Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend

Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

ronically enough, no player stands to benefit more from a meaningful training camp for the Quinn-coached club than 29-year-old Brendan Smith.

Despite a disastrous first year that saw him relegated to the AHL just five months after signing a four-year, $17.4 million deal, Smith’s game is actually tailor-made to play the style of game Quinn is after. At least on paper. Though unspectacular as a point-producer, his ability to skate with the puck combined with his physical aggression could quickly endear him to the new bench boss who’s vision for the team appears to marry the seeming polarities.
    Fast forward to today and likely in anticipation of a competitive camp, according to Rangers’ radio broadcaster, Dave Maloney, Smith has lost significant weight already this summer. Talking to NHL Network earlier this month, Maloney said of Smith, “he has lost 15 pounds this offseason working out with the Ben Prentiss group in Connecticut.”
    With very little change made to an underwhelming defense, any victories earned on the blue line will surely be incremental. The team is beginning it’s first full season under the banner of a rebuild/retool/reload, so a resurrected Smith would surely qualify as a small but measurable win, if not a dash more given the remaining term left on his deal. And this says nothing of the potential value that a revitalized pairing with Skjei could offer the club who, now McDonagh-less, could use all the help they can get.

Though it’s fair to suggest that the majority of the excitement in training camp will hinge on the early progress of numerous young Rangers prospects, it’s certainly plausible that Smith earning back the job he lost could be among the best stories of the year. Everyone loves a good redemption story, and his vocal presence could prove useful in bringing along the Blueshirts’ fledglings. His demotion last season could even serve as a cautionary lesson for other players not to mistake their AAV for security.
    https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018...ers-begins-now

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    If he can get his play back to where it was when they traded for him, that would be great. I thought he and Skjei played very well together when he first came to the team. Hopefully he can return to the player we thought he would be.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    It began when he punched that little punk in the face.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    If he can get his play back to where it was when they traded for him, that would be great. I thought he and Skjei played very well together when he first came to the team. Hopefully he can return to the player we thought he would be.
    It probably won't, as that was his peak.

As Phil mentioned, he's a prototypical fit for this system, and with his leadership and physical play, he could be a very important piece of the Rangers next season. Come to camp in shape, with a good attitude, ready to work, and only good things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    It began when he punched that little punk in the face.
    Who, Lettieri?

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    I get we're desperate for D but I have no use for a professional athlete that can't even get themselves in shape heading into a season. Sooner he's launched out of here the better in my book.

He's lost 15 pounds and, according to Dave Maloney, is "in tremendous shape."

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    He's lost 15 pounds and, according to Dave Maloney, is "in tremendous shape."

yep understood, but it happened last year and that's inexcusable, sign a shiny new big deal and let yourself go. Not a guy I want. Are they stuck with him for now yes. Do I hope they move him the first chance they get YES.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I'm rooting for Smith. He was the one guy on the team that played with any kind of fire two seasons ago. Even last year, he was the only player standing up for anyone and apparently that didn't go over well with AV.

I've heard he was a leader in the locker room when he was first brought in and I hope he can go back to that. Like everyone else, he'll get a chance to prove himself and I hope he does.
    GORTON 2020

I want whatever is best. If that's a resurgent player or a trade, so be it.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    I wasn’t impressed when we got him and I hated him last season but I will
    Be rooting for him as this team needs all the help it can get on defense

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar

Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

The question is, why was he out of shape—was he hurt and therefore staying away for training in order to nurse the injury or save himself for actual games. With a big contract comes the expectation of earning it. We all found out Shatty was playing hurt because he wanted to justify his contract. And we all know how that went. Maybe now that he’s healthy we Will see the real Smith.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I respect your opinions. Just strongly feel differently. Time will tell.

Senior Member Midget Division
    good to hear he is training hard.

sometimes guys need a kick in the ass. human nature for some.

hopefully he comes in competes hard and leads.
    Acqua in bocca

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post
    The question is, why was he out of shape—was he hurt and therefore staying away for training in order to nurse the injury or save himself for actual games. With a big contract comes the expectation of earning it. We all found out Shatty was playing hurt because he wanted to justify his contract. And we all know how that went. Maybe now that he’s healthy we Will see the real Smith.

He got married, bought a house, and did a bunch of other social stuff, like traveling for weddings.

To his credit, he readily admitted that he wasn't in shape, and to my knowledge, he never really complained about being sent down and seems to get it. That should bode well for a good turnaround.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wiskers View Post

He has a known history of participating in too many off-ice extra curricular activities as well as a label of not taking the game seriously.

Senior Member Squirt Division Mr.wiskers's Avatar
    I haven’t seen anything about him not taking the game seriously, where did you see that? I’ve also seen where people have talked about Hayes being a partier but unlike both Kane’s, who’s personal lives have been in the news I haven’t found anything on him either.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rmc51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I want whatever is best. If that's a resurgent player or a trade, so be it.

Can it be both please? Even if he is resurgent, he doesnt seem like a guy you trust into his 30s. Sell high if you can.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Captain Brendan Smith.

Moderator Junior Division
    He has a known history of participating in too many off-ice extra curricular activities as well as a label of not taking the game seriously.
    Other than incidents for drinking in college (which, who gives a fuck), this is not known and is completely speculative.

I mean, you said it yourself that it was speculative....

A few of us have been speculating since early in the season.

I wouldnt be surprised if he got a 2-month stay at an all inclusive resort, paid for by the NHLPA...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast