Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Three Teams from Last Year Most Likely to Miss the Playoffs and Three Most Likely to Make it

  1. #1
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    12

    Three Teams from Last Year Most Likely to Miss the Playoffs and Three Most Likely to Make it

    Time for a summer doldrums thread. Which three teams that made the playoffs last year are the most likely to miss this coming season, and which three who missed last year are most likely to now make it?

    Most Likely to miss:

    Minnesota: slowly getting worse. Suter-Parise window over. Good defense, but forwards are getting stale.

    Philadelphia: The 30 year quest for a decent goalie persists. I can't spell the names of their best three players (two start with a G and one with a C), but beyond them, they aren't that great.

    LA: It's going to take something other than Kovalchuk to prop them up, no matter how good Doughty is.

    (Honorable mention: Pittsburgh. It may be time. Vegas. Welcome to the real world)

    Most likely to make it:

    FLA: clearly on upswing
    STL: Lost coin flip on last day
    EDM: Some were wildly picking them for the cup last year and they were terrible. Happy medium is where they'll settle

    (Honorable mention: Carolina)

  2. #2
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,521
    Rep Power
    253
    Out:
    Wild
    Avalanche
    Ducks
    Dark horse: jets


    In:
    Oilers
    Flames
    Stars
    Blues
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  3. #3
    Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    496
    Rep Power
    15
    Out:
    Avs
    Devils
    Flyers

    In:
    Carolina
    Florida
    Blues

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,030
    Rep Power
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Time for a summer doldrums thread. Which three teams that made the playoffs last year are the most likely to miss this coming season, and which three who missed last year are most likely to now make it?

    Most Likely to miss:

    Minnesota: slowly getting worse. Suter-Parise window over. Good defense, but forwards are getting stale.

    Philadelphia: The 30 year quest for a decent goalie persists. I can't spell the names of their best three players (two start with a G and one with a C), but beyond them, they aren't that great.

    LA: It's going to take something other than Kovalchuk to prop them up, no matter how good Doughty is.

    (Honorable mention: Pittsburgh. It may be time. Vegas. Welcome to the real world)

    Most likely to make it:

    FLA: clearly on upswing
    STL: Lost coin flip on last day
    EDM: Some were wildly picking them for the cup last year and they were terrible. Happy medium is where they'll settle

    (Honorable mention: Carolina)
    Those were mine. I like your honorable mention in Carolina too. The Ducks to miss. Pitt and Vegas could easily drop, but that far? Losing Neal could hurt, he leaves a big hole that Stasny can't fill.

    Josh, the Jets are not missing the playoffs. Presidents trophy is more likely. I was 1 year early on my Jets over Tampa Cup prediction. That's this year. I'll call it the big tease.

    rnc51, like what the Avs are building. Maybe they take one step back to take two forward the following year. But if they get goaltending they are going to be tough.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-22-2018 at 07:21 PM.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    500
    Rep Power
    23
    Carolina and Florida in the EC. Blues in the WC.
    Dropping out will be Jersey and Columbus. Ducks in the WC.

    And yes, I do have the lottery numbers if anyone’s interested.
    Last edited by Gravesy; 07-25-2018 at 06:35 AM.

  6. #6
    Boston fans are Racist and Arrogant Squirt Division rangers02's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Plymouth County, MA
    Posts
    426
    Rep Power
    3
    OUT:
    ANA
    NJD
    CBJ

    In:
    FLA
    STL
    CAR

  7. #7
    The Dolphin Whisperer BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,264
    Rep Power
    363
    Out: Devils, Kings, Wild
    In: Carolina (this is the year!), Oilers, Stars

  8. #8
    Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,580
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    Out: Devils, Kings, Wild
    In: Carolina (this is the year!), Oilers, Stars
    That avatar is so awesome

    Out: Kings, Ducks, Devils
    In: Oilers, Flames, Rangers

  9. #9
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    12
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should be moving Pittsburgh from honorable mention to the top three! These things sometimes come to an end faster than you expect. After the Rangers run in 97, I don't think many picked them to miss the playoffs the next season.

  10. #10
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    10,706
    Rep Power
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I wonder if I should be moving Pittsburgh from honorable mention to the top three! These things sometimes come to an end faster than you expect. After the Rangers run in 97, I don't think many picked them to miss the playoffs the next season.
    Rangers had a pretty big turnover between those two years.
    Pens might just have been the 2nd or 3rd best team in the playoffs last year.
    Of the big two stay healthy is expect them to be hunting for a cup again


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    jjweimar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    1,257
    Rep Power
    23
    Devils avalanche wild out
    Rangers stars oilers in

    Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

  12. #12
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,555
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Out:
    Avs
    Devils
    Flyers

    In:
    Carolina
    Florida
    Blues
    I think this is a pretty good list, though Colorado is trending in the right direction, rather than the wrong.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Junior Division
    BlairBettsBlocksEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,007
    Rep Power
    69
    out:
    Vegas - probably not but we'll see
    NJD - Can Hall really do it all by himself again?
    Wild - haven't progressed over the years. Probably can't count on Staal to repeat the season he had. a decline is probably overdue

    in:
    Coyotes - really turned it around late in the season and I think they will be much better
    Blues - They've probably had one of the best offseasons in the league
    Carolina - Some pretty good offseason moves. They always feel like they are just one or two peices away. we'll see
    __________________________________

  14. #14
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,495
    Rep Power
    335
    Out:
    Devils
    Ducks
    Golden Knights

    In:
    Panthers
    Blues
    Stars
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

  15. #15
    Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    354
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    out:
    Vegas - probably not but we'll see
    NJD - Can Hall really do it all by himself again?
    Wild - haven't progressed over the years. Probably can't count on Staal to repeat the season he had. a decline is probably overdue

    in:
    Coyotes - really turned it around late in the season and I think they will be much better
    Blues - They've probably had one of the best offseasons in the league
    Carolina - Some pretty good offseason moves. They always feel like they are just one or two peices away. we'll see
    Good analysis here. Coyotes deserve more mention than they've been getting on this thread. They were not bad at all after that 0-13-1 or whatever it was start.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •