Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign F Kevin Hayes to 1-Year/$5.125M Extension

  1. #21
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    25,609
    Rep Power
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The same reason why he would sign for 5? More money? Because he wants to play here? Is confident in his ability to take a "show me" contract?

    Shit, why did he sign at all? If he is aimed at hitting UFA, why not cash in on arbitration, where he might have gotten more money?
    Can’t be traded for a year after arbitration
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  2. #22
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by AliveIn94 View Post
    Nice! Hope he sticks around.

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk
    If you hope he sticks around, this is not a nice deal.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Squirt Division Progrocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Rangers section of Connecticut
    Posts
    252
    Rep Power
    3
    He'll stink up the joint until this winter then see ya.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    799
    Rep Power
    40
    With this deal surely the idea must be to trade him asap?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    6
    I like this deal.

    When we close in on the trade deadline we will be a lot wiser regarding:

    - What do we have in Lias?
    - What do we have in Chytil?
    - How long is the rebuild going to last?

    If Hayes has a break-out year - he is going to be extremely valuable in a trade. If he has a poor year - we can perhaps sign him to 5x5 or something similar and have a great building block on a friendly deal.

    In contrast to Skjei, Hayes is a player that we simply don't know whether we need/want to gamble on. Thus it makes perfect sense to see how well he does in Quinn's system and have the flexibility going forward.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    799
    Rep Power
    40
    But, at least in theory, the market for Hayes is wider now than what it will be around the deadline.
    You'd assume it would be possible to trade him to a team that is currently not seen as a lock to make the playoffs thus potentially getting a better pick and a greater haul in terms of prospects.
    So for me, looking at trading him as soon as possible has some merit to it. Although obviously it would put a lot of pressure on Lias in particular.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Mite Division RJWantsTheCup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Holbrook, NY
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    5
    I don't mind this deal at all. Can start to negotiate next contract in season if he performs well and can always trade him if he doesn't meet expectations.
    Wish they would've tried the same approach with Skjei.

  8. #28
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,659
    Rep Power
    421
    I think a lot of you need to resign yourselves to the fact that Kevin Hayes is going to make near, if not better than, $6M per starting next summer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #29
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,544
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I think a lot of you need to resign yourselves to the fact that Kevin Hayes is going to make near, if not better than, $6M per starting next summer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I agree he will make that much, I just hope it’s not here. Now that he is signed, they should be looking to move him, his value is higher now than at the deadline. For me, he is too inconsistent to pay that much money.

  10. #30
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,720
    Rep Power
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    The same reason why he would sign for 5? More money? Because he wants to play here? Is confident in his ability to take a "show me" contract?

    Shit, why did he sign at all? If he is aimed at hitting UFA, why not cash in on arbitration, where he might have gotten more money?
    He signed because he's an RFA so he didn't really have much leverage. Arbitration might have gotten him another $200k or something, but not made a significant difference.

    Now, he will be a UFA a year earlier and get a huge raise next season. He holds all the leverage entering the offseason, and UFAs always get overpaid. Even at 2x$6m now, he'd probably be losing money long term. If he has a good year, he could get $6.5m on the open market.

  11. #31
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,696
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    He signed because he's an RFA so he didn't really have much leverage. Arbitration might have gotten him another $200k or something, but not made a significant difference.

    Now, he will be a UFA a year earlier and get a huge raise next season. He holds all the leverage entering the offseason, and UFAs always get overpaid. Even at 2x$6m now, he'd probably be losing money long term. If he has a good year, he could get $6.5m on the open market.
    Plus I think it would be better for him with a "sign-and-trade", so he can sign long term with a team wanting him right away. If he signed for two years now he will have to play a season and a half with a new team before signing a new contract, and you never know happens. Even if it sounds weird this one year deal is the "safest" and also the way he will earn most $.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    28
    I'm not sure I understand this deal from the Rangers point of view at all. From what I can gather from things I have read online in other RFA situations, since Kevin Hayes is the one who filed for arbitration then the Rangers could have elected a 1 year or 2 year deal in arbitration at whatever rate the arbitrator set. If this is accurate, I get why Hayes would want to sign a 1 year for less than he might get in arbitration. He ensures he is not signed to a 2 year deal in arbitration and gets to be a UFA next year. What I don't get is why the Rangers would not want Hayes on a 2 year deal, even if it's at a higher cap hit of 6-6.5 per. If he's as good or better than last year, he will be worth more trade wise by the deadline with an extra year locked up. If he's not, well, we have plenty of cap space over the next couple of seasons to absorb it without issue.

