• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

OTT Re-Signs F Mark Stone to 1-Year/$7.35M Extension

Phil

Yeah. He was going to get this anyway. Now he can go right to UFA and get the hell out of Dodge.

I think Stone can not be signed to a new contract until Jan 1, which would also mean he likely would not get traded till at least Jan 1. Would the same hold true for Hayes?

Stone for Hayes

Imagine the maturity and synergy of a 1st line of

Kreider Zib Stone

Stone is real Captain material and he'd sign here. Enthusiastic PPG RW who does all the little things real well, plus offers top-notch D. Stone can rise to the occasion and take top-line matchup pressure off Buch. RW goes from a weakness to a strength as Buch, Zuc and Fast move down the lineup and create good depth and flexibility.

Of course it is not going to happen because Ottawa won't be able to resign Hayes. Even if they could, they would want to dump Ryan's contract to make room for Hayes. Or get one of our good dman prospects like Pionk or Lundkvist.

Besides, educated guess is neither team even looks to move (Hayes or Stone) till the New Year, when teams can sign the player.

I think Stone can not be signed to a new contract until Jan 1, which would also mean he likely would not get traded till at least Jan 1. Would the same hold true for Hayes?

Either can be traded at any point. They both avoided arbitration, so they're not held to that clause.

They can also agree to any extension at any time. They just can't sign it until January 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Imagine the maturity and synergy of a 1st line of

Kreider Zib Stone

Stone is real Captain material and he'd sign here. Enthusiastic PPG RW who does all the little things real well, plus offers top-notch D. Stone can rise to the occasion and take top-line matchup pressure off Buch. RW goes from a weakness to a strength as Buch, Zuc and Fast move down the lineup and create good depth and flexibility.

Of course it is not going to happen because Ottawa won't be able to resign Hayes. Even if they could, they would want to dump Ryan's contract to make room for Hayes. Or get one of our good dman prospects like Pionk or Lundkvist.

Besides, educated guess is neither team even looks to move (Hayes or Stone) till the New Year, when teams can sign the player.

Ummm I was kidding

Ummm I was kidding

Often there is humor where there is some truth. Hayes' 1 year contract means there is a good chance he is traded. The Rangers need a top-line RW who can score AND play D. Stone's 1 year means he's positioned to get out of Ottawa.

Reasonable possibility Hayes and Stone are traded as rentals and become UFAs. The Rangers may decide that rather than reup Hayes, spend the extra mil or two in FA and add a RW like Stone to the top line. Kind of a trade of Hayes for Stone.

Better, call it a trade off and balancing our asset allocation. The Rangers will ultimately have to deal no top-6 RW's (do we have any RW prospects?) in the pipeline, which is not the case at C.

Rangers aren’t in position to take on Stone

I was thinking next year. as a free agent.

I'm not big on free agency, but every once in a while there is a high quality player who could be a perfect fit. We didn't draft RW Oliver Wahlstrom, so who are the future top 6 right wingers? Buch, we hope. Then there is nothing. Zuc (also 1 year left and 30 y/o) is not the answer.

I don't think there is an answer. There isn't one apparent in the system.

I was thinking next year. as a free agent.

I'm not big on free agency, but every once in a while there is a high quality player who could be a perfect fit. We didn't draft RW Oliver Wahlstrom, so who are the future top 6 right wingers? Buch, we hope. Then there is nothing. Zuc (also 1 year left and 30 y/o) is not the answer.

I don't think there is an answer. There isn't one apparent in the system.

The guy we drafted with our 1st pick this year?

Both Elite Prospects and the Athletic have him as a RW.

Can play both sides I guess.

This would be really good. It would be a real advantage if he moved around and played all forward positions this year. As long as he gets lots of ice time, which is most important.

Archived