• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

ANA Re-Sign G John Gibson to 8-Year/$51.2M Extension; $6.4M AAV

Phil

Dollar-wise? Absolutely. It's a hair over 8% of the cap. He's like 25 and is easily one of the best goalies in the game. The issue, like with pretty much every goalie not named Lundqvist or Luongo is the years. Too few maintain that level of excellence beyond a four- to five-year window.

Dollar-wise? Absolutely. It's a hair over 8% of the cap. He's like 25 and is easily one of the best goalies in the game. The issue, like with pretty much every goalie not named Lundqvist or Luongo is the years. Too few maintain that level of excellence beyond a four- to five-year window.

I see your point. Gibson has the youth to keep the Ducks in the future of playoff contention. But he is not one of those big-name goaltenders. You're correct about how he is not that much of a cap hit on ANA. If he plays well within that four/five-year window, then I'll see why Gibson got this contract

I guess that's their goal, really. Win while he's still viable. By year six, seven, and eight, it might get ugly. Hard to say. Or he could buck the trend and go the way Luongo and Hank did. Who knows? The odds aren't in his favor, is all. Most goalies have that four- to five-year window when they're really really dominant.

Archived