• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jets' D Jacob Trouba Awarded 1-Year/$5.5M Arbitration Ruling

Phil

One more year of RFA. He's in the same position as Parise was with the Devils the last two years. They seem utterly reluctant to pay him anywhere near what he's worth long-term. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to arbitration again next summer and left as a UFA, just like Parise.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Jets playing with fire here, but if the plan is to keep him for one more run before they trade him next offseason its a good deal for them. Trouba @ 5.5m is a steal.

They don't even need to. They could do this again if they absolutely had to, or inexplicably wanted to, and just let him go the Parise route to UFA after the 2019 season having gotten the majority of his prime for very little. They've got a window to win the Cup these next few years, anyway.

Btw, why didnt anyone offer sheet him? 6m AAV would mean just a 1st and a 3rd. From 6 to 8.1m its a 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Trouba is easily worth that for non-lottery teams.

Because offer sheets aren't actually a thing.

They don't even need to. They could do this again if they absolutely had to, or inexplicably wanted to, and just let him go the Parise route to UFA after the 2019 season having gotten the majority of his prime for very little. They've got a window to win the Cup these next few years, anyway.

I guess, but he's still 26 in two years, losing a 26 y/old Trouba for free will hurt.

I could see them signing him long term after the upcoming season when Myers 5.5m will be off the books. Still needs to sign Connor, Laine and Morressey next season tho. Wheeler aswell, but he'll be 32 next summer, so not sure what they'll do with him.

Not if Hayes isn't signed long-term. The Jets have the same trouble as other clubs in not knowing if their big pieces, Trouba included, are in for the long-term.

Hayes for Trouba doesn't answer the question for them. It just changes a variable.

I would think any deal centered around Hayes will be a sign-and-trade. Would bring back a much better return than selling him as a rental at the deadline.

Because offer sheets aren't actually a thing.

I thought you could still make an offer for an RFA and if you got him, you had to compensate according to a schedule.

I fully admit I do spend time under a rock. A very heavy one, and the why, wherefore, and what happened while I wan't looking closely enough of offersheets escaped my notice.

What happened to them? Why is it they "aren't actually a thing"? DiD something change legally in the NHL to take them off the table?

or is it some kind of unspoken convention among owners and no-one does it anymore? I don't know and have no idea. What went wrong or what changed?

A 1st and a 3rd for Trouba, if that was the compensation, seems more than reasonable. I'd hit it.

Was that a missed opportunity or just not an opportunity that ever existed?

I would think any deal centered around Hayes will be a sign-and-trade. Would bring back a much better return than selling him as a rental at the deadline.

It would have to be, but at this point, that would also effectively require Hayes' consent to go to Winnipeg long-term.

I thought you could still make an offer for an RFA and if you got him, you had to compensate according to a schedule.

I fully admit I do spend time under a rock. A very heavy one, and the why, wherefore, and what happened while I wan't looking closely enough of offersheets escaped my notice.

Yes, if you sign an unprotected RFA, you are required to compensate the team with whatever the requisite picks are. Arbitration protects any RFA from an offer sheet, however. The moment the team or player elect, that player can only leave via trade, and only if the team doesn't actually go to arbitration and signs them ahead of the scheduled meeting.

What happened to them? Why is it they "aren't actually a thing"? DiD something change legally in the NHL to take them off the table?

or is it some kind of unspoken convention among owners and no-one does it anymore? I don't know and have no idea. What went wrong or what changed?

The latter. GMs, by and large, play a safe game by never stepping on the toes of others.

A 1st and a 3rd for Trouba, if that was the compensation, seems more than reasonable. I'd hit it.

Was that a missed opportunity or just not an opportunity that ever existed?

In a trade? Would have cost much more than that.

Archived