes....

  3. #43
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    76,068
    Rep Power
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He was our best offensive center, our best defensive center, and took the important draws.
    Defensive yes.

    Offensive no, and think we need to check about draws as Zib was out alot just for draws.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,769
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    He was our best offensive center, our best defensive center, and took the important draws.
    What do you mean by "the important draws"? A D-zone faceoff while up a goal with 30s left, Hayes is probably in. If down by a goal with 30s left and an O-zone faceoff Im pretty sure Zib was the go-to guy.

    Zib was slightly better at the dot with 50.8% against Hayes' 50.5%.

    Zib is levels above Hayes offensively, the opposite defensively.

  5. #45
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division thes5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    playing, competing, developing.

    You NEED someone to take the hard minutes, the hard matchups, etc on a nightly basis, or the kids get stuck with them.
    Why? So they can win a few more games and, potentially, deteriorate their chance of drafting higher?
    It is becoming a younger league, so why not let the kids play? Now, if a kid like Howden is physically immature, you don't want to get him hurt, but otherwise, sink or swim.

  6. #46
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,929
    Rep Power
    430
    That's not how you develop kids. That's how you destroy them. See Del Zotto, Michael; Malhotra, Manny; Gagner, Sam.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #47
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division thes5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's not how you develop kids. That's how you destroy them. See Del Zotto, Michael; Malhotra, Manny; Gagner, Sam.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Maybe, or maybe those players were never going to live up to expectations. It happens all the time. On the other hand, kids are brought in without professional experience and they exceed expectations. Are these things quantifiable?

  8. #48
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,113
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by thes5 View Post
    Why? So they can win a few more games and, potentially, deteriorate their chance of drafting higher?
    It is becoming a younger league, so why not let the kids play? Now, if a kid like Howden is physically immature, you don't want to get him hurt, but otherwise, sink or swim.
    If its 1 guy, that has the right experience, sure. Howden is coming from junior hockey.

    If you want a true rebuild, you have to put a player where he is going to be the most successful in which the team can benefit long-term.

    You put Chytil against Crosby, Ovechkin, Panarin, Stamkos, etc every night, all he learns is how to run around in his own zone. Let Hayes deal with that so Chytil and Andersson can get better matchups.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  9. #49
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division thes5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Posts
    588
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    If its 1 guy, that has the right experience, sure. Howden is coming from junior hockey.

    If you want a true rebuild, you have to put a player where he is going to be the most successful in which the team can benefit long-term.

    You put Chytil against Crosby, Ovechkin, Panarin, Stamkos, etc every night, all he learns is how to run around in his own zone. Let Hayes deal with that so Chytil and Andersson can get better matchups.
    I get it, but if the kid is physically capable, why not let him play. I don't think you match the kids up against the other teams top lines. I just think that kids nowadays are more ready to play at an early age. The off ice work they do is light years from even 10 years ago.

  10. #50
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,113
    Rep Power
    281
    just dont want to set anyone up for failure. during a long rebuild, you have the chance to be patient, unlike previous teams & their situations - where we were more likely to see 'sink or swim' to fill 1 hole, or get a vet to fill it.
    Let's set these guys up for long-term success, coddle them, baby steps, because we usually dont have the "luxury" of doing so.


    (and believe me, saying this makes me sick, because its not what I like, but the best option, IMO)
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  11. #51
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    76,068
    Rep Power
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's not how you develop kids. That's how you destroy them. See Del Zotto, Michael; Malhotra, Manny; Gagner, Sam.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    There's a mixed bag there. Gagner had unrealistic expectations put on him from a desperate franchise, DZ lacked the maturity, Malhotra was never going to live up to the hype of a #6 OA. Guessing same happens to Andersson.

  12. #52
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,020
    Rep Power
    70
    randomly spitballing because I'm bored at work. What about Jussi Jokinen

    played on 4 teams last year, not fitting into the first three at all. But in Vancouver, he had 10 points in 14 games post deadline and his 2.57 points per 60 at even strength was best on the Canucks after the trade deadline

    veteran leadership for a young team and is only two seasons removed from 60 points.
    __________________________________

  13. #53
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,816
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Mika was only better on the PP.
    Which is part of being “offensive”


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  14. #54
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,113
    Rep Power
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Which is part of being “offensive”


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    They put up almost identical numbers, one got more ice time and 3x as much PP time.

    At ES, one put up more points, with less ice time.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  15. #55
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,816
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    They put up almost identical numbers, one got more ice time and 3x as much PP time.

    At ES, one put up more points, with less ice time.
    One out up more points in less games.

    If your statement was “Hayes could be more offensive had he been given the same opportunity.....”.
    Then a discussion could be had.

    But this is a binary fact. Z was better offensively last season



    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  16. #56
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,113
    Rep Power
    281
    not at even strength.

    but sure, for maybe 2 minutes a game, Zibs was better.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  17. #57
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,816
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    not at even strength.

    but sure, for maybe 2 minutes a game, Zibs was better.
    Over the course of a season he was- fact

    Make all the reasons and excuses as to why he was more productive offensively....but a fact is a fact


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  18. #58
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    26,113
    Rep Power
    281
    NOT at even strength production

    fact is fact.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #59
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,816
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    NOT at even strength production

    fact is fact.
    Well, when there is a league with no special teams...let’s re address this.

    You’re attempt to justify your point is amazing


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  20. #60
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,816
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    NOT at even strength production

    fact is fact.
    Nieves had more even strength points on Tuesdays against teams that ended with the letter E, so he must be better than both


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •