• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

Phil

ronically enough, no player stands to benefit more from a meaningful training camp for the Quinn-coached club than 29-year-old Brendan Smith.

Despite a disastrous first year that saw him relegated to the AHL just five months after signing a four-year, $17.4 million deal, Smith?s game is actually tailor-made to play the style of game Quinn is after. At least on paper. Though unspectacular as a point-producer, his ability to skate with the puck combined with his physical aggression could quickly endear him to the new bench boss who?s vision for the team appears to marry the seeming polarities.

Fast forward to today and likely in anticipation of a competitive camp, according to Rangers? radio broadcaster, Dave Maloney, Smith has lost significant weight already this summer. Talking to NHL Network earlier this month, Maloney said of Smith, ?he has lost 15 pounds this offseason working out with the Ben Prentiss group in Connecticut.?

With very little change made to an underwhelming defense, any victories earned on the blue line will surely be incremental. The team is beginning it?s first full season under the banner of a rebuild/retool/reload, so a resurrected Smith would surely qualify as a small but measurable win, if not a dash more given the remaining term left on his deal. And this says nothing of the potential value that a revitalized pairing with Skjei could offer the club who, now McDonagh-less, could use all the help they can get.

Though it?s fair to suggest that the majority of the excitement in training camp will hinge on the early progress of numerous young Rangers prospects, it?s certainly plausible that Smith earning back the job he lost could be among the best stories of the year. Everyone loves a good redemption story, and his vocal presence could prove useful in bringing along the Blueshirts? fledglings. His demotion last season could even serve as a cautionary lesson for other players not to mistake their AAV for security.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/8/1/17633664/brendan-smiths-road-to-redemption-with-new-york-rangers-begins-now

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he can get his play back to where it was when they traded for him, that would be great. I thought he and Skjei played very well together when he first came to the team. Hopefully he can return to the player we thought he would be.

It probably won't, as that was his peak.

As Phil mentioned, he's a prototypical fit for this system, and with his leadership and physical play, he could be a very important piece of the Rangers next season. Come to camp in shape, with a good attitude, ready to work, and only good things can happen.

He's lost 15 pounds and, according to Dave Maloney, is "in tremendous shape."

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

yep understood, but it happened last year and that's inexcusable, sign a shiny new big deal and let yourself go. Not a guy I want. Are they stuck with him for now yes. Do I hope they move him the first chance they get YES.

I'm rooting for Smith. He was the one guy on the team that played with any kind of fire two seasons ago. Even last year, he was the only player standing up for anyone and apparently that didn't go over well with AV.

I've heard he was a leader in the locker room when he was first brought in and I hope he can go back to that. Like everyone else, he'll get a chance to prove himself and I hope he does.

The question is, why was he out of shape?was he hurt and therefore staying away for training in order to nurse the injury or save himself for actual games. With a big contract comes the expectation of earning it. We all found out Shatty was playing hurt because he wanted to justify his contract. And we all know how that went. Maybe now that he?s healthy we Will see the real Smith.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The question is, why was he out of shape—was he hurt and therefore staying away for training in order to nurse the injury or save himself for actual games. With a big contract comes the expectation of earning it. We all found out Shatty was playing hurt because he wanted to justify his contract. And we all know how that went. Maybe now that he’s healthy we Will see the real Smith.

He got married, bought a house, and did a bunch of other social stuff, like traveling for weddings.

To his credit, he readily admitted that he wasn't in shape, and to my knowledge, he never really complained about being sent down and seems to get it. That should bode well for a good turnaround.

The question is, why was he out of shape—was he hurt and therefore staying away for training in order to nurse the injury or save himself for actual games. With a big contract comes the expectation of earning it. We all found out Shatty was playing hurt because he wanted to justify his contract. And we all know how that went. Maybe now that he’s healthy we Will see the real Smith.

He has a known history of participating in too many off-ice extra curricular activities as well as a label of not taking the game seriously.

He has a known history of participating in too many off-ice extra curricular activities as well as a label of not taking the game seriously.

Other than incidents for drinking in college (which, who gives a fuck), this is not known and is completely speculative.

I mean, you said it yourself that it was speculative....

A few of us have been speculating since early in the season.

I wouldnt be surprised if he got a 2-month stay at an all inclusive resort, paid for by the NHLPA...

- he has a history of drinking-related issues

- “speculating” that it’s a contributing factor

Who doesn't!!! LOL

I used to have a drinking problem....but now I have enough money!!! :rofl:

I can't wait to see this kid prove everyone who didn't believe, wrong. ....can't.....wait.

I also like "Captain Brendan Smith".....we can use a player as a captain that isn't a pussy!

Who doesn't!!! LOL

I used to have a drinking problem....but now I have enough money!!! :rofl:

I can't wait to see this kid prove everyone who didn't believe, wrong. ....can't.....wait.

I also like "Captain Brendan Smith".....we can use a player as a captain that isn't a pussy!

hey, I've been one of the more optimistic posters, even towards the end of last season.

Doesn't change the past season.

Archived