• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Inside Chris Kreider's Journey Back to the Ice

Kevin

It began late last fall, when he started coughing up blood. It would happen randomly for New York Rangers winger Chris Kreider. For a few days, he'd be symptom-free. Then Kreider would wake up and spew blood, then break out in coughing fits throughout the day that he describes as "pretty gruesome."

The 27-year-old knew something wasn't right. When he was on the ice, he sometimes felt a shortness of breath -- like his cardio wasn't all there -- and sustained light-headedness, too. But it was the time of year where everyone would get sick, especially road-weary professional hockey players, so he didn't blame doctors for a misdiagnosis of pneumonia.

"Everyone knows the severity of blood clots and what that can lead to," Kreider says. "The minute they said 'blood clot,' I saw this season as a write off. Hockey became secondary very quickly. A lot of doctors were trying to explain to me when I could possibly come back, and dancing around it. I had to explain to them: 'I'm not totally worried about that at the moment. I just want to get healthy.'"

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/24257571/nhl-new-york-rangers-chris-kreider-recovery-blood-clots-journey-back-ice

Some background on Kreider's issues last season.

Paying close attention to his diet is huge. Of he can keep the bodyfat low and maintain muscle, he'll be strong and quicker (not faster, better first step).

I'm with ya. I think he showed, even with the reduced weight, that he was plenty strong enough to play the physical, power forward, type of game. That extra jump in his first step was different and effective. I'm expecting a big season from him this year...although I've always expected it from him.

I'd like to see him step his game up 1 more level and take more of a leadership role on this team. his time is now.

It seems almost guaranteed he'd get a letter this year. I really liked his approach after his return last year. I think he is what he is offensively but he could really round out his career and be a positive influence for the team moving forward.

I thought his skating in the WC was a pretty significant step up as far as speed. The games he played in the regular season were good but he seemed to be in playoff mode at the WC games. I too hope he puts together a career high season and gets a letter on his jersey.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The maturity and intelligence evident in his recovery and his special appreciation for being an NHL player now advance the case for making him captain.

I want to believe that Kreids finally 'gets it' - that playing in the NHL is an honor. Maybe this time he means it. We've heard it all before and he just hasn't lived up to his words. I love the skill and speed of this guy and always thought that his 'issue' was between his ears. I'm really looking forward to seeing, as someone stated above, that "his time is now." Yes, more than ever.

Get it right Chris and I can get behind you getting the C.

Archived