• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Ryan Spooner to 2-Year/$8M Extension; $4M AAV

Phil

This is a good contract for both sides. If he can keep up his play from last season here, he will be a good fit. I like that he can play center or wing and would be good with either Chytil or Anderson.

The 0.80 P/GP, 102.2 PDO-driven run? Not happening. Far more likely be comes back to earth over 82 games to give the Rangers the career 0.56 P/GP player they acquired from Boston.

In other words, he's way closer to a 42-point player than he is a 66-point one.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The 0.80 P/GP, 102.2 PDO-driven run? Not happening. Far more likely be comes back to earth over 82 games to give the Rangers the career 0.56 P/GP player they acquired from Boston.

And thus appropriately compensated!

I know he won't score like he did here again, but his all around play was good. I liked him here and hope he can be a good fit for a while here. He was far more impressive than Namestnikov.

Way better data overall. Spooner is a career minus-2.0 relative corsi, minus-3.0 relative Fenwick, and has benefitted from a 60.4% offensive zone start percentage. He also averaged a 102.9 PDO the last three years.

In short, he can score, but he's pretty bad at keeping the opposition in check. Quite the opposite on Hayes, who dined out in a checking role without the PP time or heavy offensive zone starts to boost his scoring.

Way better data overall. Spooner is a career minus-2.0 relative corsi, minus-3.0 relative Fenwick, and has benefitted from a 60.4% offensive zone start percentage. He also averaged a 102.9 PDO the last three years.

In short, he can score, but he's pretty bad at keeping the opposition in check. Quite the opposite on Hayes, who dined out in a checking role without the PP time or heavy offensive zone starts to boost his scoring.

Does this not go against everything that’s been happening in the NHL for the last 10 years? Scorers get paid. Defensive players do not.

Not really, no. The goal is still to outscore the other team. He's basically Brandon Pirri but a dash better. You'll get the offense, maybe, but it's coming with a lot of caveats -- the two notables being the need to be played with heavy offensive zone starts and the fact he's going to generally fare poorly on the shot differential charts (in any category). With great goaltending, sometimes this won't result in a loss, but teams that are as often outshot as Spooner is when on the ice tend to lose more than they win if there are too many others like him around.

And again, Kevin Hayes scored 25 last season. With an insane tilt toward his own end. Spooner had 13 total split between Boston and New York with the opposite usage. He's fine as a stop gap player, but I'd stop short of calling him offensive. He's a middling player in almost every aspect of the game.

Not trying to troll here but why is spooner paid so much less than Hayes? Same age. Higher ppg. Plays center and wing.

Why is Hayes worth 1.25 more?

Hayes scored 25 goals last year. Spooner has scored 23 in the last 2.

Not to mention all the other things that Hayes brings to the table.

Archived