Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign D John Gilmour to 1-Year/$650K Extension

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    417

    Rangers Re-Sign D John Gilmour to 1-Year/$650K Extension

    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,619
    Rep Power
    95
    SHOW ME deals all over the place. I don't think Gilmour will make the team. Maybe sees some time after injuries.
    GORTON 2020

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,710
    Rep Power
    257
    Qualifying Offers (for those not eligible for arbitration) had to be signed by yesterday, I believe. We will see a few of these come through, today.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    545
    Rep Power
    25
    He got slaughtered in here but I think the boy has talent
    I like that we’re having another look at him.

  5. #5
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,619
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    He got slaughtered in here but I think the boy has talent
    I like that we’re having another look at him.
    He skates very well and absolutely has puck skills. The question becomes, how many non-defensive d-men can you carry before it becomes a huge issue. ADA and Shattenkirk, IMO, are better than Gilmour and they basically don't play defense at all. Gilmour would be a 3 of 6. Hard to justify.

    That said. I love that they're giving him a chance. May the best man win.
    GORTON 2020

  6. #6
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Gilmour had some nice highlights, but he was awful in general last year. For a guy who is already 25, it's hard to see him ever being an NHLer.

    I like Gilmour, but, come January, I can't imagine he's a better player than Sean Day, who is only 20. That really works against Gilmour.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,619
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Gilmour had some nice highlights, but he was awful in general last year. For a guy who is already 25, it's hard to see him ever being an NHLer.

    I like Gilmour, but, come January, I can't imagine he's a better player than Sean Day, who is only 20. That really works against Gilmour.
    Serious question: Is Sean Day going to be on this roster some day? It's hard to tell what kind of prospect he his. He looks like a man-child though so that's cool.
    GORTON 2020

  8. #8
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,111
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    He skates very well and absolutely has puck skills. The question becomes, how many non-defensive d-men can you carry before it becomes a huge issue. ADA and Shattenkirk, IMO, are better than Gilmour and they basically don't play defense at all. Gilmour would be a 3 of 6. Hard to justify.

    That said. I love that they're giving him a chance. May the best man win.
    I'd love to see Quinn take a guy like this and make him into a PP specialist ala Mark Street. Seems as though the one dimensional offensive D man no longer exists. Bring it back.

  9. #9
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Serious question: Is Sean Day going to be on this roster some day? It's hard to tell what kind of prospect he his. He looks like a man-child though so that's cool.
    I ask myself the same question from time to time, and then I remind myself he's only 20, and there's no rush.
    Then I remind myself he's a D-man, and that can take longer yet to develop the defensive side of the game to NHL level, so there's no huge rush.
    And then I ask myself, the NHL is so much faster, don't these kids all need exposure to that to help their development?
    And then I tell myself, we haven't even had training camp ... all in good time.

    But yeah, I have a bias to wanting Sean Day to do well. I don't mind admitting that. I like his size and ability to go coast-to-coast in heads-up fashion. Even if it was just one highlight, it looked enticing, lol.

    But now, isn't almost everything about this team now in waiting and patience mode? [Aside from the older younger guys like Vesey and Buch and Hayes, maybe, who are entering their put up or shut up years?]

    And, if it isn't mostly about being patient now, should we be worried?
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 07-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  10. #10
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'd love to see Quinn take a guy like this and make him into a PP specialist ala Mark Street. Seems as though the one dimensional offensive D man no longer exists. Bring it back.
    Mike Green, Anthony DeAngelo, Kevin Shattenkirk? They're not quite Streit/MA Bergeron, but the role isn't entirely gone just yet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  11. #11
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,619
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    I ask myself the same question from time to time, and then I remind myself he's only 20, and there's no rush.
    Then I remind myself he's a D-man, and that can take longer yet to develop the defensive side of the game to NHL level, so there's no huge rush.
    And then I ask myself, the NHL is so much faster, don't these kids all need exposure to that to help their development?
    And then I tell myself, we haven't even had training camp ... all in good time.

    But yeah, I have a bias to wanting Sean Day to do well. I don't mind admitting that. I like his size and ability to go coast-to-coast in heads-up fashion. Even if it was just one highlight, it looked enticing, lol.

    But now, isn't almost everything about this team now in waiting and patience mode? [Aside from the older younger guys like Vesey and Buch and Hayes, maybe, who are entering their put up or shut up years?]

    And, if it isn't mostly about being patient now, should we be worried?
    I'm not worried. Just wondering what kind of prospect he is or where he projects. I really don't know much about him.
    GORTON 2020

  12. #12
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    417
    OP updated with AAV. $650K. Two-way deal worth $100K in the A.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,111
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Mike Green, Anthony DeAngelo, Kevin Shattenkirk? They're not quite Streit/MA Bergeron, but the role isn't entirely gone just yet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Green is pretty old, and Shattenkirk isn't as bad as people make him out to be Ana DeAngelo hasn't played a full season. But yeah I guess there's some that are pretty bad defensively.

  14. #14
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Serious question: Is Sean Day going to be on this roster some day? It's hard to tell what kind of prospect he his. He looks like a man-child though so that's cool.
    No fucking clue lol.

    I only brought him up because he really is the same player as Gilmour - fantastic skater and creative with the puck on the rush, but defensively just isn't always mentally engaged.

  15. #15
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,494
    Rep Power
    82
    I don't mind this, if anything, he could be used a trade chip down the road.

  16. #16
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Mike Green, Anthony DeAngelo, Kevin Shattenkirk? They're not quite Streit/MA Bergeron, but the role isn't entirely gone just yet.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Ghost, Krug...there are others around the league who are put on the 2nd pair so they can get favorable starts that allow them to be more offensive than defensive.

    I'd even throw Brent Burns into that category, though I know most wouldn't and he's not on the 2nd pair.

  17. #17
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,710
    Rep Power
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    I'd love to see Quinn take a guy like this and make him into a PP specialist ala Mark Street. Seems as though the one dimensional offensive D man no longer exists. Bring it back.
    None of those guys are good enough at anything to be one dimensional players.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  18. #18
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    87
    I guess another question in the vein of this thread might be — will the MSG fans — those who like to boo, have moderated their expectations of this season?
    And ... is the MSG gonna help them manage their expectations, or hype things up too much as they often do?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I'm not worried. Just wondering what kind of prospect he is or where he projects. I really don't know much about him.
    Yes, I guess as far as Sean Day is concerned, it's a year for him to play with the Wolf Pack, and if he does well in camp, he might get some games with the senior varsity to begin the season, or a call up at some point, but he's probably got to wait at the back of the D-man queue unless he really goes supernova in camp. I'm sure he's ambitious, despite his kinda laid-back demeanor. Did I say I like him like 5 times already? lol.

    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    No fucking clue lol.

    I only brought him up because he really is the same player as Gilmour - fantastic skater and creative with the puck on the rush, but defensively just isn't always mentally engaged.
    I think a difference between Day and Gilmour is that Day is a lot larger, he "looks" like an old school D-Man presence even if he's really an offensive fella.

    6'3" 231# . vs 6'0" 195# . so offense and possible defensive mental lapses aside, I don't really equate them.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 07-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  19. #19
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    I guess another question in the vein of this thread might be — will the MSG fans — those who like to boo, have moderated their expectations of this season?
    And ... is the MSG gonna help them manage their expectations, or hype things up too much as they often do?
    I feel like the fan base was pretty understanding in...what was it, 03...after they traded Leetch and Renney took over. The "rebuild" was a bit quicker because of how good Jagr was when they signed him, but I think the fan base tempered expectations.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •