• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Three Teams from Last Year Most Likely to Miss the Playoffs and Three Most Likely to Make it

Sod16

Time for a summer doldrums thread. Which three teams that made the playoffs last year are the most likely to miss this coming season, and which three who missed last year are most likely to now make it?

Most Likely to miss:

Minnesota: slowly getting worse. Suter-Parise window over. Good defense, but forwards are getting stale.

Philadelphia: The 30 year quest for a decent goalie persists. I can't spell the names of their best three players (two start with a G and one with a C), but beyond them, they aren't that great.

LA: It's going to take something other than Kovalchuk to prop them up, no matter how good Doughty is.

(Honorable mention: Pittsburgh. It may be time. Vegas. Welcome to the real world)

Most likely to make it:

FLA: clearly on upswing

STL: Lost coin flip on last day

EDM: Some were wildly picking them for the cup last year and they were terrible. Happy medium is where they'll settle

(Honorable mention: Carolina)

• Like 1

Time for a summer doldrums thread. Which three teams that made the playoffs last year are the most likely to miss this coming season, and which three who missed last year are most likely to now make it?

Most Likely to miss:

Minnesota: slowly getting worse. Suter-Parise window over. Good defense, but forwards are getting stale.

Philadelphia: The 30 year quest for a decent goalie persists. I can't spell the names of their best three players (two start with a G and one with a C), but beyond them, they aren't that great.

LA: It's going to take something other than Kovalchuk to prop them up, no matter how good Doughty is.

(Honorable mention: Pittsburgh. It may be time. Vegas. Welcome to the real world)

Most likely to make it:

FLA: clearly on upswing

STL: Lost coin flip on last day

EDM: Some were wildly picking them for the cup last year and they were terrible. Happy medium is where they'll settle

(Honorable mention: Carolina)

Those were mine. I like your honorable mention in Carolina too. The Ducks to miss. Pitt and Vegas could easily drop, but that far? Losing Neal could hurt, he leaves a big hole that Stasny can't fill.

Josh, the Jets are not missing the playoffs. Presidents trophy is more likely. I was 1 year early on my Jets over Tampa Cup prediction. That's this year. I'll call it the big tease.

rnc51, like what the Avs are building. Maybe they take one step back to take two forward the following year. But if they get goaltending they are going to be tough.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should be moving Pittsburgh from honorable mention to the top three! These things sometimes come to an end faster than you expect. After the Rangers run in 97, I don't think many picked them to miss the playoffs the next season.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should be moving Pittsburgh from honorable mention to the top three! These things sometimes come to an end faster than you expect. After the Rangers run in 97, I don't think many picked them to miss the playoffs the next season.

Rangers had a pretty big turnover between those two years.

Pens might just have been the 2nd or 3rd best team in the playoffs last year.

Of the big two stay healthy is expect them to be hunting for a cup again

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

out:

Vegas - probably not but we'll see

NJD - Can Hall really do it all by himself again?

Wild - haven't progressed over the years. Probably can't count on Staal to repeat the season he had. a decline is probably overdue

in:

Coyotes - really turned it around late in the season and I think they will be much better

Blues - They've probably had one of the best offseasons in the league

Carolina - Some pretty good offseason moves. They always feel like they are just one or two peices away. we'll see

out:

Wild - haven't progressed over the years. Probably can't count on Staal to repeat the season he had. a decline is probably overdue

in:

Coyotes - really turned it around late in the season and I think they will be much better

Carolina - Some pretty good offseason moves. They always feel like they are just one or two peices away. we'll see

Good analysis here. Coyotes deserve more mention than they've been getting on this thread. They were not bad at all after that 0-13-1 or whatever it was start.

• 4 months later...
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to see how our predictions are looking so far. Just about everyone picked NJ to miss and that looks right. Many also picked Philly, which looks good. A lot of people thought FLA and STL would make it. That's not looking good so far. Nobody picked MTL or Buf to make it. That remains to be seen, but they've been surprising.
  • Like 1

Thought I'd resurrect this thread to see how our predictions are looking so far. Just about everyone picked NJ to miss and that looks right. Many also picked Philly, which looks good. A lot of people thought FLA and STL would make it. That's not looking good so far. Nobody picked MTL or Buf to make it. That remains to be seen, but they've been surprising.

Florida is honestly baffling to me. I just don't understand how they aren't better.

STL too, though they I think had less margin for error.

• 3 months later...

East: Devils and Flyers out; Canes and Goylundahs in

West: Wild, Kings and Ducks out; Blues, Flames and Stars in.

NYI the only major surprise, although no one would have had the Flames going from out of the playoffs to leading the conference.

Out-Kings, Devils, Flyers but who knows in the mediocre metro this year, pick 2 teams to be out.

In-Panthers, Flames, Oilers

Some really fun hockey in western Canada and the state of Florida this year.

I did really well picking the Kings, Devils, and Flyers to be out.

Only got the Flames right to be in

Carolina :cool: and Florida :palm: in the EC. Blues in the WC :cool:.

Dropping out will be Jersey:cool: and Columbus :palm:. Ducks in the WC :cool:.

And yes, I do have the lottery numbers if anyone?s interested.

*obama not bad gif*

out:

in:

I got two out of three for each and was almost 3 for 3 on in.