• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

WSH Re-Sign F Tom Wilson to 6-Year/$31.02M Extension; $5.17M AAV

josh

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would much rather spend that sort of money on Tom Wilson than Kevin Hayes, but maybe I'm alone here.

...why? Even if both were centers (they're not), how can you possibly justify a $5M AAV on a 35-point third-line level player who put up numbers similar to Jesper Fast playing shotgun to Ovechkin?

...why? Even if both were centers (they're not), how can you possibly justify a $5M AAV on a 35-point third-line level player who put up numbers similar to Jesper Fast playing shotgun to Ovechkin?

I didn't say I thought it was money well spent, I just made the point because people seem fine spending that money on Hayes whilst poo-pooing this deal.

Wilson was an important part of a Stanley Cup winning team, fills a very specific role on the Caps and is an absolute nightmare to play against. He opens up loads of space for the Ovechkin line and has the opposition more worried about whatever it is Tom Wilson is doing than focusing on playing the game. It's the dreaded intangibles I guess. I'd certainly have him in my team over Hayes any day of the week, even if it isn't necessarily comparing apples with apples.

It's a lot of money for Wilson. He's a good player, no doubt, but $5 million when you have Vrana and Burakovsky next summer is, in a word, yikes. Especially with Carlson kept long-term. Someone's getting traded in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

IMO I thought he was a huge difference-maker in the SCF -- the physical presence and impact on Vegas was a standout to me. That he can play with top caliber players like Ovi is a huge plus, otherwise he wouldn't see a fraction of this money.

I didn't say I thought it was money well spent, I just made the point because people seem fine spending that money on Hayes whilst poo-pooing this deal.

Probably because Hayes is more productive and a better hockey player.

Wilson was an important part of a Stanley Cup winning team, fills a very specific role on the Caps and is an absolute nightmare to play against. He opens up loads of space for the Ovechkin line and has the opposition more worried about whatever it is Tom Wilson is doing than focusing on playing the game. It's the dreaded intangibles I guess. I'd certainly have him in my team over Hayes any day of the week, even if it isn't necessarily comparing apples with apples.

I get all that. I like players like that, too. I also hate overpaying for grit that isn't productive. His deal is more comparable to Lucic than Hayes. Going for both term and big AAV on these types of players almost NEVER works out.

I don’t agree Hayes is a “better” hockey player.

Puts up more points, yes. But there are a host of players that could replace him in any given lineup. I can’t think of many, if any, players currently playing that would’ve been a like for like replacement for Wilson in that Caps lineup.

At the end of the day hockey is a team sport and you need different guys doing different things. Wilson brings a pretty unique skill set to the Caps lineup, it’s obviously working for them and they felt it was worth paying for. I think it’s fair enough.

Scores more, plays a harder position, excels in a two-way role, and doesn't ride shotgun to stars to produce his primary points. You can disagree, I suppose, but you're disagreeing with an awful lot of facts that don't paint Wilson in a great light.

When it comes to guys like Wilson, I'm all in, too, but to a limit. Kreider, for example, is a good comparable who makes less and produces more.

Scores more, plays a harder position, excels in a two-way role, and doesn't ride shotgun to stars to produce his primary points. You can disagree, I suppose, but you're disagreeing with an awful lot of facts that don't paint Wilson in a great light.

When it comes to guys like Wilson, I'm all in, too, but to a limit. Kreider, for example, is a good comparable who makes less and produces more.

Well not exactly. I'm disagreeing with leaning mainly on production to determine the value of a player without looking at context.

I don't think riding shotgun to Ovi is a stick to beat him with in this instance. The fact he's able to skate with Ovi and Kuznetsov and not be detrimental to that line is what separates him from most of your typical grit guys. Him playing on that line made them horrendous to deal with, and in my opinion he was extremely important against Pittsburgh, Tampa and VGK.

What I agree with is that the Caps might have been a bit giddy with their playoff run and it's obviously a bit of a risk in terms of how Wilson actually pans out in the long run.

I understand questioning the cap hit here, but I also understand why the Caps feel there is value in the very specific role he performs and they obviously believe he can build on what he started in the playoffs.

I don't think Kreider is comparable at all. Wilson absolutely destroys teams with his physical, in your face game. Like I said, teams are often more concerned with Tom Wilson than with playing the game. Kreider does nothing of the sort and has nowhere near the same effect.

Well not exactly. I'm disagreeing with leaning mainly on production to determine the value of a player without looking at context.

I don't think riding shotgun to Ovi is a stick to beat him with in this instance. The fact he's able to skate with Ovi and Kuznetsov and not be detrimental to that line is what separates him from most of your typical grit guys. Him playing on that line made them horrendous to deal with, and in my opinion he was extremely important against Pittsburgh, Tampa and VGK.

What I agree with is that the Caps might have been a bit giddy with their playoff run and it's obviously a bit of a risk in terms of how Wilson actually pans out in the long run.

I understand questioning the cap hit here, but I also understand why the Caps feel there is value in the very specific role he performs and they obviously believe he can build on what he started in the playoffs.

I don't think Kreider is comparable at all. Wilson absolutely destroys teams with his physical, in your face game. Like I said, teams are often more concerned with Tom Wilson than with playing the game. Kreider does nothing of the sort and has nowhere near the same effect.

Because Wilson is a unicorn. There are none exactly like him, or close enough to blur the lines. But there are players of similar cache, like Kreider, who are better comparables by both position, role, production, and size.

Generally speaking, I agree with you on Wilson as a player. But even with 30-something even strength points to his name riding shotgun to OV, that's a bit of an indicment on what he can actually accomplish. Again, playing primarily third and fourth line minutes, Jesper Fast accomplished a similar scoring feat and makes basically 4x less per season.

Ultimately, I think the Caps made the right call in keeping him. But the cost to do so could prove Pyrrhic, especially if it costs them Vrana and/or Burakovsky next summer.

Wilson feels like Lucic 2.0

Exciting for a bit, but eventually a terrible contract

Difference being, Lucic was 2x the player than Wilson ever was/is

Basically this. Wonderful players to have... until you have to pay them as they age and become dramatically less effective.

Someone would choose a career-high 35 points winger who played on the same line as Ovechkin (who scored 50 goals) before Hayes? :rofl:

Im sorry, but thats just funny.

I didn't say that. I said I'd rather give Wilson that contract than pay Hayes what he's asking. I've also explained why I don't think it's as laughable as many think from a Caps perspective, even though it's obviously a risk. We haven't really discussed it from a Rangers perspective, but IMO it doesn't sound like a great idea to tie down Hayes to a long term deal with the current crop of young centers coming through.

As of now it appears both the Rangers and Capitals management agrees with me.

IMO I thought he was a huge difference-maker in the SCF -- the physical presence and impact on Vegas was a standout to me. That he can play with top caliber players like Ovi is a huge plus, otherwise he wouldn't see a fraction of this money.

I don't think it's that he can play with those guys.

It's that those guys are so good they can carry a goon. I will say that Wilson's game helps give Ovi and Kuznetsov some extra space, so it's worked, but that's not because of any skillset that Wilson has. All he does, essentially, is allow those two guys to play 4v4.

Archived