  13. #33
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,544
    Rep Power
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this deal from the Rangers point of view at all. From what I can gather from things I have read online in other RFA situations, since Kevin Hayes is the one who filed for arbitration then the Rangers could have elected a 1 year or 2 year deal in arbitration at whatever rate the arbitrator set. If this is accurate, I get why Hayes would want to sign a 1 year for less than he might get in arbitration. He ensures he is not signed to a 2 year deal in arbitration and gets to be a UFA next year. What I don't get is why the Rangers would not want Hayes on a 2 year deal, even if it's at a higher cap hit of 6-6.5 per. If he's as good or better than last year, he will be worth more trade wise by the deadline with an extra year locked up. If he's not, well, we have plenty of cap space over the next couple of seasons to absorb it without issue.
    We have a log jam at center right now, and the kids will hopefully be better and will be cheaper. If everything goes how we hope with Chytil and Anderson, they would have to move Zib or Hayes to give them the second and third line spots.

  14. #34
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,697
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I think a lot of you need to resign yourselves to the fact that Kevin Hayes is going to make near, if not better than, $6M per starting next summer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Which is why he won't be on this team. That's not what you pay 3rd or 4th line centers and the Rangers are hoping that's what he is a year or two from now.
    GORTON 2020

  15. #35
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    15
    Teams seem to be packing their rosters with young low paid players, and the resulting cap room is driving up the market rate for guys at 25 or 26 who are above average players. I would predict that if Hayes has a year similar to last year and actually goes UFA, he'll get 6m X 6. I know that sounds insane, but the salaries being paid now would have seemed insane three or four years ago as well.

  16. #36
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,659
    Rep Power
    421
    It's not insane at all relative to what he can do and inflation. Rising caps raise all salaries.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #37
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,697
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Teams seem to be packing their rosters with young low paid players, and the resulting cap room is driving up the market rate for guys at 25 or 26 who are above average players. I would predict that if Hayes has a year similar to last year and actually goes UFA, he'll get 6m X 6. I know that sounds insane, but the salaries being paid now would have seemed insane three or four years ago as well.
    I guess this is my problem. To me he's not above average. He's very very average and were it not for a strong finish, when the season was lost, he would be below average.

    I'd like to be proven wrong this season and hopefully the Rangers give him an opportunity to flourish, which I think they will. Hopefully they have a hard choice to make but if the option is to sign a 50 point player to a 6 million dollar deal, or not sign a 50 point player to a 6 million dollar deal, it's an easy decision.
    GORTON 2020

  18. #38
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,659
    Rep Power
    421

    Rangers Re-Sign F Kevin Hayes to 1-Year/$5.125M Extension

    "He's very very average"

    While scoring 25 goals and scoring 44 points in 76 games despite playing with a 57.3 defensive zone start percentage on a team with a minus-32 goal differential.

    The problem here is you've now twice used hyperbolic language to suggest Hayes is significantly worse than he might be/is. It makes conversation impossible because you're unwilling to deal in reality. We can't debate Hayes' potential value if you're going to dishonestly suggest he's a fourth-line center, or worth like $2M per season. Total failure to launch the moment you do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #39
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    404
    Rep Power
    15
    Hayes is clearly an above average player. You can debate just how much he is above average and whether other similarly priced players would be better for the team, but the notion that he is average or below is simply not viable.

  20. #40
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,697
    Rep Power
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    "He's very very average"

    While scoring 25 goals and scoring 44 points in 76 games despite playing with a 57.3 defensive zone start percentage on a team with a minus-32 goal differential.

    The problem here is you've now twice used hyperbolic language to suggest Hayes is significantly worse than he might be/is. It makes conversation impossible because you're unwilling to deal in reality. We can't debate Hayes' potential value if you're going to dishonestly suggest he's a fourth-line center, or worth like $2M per season. Total failure to launch the moment you do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I'm not suggesting he's a 4th line center or worth 2 million, I'm saying the Rangers are hoping to get more than 44 points from a 2nd line center which is why he's expendable. If the Rangers drafted properly, and we'll find out this year, one of Chytil or Andersson should be playing 2nd line minutes. And if they drafted well, one of Andersson or Chytil should eventually be getting 3rd line minutes.

    I mean the team was fucking horrible last year. Only one player made it over 50 points, which is a joke -- and part of the collective problem. You keep saying 25 goals and 44 points like that's a good thing. It's not. 44 points is good for 156th in the league. If that's not average, I don't know what is. Considering Hayes got 12 of those points in the final 15 games (7 of which were goals) means he was almost completely useless in terms of scoring for a large majority of the season.

    He has 4 full seasons under his belt and last year was his second worst in terms of point totals. I don't see a magical transformation coming this season. And that's fine. But to suggest everyone needs to be on board with paying a 44 point player who can kill penalties 5 and 6 million because of inflation is absurd. Just because it's a trend doesn't mean it needs to be followed.

    Rangers need to be focused on adding skilled players at every position. They don't have any dynamic talent on the team at all. Continually paying and plugging with mediocrity should not be the course of action even if trends say so. That's why I have a slight issue with the Skjei deal. What has he proven to earn 5 mill? I don't know. That's why I don't see a spot for Hayes beyond this season. Hopefully there are better options for cheaper.
    GORTON 2020

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •