Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 161

Thread: Brendan Smith's Road to Redemption Begins Now

  1. #61
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,724
    Rep Power
    257
    Also, Torts sent Kreider and Miller down - for lack of consistency and physical play.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  2. #62
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,113
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Dude you CANT play that way in the nhl. Skating into goalies, boarding, hits from behind... that’s not aggression, that’s stupidity! And it gets you a reputation that’s bad for your team.
    Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

    You can keep Jesper Fast and all the nice guys who don't play with any edge.

  3. #63
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,113
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Also, Torts sent Kreider and Miller down - for lack of consistency and physical play.
    From what I remember, he sent them down for lack of "hockey sense" in that he didn't really like their efforts on D/ back checking.

  4. #64
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,724
    Rep Power
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

    You can keep Jesper Fast and all the nice guys who don't play with any edge.
    Sure, but I won’t blame AV because Jesper Fast isn’t, and doesnt play like, Simmonds.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  5. #65
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    557
    Rep Power
    25
    I don't think it's accurate to say Simmonds has built his career on "skating into goalies, boarding and hits from behind", although he definitely plays with an edge.

    I also think it's de rigeur to turn our noses up at words like "grit", "physical play", "playing tough" etc and talk as if it belongs to the past. If anything, the last playoffs showed that playing with a physical edge and getting in the oppositions faces is still very much an important part of the game.
    Note that this does not = fighting.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 08-07-2018 at 07:25 AM.

  6. #66
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,208
    Rep Power
    486
    12 Wayne Simmonds = 0 Stanley Cups.

    People really need to get their own rage in check. If you want to see senseless violence, MMA is there for ya.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    22
    I don't think it's about rage hits, and it's not even about the regular season here. The point is when we are a playoff team again....in a few years, I would like to see the team have an aggressive edge, and a "take no shit" attitude toward teams that wanna play "that" way. I'm not saying to always be the aggressor, but in the playoffs, you rarely if ever see a team win with a bunch of figure skaters out there.

    Again, I know the game has changed a bit in the way it's now "presented", but in the playoffs I think it's best to have a tougher team in order to withstand a 7 gamer with an arch rival. Those hits don't tickle after 3 or 4 games anymore.

  8. #68
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    557
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    12 Wayne Simmonds = 0 Stanley Cups.

    People really need to get their own rage in check. If you want to see senseless violence, MMA is there for ya.
    How is what I said in any way related to "senseless violence" ffs.
    I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?

  9. #69
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,015
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Odd how so many still have a career for playing that way. I'll take 12 Wade Simmons please.

    You can keep Jesper Fast and all the nice guys who don't play with any edge.
    can't we have both types of players? Jesper Fast is awesome. Wayne Simmonds is awesome. Why we heff to be mad?
    __________________________________

  10. #70
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,208
    Rep Power
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    How is what I said in any way related to "senseless violence" ffs.
    I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?
    I didn't quote you, dude.

  11. #71
    Senior Member Mite Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    177
    Rep Power
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    I don't think it's accurate to say Simmonds has built his career on "skating into goalies, boarding and hits from behind", although he definitely plays with an edge.

    I also think it's de rigeur to turn our noses up at words like "grit", "physical play", "playing tough" etc and talk as if it belongs to the past. If anything, the last playoffs showed that playing with a physical edge and getting in the oppositions faces is still very much an important part of the game.
    Note that this does not = fighting.
    100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  12. #72
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,108
    Rep Power
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    agreed. Ovi was a man on a mission in game 6
    Acqua in bocca

  13. #73
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,486
    Rep Power
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    100%. Caps physical play was a huge factor in shutting down Tampa in games 6-7. The Lightning played scared, and they couldn't get any offensive momentum. Whoever told the Caps to come out banging hard to set the tone deserves a raise.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    He got a raise, in Long Island
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  14. #74
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,113
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Sure, but I won’t blame AV because Jesper Fast isn’t, and doesnt play like, Simmonds.
    AV would turn Simmons into Fast is the point. Not the opposite.

    IMO playing with that edge, COMES with those penalties you call stupidity. It's going to happen.

  15. #75
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,113
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    How is what I said in any way related to "senseless violence" ffs.
    I'm also struggling with the relevance of how many cups Simmonds have won. Did his team fail to win the cup each year because of the way he plays?
    What years did the Flyers HAVE 12 Simmons? I must have missed those years the Simmons clones couldn't win a cup.

  16. #76
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,724
    Rep Power
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    AV would turn Simmons into Fast is the point. Not the opposite.

    IMO playing with that edge, COMES with those penalties you call stupidity. It's going to happen.
    Miller, Kreider, and Smith arent anywhere near effective enough in their physical/aggressive role (or any role) to warrant the dumb penalties they took.

    I can recall maybe 1 call against any of these guys that was borderline. Most were incredibly stupid, avoidable, and detrimental.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  17. #77
    Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    382
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    AV would turn Simmons into Fast is the point. Not the opposite.

    IMO playing with that edge, COMES with those penalties you call stupidity. It's going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Miller, Kreider, and Smith arent anywhere near effective enough in their physical/aggressive role (or any role) to warrant the dumb penalties they took.

    I can recall maybe 1 call against any of these guys that was borderline. Most were incredibly stupid, avoidable, and detrimental.
    Biggest thing I learned this offseason is that AV caused cancer and world hunger. In his spare time he took his teams to the playoffs 11 out of 15 years. Granted he's no Toe Blake. Toe Blake doesn't get water from the rock that was last season.

  18. #78
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,208
    Rep Power
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    What years did the Flyers HAVE 12 Simmons? I must have missed those years the Simmons clones couldn't win a cup.
    I must have missed the year one Simmonds won a Stanley Cup...

    the capital is just won a cup with one Wilson, but you want 12 Simmonds? Seems smart.

  19. #79
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    892
    Rep Power
    24
    I’ll take 12 guys who averaged 30 goals the past five seasons. That doesn’t seem bad to me no matter how they play.

  20. #80
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    22
    I think we got a little off the track in this thread;

    Anyway, I'd absolutely love to see Brendan Smith return to the form I knew him best for, earlier in his career. Just sayin'

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •