Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets' D Jacob Trouba Awarded 1-Year/$5.5M Arbitration Ruling

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    I would have, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Not if Hayes isn't signed long-term. The Jets have the same trouble as other clubs in not knowing if their big pieces, Trouba included, are in for the long-term.

Hayes for Trouba doesn't answer the question for them. It just changes a variable.

I would think any deal centered around Hayes will be a sign-and-trade. Would bring back a much better return than selling him as a rental at the deadline.

a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    They don't even need to. They could do this again if they absolutely had to, or inexplicably wanted to, and just let him go the Parise route to UFA after the 2019 season having gotten the majority of his prime for very little. They've got a window to win the Cup these next few years, anyway.

Because offer sheets aren't actually a thing.
    I thought you could still make an offer for an RFA and if you got him, you had to compensate according to a schedule.
    I fully admit I do spend time under a rock. A very heavy one, and the why, wherefore, and what happened while I wan't looking closely enough of offersheets escaped my notice.
    What happened to them? Why is it they "aren't actually a thing"? DiD something change legally in the NHL to take them off the table?
    or is it some kind of unspoken convention among owners and no-one does it anymore? I don't know and have no idea. What went wrong or what changed?

A 1st and a 3rd for Trouba, if that was the compensation, seems more than reasonable. I'd hit it.
    Was that a missed opportunity or just not an opportunity that ever existed?
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    I would think any deal centered around Hayes will be a sign-and-trade. Would bring back a much better return than selling him as a rental at the deadline.
    It would have to be, but at this point, that would also effectively require Hayes' consent to go to Winnipeg long-term.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    I thought you could still make an offer for an RFA and if you got him, you had to compensate according to a schedule.

I fully admit I do spend time under a rock. A very heavy one, and the why, wherefore, and what happened while I wan't looking closely enough of offersheets escaped my notice.
    Yes, if you sign an unprotected RFA, you are required to compensate the team with whatever the requisite picks are. Arbitration protects any RFA from an offer sheet, however. The moment the team or player elect, that player can only leave via trade, and only if the team doesn't actually go to arbitration and signs them ahead of the scheduled meeting.

What happened to them? Why is it they "aren't actually a thing"? DiD something change legally in the NHL to take them off the table?
    or is it some kind of unspoken convention among owners and no-one does it anymore? I don't know and have no idea. What went wrong or what changed?
    The latter. GMs, by and large, play a safe game by never stepping on the toes of others.

A 1st and a 3rd for Trouba, if that was the compensation, seems more than reasonable. I'd hit it.
    Was that a missed opportunity or just not an opportunity that ever existed?
    In a trade? Would have cost much more than that.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Yes, if you sign an unprotected RFA, you are required to compensate the team with whatever the requisite picks are. Arbitration protects any RFA from an offer sheet, however. The moment the team or player elect, that player can only leave via trade, and only if the team doesn't actually go to arbitration and signs them ahead of the scheduled meeting.

The latter. GMs, by and large, play a safe game by never stepping on the toes of others.

In a trade? Would have cost much more than that.

He was probably talking about my post where I said that Trouba's cap hit (5.5m) would just cost a 1st and 3rd if he was offered a contract. He would probably only accept a long term contract if he was to go somewhere else, and with a higher AAV, so I guess the compensation would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Still worth it in my opinion tho.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    He was probably talking about my post where I said that Trouba's cap hit (5.5m) would just cost a 1st and 3rd if he was offered a contract. He would probably only accept a long term contract if he was to go somewhere else, and with a higher AAV, so I guess the compensation would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Still worth it in my opinion tho.
    You'd have to have offered more to get Trouba, since it seems Winnipeg would have matched that 5.5.

What Pete said. WPG would match that in a heartbeat.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Yeah, thats kinda exactly what I said. If someone wanted to sign him it would be to a much longer contract and with a higher AAV, which is why I said the compensation would be 1st, 2nd and a 3rd, not only a 1st and a 3rd.

But yeah, offer sheets are mostly for fans to dream I guess.

It would have to be in the vein of what the Flyers dropped on Shea Weber minus the bullshit years. You'd probably have to offer Trouba like $8.5 million a year just to get to a point where the Jets second-guessed matching given their need to re-sign Laine and Connor, and the big call they have to make on Wheeler next summer. And even then, I'm not sure they say no. It's not as though they don't have the room. As it stands they project to have like $35 million in available cap room going into that season with Hellebuyck, Ehlers, etc. already locked up.
    Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I could see them not matching a contract like 6 years x 8m AAV. I think it would be too much and too long for them and they would be getting a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, which is not horrible for Trouba.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12