• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign F Kevin Hayes to 1-Year/$5.125M Extension

Phil

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just weird to me. If you're not going to sign him long term, at least sign him for two years. Who the hell is going to trade for him if he's UFA after this season? Not going to get much for him. Doesn't make sense to me. Ah well. I guess I'm happy they aren't committing to a player I'm not too into. Later fatso

This is just weird to me. If you're not going to sign him long term, at least sign him for two years. Who the hell is going to trade for him if he's UFA after this season? Not going to get much for him. Doesn't make sense to me. Ah well. I guess I'm happy they aren't committing to a player I'm not too into. Later fatso

Why would Hayes sign for 2 years?

why give him 5.125 to begin with even for one season? Why not squeeze him if you doing a one year deal?

Because he's worth it. And because he filed for arbitration where he'd have gotten this anyway. The time for squeezing him is gone. They already did when they bridged him. It's put up or shut up time.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why would Hayes sign for 2 years?

The same reason why he would sign for 5? More money? Because he wants to play here? Is confident in his ability to take a "show me" contract?

Shit, why did he sign at all? If he is aimed at hitting UFA, why not cash in on arbitration, where he might have gotten more money?

The same reason why he would sign for 5? More money? Because he wants to play here? Is confident in his ability to take a "show me" contract?

Shit, why did he sign at all? If he is aimed at hitting UFA, why not cash in on arbitration, where he might have gotten more money?

Can’t be traded for a year after arbitration

I like this deal.

When we close in on the trade deadline we will be a lot wiser regarding:

- What do we have in Lias?

- What do we have in Chytil?

- How long is the rebuild going to last?

If Hayes has a break-out year - he is going to be extremely valuable in a trade. If he has a poor year - we can perhaps sign him to 5x5 or something similar and have a great building block on a friendly deal.

In contrast to Skjei, Hayes is a player that we simply don't know whether we need/want to gamble on. Thus it makes perfect sense to see how well he does in Quinn's system and have the flexibility going forward.

Archived