Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Also, Torts sent Kreider and Miller down - for lack of consistency and physical play.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Dude you CANT play that way in the nhl. Skating into goalies, boarding, hits from behind... that’s not aggression, that’s stupidity! And it gets you a reputation that’s bad for your team.
    Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

You can keep Jesper Fast and all the nice guys who don't play with any edge.

Also, Torts sent Kreider and Miller down - for lack of consistency and physical play.
    From what I remember, he sent them down for lack of "hockey sense" in that he didn't really like their efforts on D/ back checking.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

Sure, but I won’t blame AV because Jesper Fast isn’t, and doesnt play like, Simmonds.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I don't think it's accurate to say Simmonds has built his career on "skating into goalies, boarding and hits from behind", although he definitely plays with an edge.

I also think it's de rigeur to turn our noses up at words like "grit", "physical play", "playing tough" etc and talk as if it belongs to the past. If anything, the last playoffs showed that playing with a physical edge and getting in the oppositions faces is still very much an important part of the game.
    Note that this does not = fighting.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 08-07-2018 at 07:25 AM.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    12 Wayne Simmonds = 0 Stanley Cups.

People really need to get their own rage in check. If you want to see senseless violence, MMA is there for ya.

I don't think it's about rage hits, and it's not even about the regular season here. The point is when we are a playoff team again....in a few years, I would like to see the team have an aggressive edge, and a "take no shit" attitude toward teams that wanna play "that" way. I'm not saying to always be the aggressor, but in the playoffs, you rarely if ever see a team win with a bunch of figure skaters out there.

Again, I know the game has changed a bit in the way it's now "presented", but in the playoffs I think it's best to have a tougher team in order to withstand a 7 gamer with an arch rival. Those hits don't tickle after 3 or 4 games anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    12 Wayne Simmonds = 0 Stanley Cups.

People really need to get their own rage in check. If you want to see senseless violence, MMA is there for ya.
    How is what I said in any way related to "senseless violence" ffs.
    I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?

can't we have both types of players? Jesper Fast is awesome. Wayne Simmonds is awesome. Why we heff to be mad?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?
    I didn't quote you, dude.

Senior Member Mite Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    I don't think it's accurate to say Simmonds has built his career on "skating into goalies, boarding and hits from behind", although he definitely plays with an edge.

I also think it's de rigeur to turn our noses up at words like "grit", "physical play", "playing tough" etc and talk as if it belongs to the past. If anything, the last playoffs showed that playing with a physical edge and getting in the oppositions faces is still very much an important part of the game.
    Note that this does not = fighting.
    100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    agreed. Ovi was a man on a mission in game 6
    Acqua in bocca

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post

He got a raise, in Long Island
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Sure, but I won’t blame AV because Jesper Fast isn’t, and doesnt play like, Simmonds.
    AV would turn Simmons into Fast is the point. Not the opposite.

IMO playing with that edge, COMES with those penalties you call stupidity. It's going to happen.

What years did the Flyers HAVE 12 Simmons? I must have missed those years the Simmons clones couldn't win a cup.

IMO playing with that edge, COMES with those penalties you call stupidity. It's going to happen.
    Miller, Kreider, and Smith arent anywhere near effective enough in their physical/aggressive role (or any role) to warrant the dumb penalties they took.

I can recall maybe 1 call against any of these guys that was borderline. Most were incredibly stupid, avoidable, and detrimental.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar

Miller, Kreider, and Smith arent anywhere near effective enough in their physical/aggressive role (or any role) to warrant the dumb penalties they took.

I can recall maybe 1 call against any of these guys that was borderline. Most were incredibly stupid, avoidable, and detrimental.
    Biggest thing I learned this offseason is that AV caused cancer and world hunger. In his spare time he took his teams to the playoffs 11 out of 15 years. Granted he's no Toe Blake. Toe Blake doesn't get water from the rock that was last season.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    What years did the Flyers HAVE 12 Simmons? I must have missed those years the Simmons clones couldn't win a cup.
    I must have missed the year one Simmonds won a Stanley Cup...

the capital is just won a cup with one Wilson, but you want 12 Simmonds? Seems smart.

I’ll take 12 guys who averaged 30 goals the past five seasons. That doesn’t seem bad to me no matter how they play.

I think we got a little off the track in this thread;

Anyway, I'd absolutely love to see Brendan Smith return to the form I knew him best for, earlier in his career. Just sayin'

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast