• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Advice Please - First Trip to The Garden

Scottish_Ranger

Hello from across the pond.

Wife and I will be in NYC for the first time and she's only gone and got us tickets against the Avalanche in October :drool:

Was hoping for some advice on what to do on match day ... when to arrive at MSG, pubs to visit before or after, where to eat, any major do's or don'ts ????

Thank you in advance for your advice. Also want to thank the Admin that helped me with my login details via the Facebook page, cheers mate.

Yours

S_R

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Remember one thing. Most everyone is in a rush and are assholes at ALL TIMES. It's a fast moving city.

Plenty of bars and restaurants around the area. Places I've been to in recent memory that I somewhat enjoyed are, The Pig and Whistle, Mustang Harry's, and Stout. Drinks are typically expensive everywhere in NYC.

Im a fan of going to watch warm ups, so, try to get in and to your seats early, to get a feel for where they are, then walk on down to the lower bowl area and see how close you can get, so you can maybe get a puck, or just take it all in. The sounds of the skates along with the puck and stick noises on top of size and speed of the athletes really sets the tone for what you will see in the game.

Keep in mind the fans can be mean and inconsiderate. Don't get up, unless it's a stoppage. Beers and drinks in MSG are quite expensive. They do have a decent selection though.

Have fun.

Remember one thing. Most everyone is in a rush and are assholes at ALL TIMES. It's a fast moving city.

Plenty of bars and restaurants around the area. Places I've been to in recent memory that I somewhat enjoyed are, The Pig and Whistle, Mustang Harry's, and Stout. Drinks are typically expensive everywhere in NYC.

Im a fan of going to watch warm ups, so, try to get in and to your seats early, to get a feel for where they are, then walk on down to the lower bowl area and see how close you can get, so you can maybe get a puck, or just take it all in. The sounds of the skates along with the puck and stick noises on top of size and speed of the athletes really sets the tone for what you will see in the game.

Keep in mind the fans can be mean and inconsiderate. Don't get up, unless it's a stoppage. Beers and drinks in MSG are quite expensive. They do have a decent selection though.

Have fun.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Which day of the week is it? What time is the game? (I know, I could look up, but I’m lazy)

Don’t worry about the NYC crowd, just don’t try to look like a tourist (standing 4 wise with a map, standing at an intersection)

We try to get in a game or 5 a season, so others could probably tell a bit more.

We always go to 1 of a few pub-like restaurants before the game, hit up Cosby’s, get to game early (earlier if on the weekend), then hit up McSorleys after.

We always look for viewing parties or Rangers events within a day or two of the game we attend, gives another option to watch a game in a new city.

Try to eat/drink before the game. MSG is expensive!

Compared to other rinks, MSG isn’t a great place for player interaction, or getting a puck in warm ups. Fighting the crowds for warm ups is a toss up (Monday or Tuesday we go down). Might get a few players leaving the back entrance after the game.

I’m sure others will give you great advice. Enjoy. Bring money.

Which day of the week is it? What time is the game? (I know, I could look up, but I’m lazy)

Don’t worry about the NYC crowd, just don’t try to look like a tourist (standing 4 wise with a map, standing at an intersection)

We try to get in a game or 5 a season, so others could probably tell a bit more.

We always go to 1 of a few pub-like restaurants before the game, hit up Cosby’s, get to game early (earlier if on the weekend), then hit up McSorleys after.

We always look for viewing parties or Rangers events within a day or two of the game we attend, gives another option to watch a game in a new city.

Try to eat/drink before the game. MSG is expensive!

Compared to other rinks, MSG isn’t a great place for player interaction, or getting a puck in warm ups. Fighting the crowds for warm ups is a toss up (Monday or Tuesday we go down). Might get a few players leaving the back entrance after the game.

I’m sure others will give you great advice. Enjoy. Bring money.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Game is Tuesday 16th with a 7pm face off. Can't wait, been a dream of mine to go see the Rangers, wife got tickets as a birthday present.

Yeah, with a Tuesday game, you might not have the Rangers “atmosphere” while moving around the city - unlike most cities, NY is much too big and pay little to no attention to the Rangers. It can be a bit of a let down.

When are you traveling?

You should see if there is a Saturday/Sunday game you can catch at a local bar. (You’d have to have the pros on here tell you the hots spots for Rangers fans)

Plenty of options around the arena for food/drink, I wouldnt waste any $$$ inside the garden when their are better options outside. Flying Puck, Stout, Hooters (if you want that sports like atmosphere), Local, Mustang Harry's. If you get inside MSG early you can walk around the concourses, they have a bunch of memorabilia from memorable moments that happened inside the Garden.

As The Dude said, DO NOT GET UP UNTIL THEIR IS A STOPPAGE IN PLAY! I sit mid-row and it pisses me off to high heaven when people are standing b/c they don't know where there seat is, or totally oblivious to the fans around them that they're standing.

Since the game is Oct. 16, the crowd will most likely be more subdued b/c its the 2nd week of the season and the Yankees will be in the playoffs.

Where are you staying in the city? Could help set you up with a nice route/a few bars to hit on the way to the game. The MSG has it's share of pubs around but most of them within a 2 block radius don't offer their happy hour specials when there's a game that night

I'm a big fan of drinking a few 24oz beers in paper bags in Penn Station before going up but that's not particularly exciting for tourists I imagine lol

Where are you staying in the city? Could help set you up with a nice route/a few bars to hit on the way to the game. The MSG has it's share of pubs around but most of them within a 2 block radius don't offer their happy hour specials when there's a game that night

I'm a big fan of drinking a few 24oz beers in paper bags in Penn Station before going up but that's not particularly exciting for tourists I imagine lol

Rose's Pizza how great is their selection and can't beat the prices.

Hello from across the pond.

Wife and I will be in NYC for the first time and she's only gone and got us tickets against the Avalanche in October :drool:

Was hoping for some advice on what to do on match day ... when to arrive at MSG, pubs to visit before or after, where to eat, any major do's or don'ts ????

Thank you in advance for your advice. Also want to thank the Admin that helped me with my login details via the Facebook page, cheers mate.

Yours

S_R

Definitely go see the warm ups and you can always stroll around the Garden before the game. Also, by going in for the warms you'll beat the mad dash around 6:30 of all those trying to head and get through security. As mentioned plenty of places to eat and drink before the game I usually go to a place called Jack Doyles which is on 35th between 7th and 8th ave and the Garden is between 32nd and 33rd and 7th and 8th avenues. It also helps knowing when are you getting to NYC and for how long and the weather in October is really nice.

If it's your first time and you're going a long way, I'd try to find days where they're back-to-back at home or something. I.e. Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

That way you can get blackout and rowdy at the Friday night game and go again on Sunday to fill in the blanks.

Edit: Didn't realize it was on a Tuesday. Don't get wasted, you'll want to remember it lol.

….. just don’t try to look like a tourist ….

DON'T look up at the TALL BUILDINGS!!! If you do put one hand on your wallet.

Eat pizza anywhere it says pizza. It will be the best you ever had. Have a pretzel, knish and "dirty water "hot dog from a cart!!!

Have fun!!!!

Hey, we're staying near Knickerboker station (spelling???). We'll no doubt be out and about during the day. Would be nice to visit a bar or too with like minded fans

If it's your first time and you're going a long way, I'd try to find days where they're back-to-back at home or something. I.e. Friday night and Sunday afternoon.

That way you can get blackout and rowdy at the Friday night game and go again on Sunday to fill in the blanks.

Edit: Didn't realize it was on a Tuesday. Don't get wasted, you'll want to remember it lol.

Yeah, it'll be the first time in NYC. My job has set holidays so this is pretty much the only chance in the year for us to go.

Can't wait actually

Eat pizza anywhere it says pizza. It will be the best you ever had. Have a pretzel, knish and "dirty water "hot dog from a cart!!!

Have fun!!!!

No one with common sense took it that way, chief.

It was piggybacking on a previous post

Have fun!!!!

That is far from true. There are a lot of shitty pizza places in the city.

Archived