• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign D Brady Skjei to 6-Year/$31.5M Extension; $5.25M AAV

Phil

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely not a good deal if this happens.

With how the cap goes up, 5.25m will be fine for a signed ?young-ish? top 4D. In worst case he?s a trusted and solid bottom-pair guy, then I guess 5.25 is not good, but not very bad either.

I still think he will be a top pair player, so I love the deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

These contracts have always worked out well for the Rangers. :rolleyes:

It certainly does not seem like the right approach when rebuilding, where everything should be earned, and tthat creates a healthy competitive environment. Instead this feels like gambling, even if it is a somewhat educated gamble.

Like his potential. If he lives up to that potential, it is a good deal. Not sold on this approach for a rebuilding team, but I like him as a player so it's fine

How is this a bad approach? GM locks up our best (young vet) defender for his entire prime. Done at 30. There are no other Dmen to lock up. This is the way you build a team. Draft well, draft often, develop and lockup your best young vets.

I wonder if they go for this same deal for Kevin Hayes. Would probably cost a little more, given he would be selling more UFA years.

If they go 6 years, it could be identical. Hence, a 5 x 5 deal for Hayes, also makes sense. Pretty solid sources in June said his ask was 5.5 mil. No idea about term, but they can't be far apart at this point.

This should be a good, fair deal for both sides. I'm hoping that this past season was his basement. He should only be trending upward from here...hopefully.

Time to get a 76 jersey.

Definitely. He'll bounce back, just like Zucker did.

Wouldn?t Staal be another example. Stepan. Etc.

Stepan was bridged, that?s why he ended up costing so much.

Staal and McD are the only two that come to mind andnoth contract were excellent.

Staal singed at same age through age 28 at 3.9 per season.

Mcdonagh signed at same age through age 30/31 at 4.7 per season.

We received premium years at a discount. It was the NEXT contract for Staal that was bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Archived