Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign D Brady Skjei to 6-Year/$31.5M Extension; $5.25M AAV

HNIC BSBH Legend
    This contract, and Hayes' deal, really show me that Gorton thinks coaching was a massive problem last season.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    It was
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This contract, and Hayes' deal, really show me that Gorton thinks coaching was a massive problem last season.
    or its not a complete 10-year "rebuild" like Rangers bloggers declared.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    hey Pete I agree when it comes to the Skjel deal because they made a long term commitment but why would a one year Hayes deal indicate AV failed. They did the polar opposite with Hayes? Just curious not looking to be an ass.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    hey Pete I agree when it comes to the Skjel deal because they made a long term commitment but why would a one year Hayes deal indicate AV failed. They did the polar opposite with Hayes? Just curious not looking to be an ass.
    Hayes had no leverage and they paid him as a 50 point player for a year, coming out of a "bad year" where he scored 44 points. Maybe the 25 goals put him over the $5 mil mark, but the lack of a long term commitment IMO means that they aren't really paying attention to numbers and are more going with "their gut" on what they think they have in these players. In other words regardless of what happened last year, they clearly feel SKjei is worth investing in and Hayes isn't.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Don't get me started!!! LOL

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    i don’t know how you can worry about the d partner. Skjei supposed to be a rock in his own end yet has only been successful with a more defensive partner. That’s a glaring issue.

At best, he’s still going to be a complimentary partner. He’s a Stralman, Girardi, Smith.
    I don't know that yet, but so far, that has been the case except for a bunch of glimpses of top tier talent.. I'm thinking of all the years McD was saddled with Girardi, and like many, I always wondered how much better McD could have been, if he had someone a little better out there with him. Not shitting on Girardi, but I never felt he should have gotten the minutes he did.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I don't know that yet, but so far, that has been the case except for a bunch of glimpses of top tier talent.. I'm thinking of all the years McD was saddled with Girardi, and like many, I always wondered how much better McD could have been, if he had someone a little better out there with him. Not shitting on Girardi, but I never felt he should have gotten the minutes he did.
    Being partnered doesn't explain why McD stopped using his legs to make plays or his lack of offensive instincts.

In 13-14, McD was a Norris-type defenseman because he was the best athlete on the ice - he could score 15 goals just by being a better skater. After that playoff run, he stopped skating and has never had the instincts to be a gamebreaker. None of that has to do with his partner, regardless of whether or not he should have been paired with G.

Also, off the rails here a little bit, but I still think AV's greatest fuck-up with the defense was refusing to move Mac to the right.

Staal - Mac
    Yandle - G
    Skjei - Boyle/Klein

Would have been tits.

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Hayes had no leverage and they paid him as a 50 point player for a year, coming out of a "bad year" where he scored 44 points. Maybe the 25 goals put him over the $5 mil mark, but the lack of a long term commitment IMO means that they aren't really paying attention to numbers and are more going with "their gut" on what they think they have in these players. In other words regardless of what happened last year, they clearly feel SKjei is worth investing in and Hayes isn't.
    got it - agreed.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Being partnered doesn't explain why McD stopped using his legs to make plays or his lack of offensive instincts.

In 13-14, McD was a Norris-type defenseman because he was the best athlete on the ice - he could score 15 goals just by being a better skater. After that playoff run, he stopped skating and has never had the instincts to be a gamebreaker. None of that has to do with his partner, regardless of whether or not he should have been paired with G.

Also, off the rails here a little bit, but I still think AV's greatest fuck-up with the defense was refusing to move Mac to the right.

Staal - Mac
    Yandle - G
    Skjei - Boyle/Klein

Would have been tits.
    I kinda felt like after 15/16 we saw that drop off in his play (despite the point total being 42 the following year)

I don't disagree that he definitely changed as a player. But I'm talking prior to 15/16, I think they could have gotten even more out of him.

I do agree that moving him to the right should have at least been tried. Especially with Yandle here. I didn't understand why they had to protect Yandle so much. IMO, you trade that much for a guy with those skills, you play the fuck out of him.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division

Staal - Mac
    Yandle - G
    Skjei - Boyle/Klein

Would have been tits.
    I think he just became a scared player (Mac). He took a couple of hard hits and became a lot more shy. You're right about that D though, Future. That lineup would have been the way to go....but leave it to that rocket scientist we had to "coach" his way.....ok, I won't go there, but yeah, gimme a guy who plays with some reckless abandon any day.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I kinda felt like after 15/16 we saw that drop off in his play (despite the point total being 42 the following year)

I don't disagree that he definitely changed as a player. But I'm talking prior to 15/16, I think they could have gotten even more out of him.

I do agree that moving him to the right should have at least been tried. Especially with Yandle here. I didn't understand why they had to protect Yandle so much. IMO, you trade that much for a guy with those skills, you play the fuck out of him.
    AV did try it, and he said he liked Mac on the left more because he was more engaged offensively.

That never made sense to me, because he didn't do shit on offense ever after 13-14

HNIC BSBH Legend
    I mean he had 42 points in 16-17 so hard to say he never did shit after 13-14.

His goal totals dipped after 13-14 when he scored 14 but his assist totals were consistent. Makes me think the goals stopped coming for the same reason his mobility suffered, that shoulder injury.

I mean he had 42 points in 16-17 so hard to say he never did shit after 13-14.

His goal totals dipped after 13-14 when he scored 14 but his assist totals were consistent. Makes me think the goals stopped coming for the same reason his mobility suffered, that shoulder injury.
    For a guy playing that many minutes, including the PP, on an offense that good, 42 points isn't anything. His pp/60 (1.34) was the same as Ryan Ellis, 28th, and considerably worse than Brady Skjei (1.68), 10th. He only had 1 more even-strength assist (22) than Nick Holden (21).

Mac makes a good first pass, that's all he's done offensively since the playoff run in 2014. I don't buy that a shoulder injury made him stop skating. If his shooting % dropped considerably, then maybe there's something chronic, but it didn't, he just stopped shooting, because he stopped making plays with his legs.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    For a guy playing that many minutes, including the PP, on an offense that good, 42 points isn't anything. His pp/60 (1.34) was the same as Ryan Ellis, 28th, and considerably worse than Brady Skjei (1.68), 10th. He only had 1 more even-strength assist (22) than Nick Holden (21).

Mac makes a good first pass, that's all he's done offensively since the playoff run in 2014. I don't buy that a shoulder injury made him stop skating. If his shooting % dropped considerably, then maybe there's something chronic, but it didn't, he just stopped shooting, because he stopped making plays with his legs.
    40+ points is considered a good offensive year for a defenseman.

Ever think he stopped shooting because he knew his shot had nothing on it? That's what happened to Jagr after his shoulder injury. Gaborik, too. Shot totals dipped. They lost confidence.

You'll have to explain to me how making plays with your legs has anything to do with shooting.

40+ points is considered a good offensive year for a defenseman.

Ever think he stopped shooting because he knew his shot had nothing on it? That's what happened to Jagr after his shoulder injury. Gaborik, too. Shot totals dipped. They lost confidence.

You'll have to explain to me how making plays with your legs has anything to do with shooting.
    Jagr never stopped shooting, neither did Gaborik until he lost his legs. Mac has never depended on his shot having anything on it. It's not like he's been just ripping bombs his entire career - he skates into the high slot or in tight to score, anything from the point just finds its way through traffic.

Your legs give you space to shoot. If you can't skate, you can't get open, especially if you don't have instincts. That's pretty fundamental in every sport - hockey, basketball, lacrosse, soccer. That's how Mac has scored.
    Last edited by Future; 08-03-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Maybe McD’s broken foot had something to do with his mobility, just a guess
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

That was only like 3 games in the playoffs.

I meant maybe there’s a lingering effect
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Jagr never stopped shooting, neither did Gaborik until he lost his legs. Mac has never depended on his shot having anything on it. It's not like he's been just ripping bombs his entire career - he skates into the high slot or in tight to score, anything from the point just finds its way through traffic.

Your legs give you space to shoot. If you can't skate, you can't get open, especially if you don't have instincts. That's pretty fundamental in every sport - hockey, basketball, lacrosse, soccer. That's how Mac has scored.
    Jagr never stopped shooting? 368...injury...324...249 (Can't find shot attempt info so used shots on goal)

Gaby never stopped? 6.2 attempts per game the year before he was injured, 5.2 the year he got hurt. He came back from it, tho.

If your upper body is hindered, you can't skate as well. That's pretty fundamental.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234