Thread: ANA Re-Sign G John Gibson to 8-Year/$51.2M Extension; $6.4M AAV

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

ANA Re-Sign G John Gibson to 8-Year/$51.2M Extension; $6.4M AAV

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Is Gibson worth THAT much money?
    #WhatRebuild

Let's go Rangers! Let's go Giants! Make some noise this football and hockey season!

Dollar-wise? Absolutely. It's a hair over 8% of the cap. He's like 25 and is easily one of the best goalies in the game. The issue, like with pretty much every goalie not named Lundqvist or Luongo is the years. Too few maintain that level of excellence beyond a four- to five-year window.
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rangers02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Dollar-wise? Absolutely. It's a hair over 8% of the cap. He's like 25 and is easily one of the best goalies in the game. The issue, like with pretty much every goalie not named Lundqvist or Luongo is the years. Too few maintain that level of excellence beyond a four- to five-year window.
    I see your point. Gibson has the youth to keep the Ducks in the future of playoff contention. But he is not one of those big-name goaltenders. You're correct about how he is not that much of a cap hit on ANA. If he plays well within that four/five-year window, then I'll see why Gibson got this contract
    #WhatRebuild

Let's go Rangers! Let's go Giants! Make some noise this football and hockey season!

I guess that's their goal, really. Win while he's still viable. By year six, seven, and eight, it might get ugly. Hard to say. Or he could buck the trend and go the way Luongo and Hank did. Who knows? The odds aren't in his favor, is all. Most goalies have that four- to five-year window when they're really really dominant.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    That's not the contract of a dominant goalie. It's the contract of a starter who's "good enough".

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Seems like a fair deal for both parties.
    I like Gibson. He’s a very good goalie that seems to fly under the radar at times.