• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What Are Your 2018-19 Expectations?

Phil

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Top ten draft position, maybe top five. Tough year to watch if you are focused on wins and losses - hopefully we'll see some youth develop and more promise for the following year, with solid drafting after next season.

I think they will be in the hunt for a playoff berth, because I think we are going to see a couple of guys break out offensively. I don't think we are nearly as bad as people think offensively. In fact, I think we will be quite good in that regard.

The glaring issue will be the defense, and we are a few breaks away from being anywhere near serviceable defensively. A lot rides on Skjei and Shattenkirk at the top, as well as guys like Pionk/ADA stepping into a larger role. I think Pionk is the kind of guy who can really surprise here and take the bull by the horns. He was absorbing large chunks of ice time last season, and I liked the confidence he played with when the puck was on his stick.

My gut says we finish ~10th in the East, 6-8 points out of the playoffs....but the fan in me says we can make the playoffs because we are due to hit the jackpot on a player exploding and reaching the ceiling potential wise rather than hovering around the floor/average.

I have no expectations other than for Quinn to put out a team that plays hard every night, every shift.

My hope is that the likes of Chytil, Andersson, Pionk and de Angelo can establish themselves as NHL players and that we’l be surprised by a couple of guys from the likes of Hajek, Howden, Ronning and Lindgren.

If we get that it will have been a good season regardless of results.

I think the roster as it stands would do well to go north of 65 points, but it could be better if guys like Zib, Skjei and Kreider have breakout years.

This season is going to help my hockey eyes more than anything. Not concentrating on wins and losses but the kids? development will be a new thing for me to really pay attention to.

Expectations? Opening night roster and the one in April are going to be very different I think, though I guess that?s true for any team who has kids that you want to look at.

Def a bottom ~7ish team.

Hank posting .907 come Feb.

Really hoping for an awesome season by Skjei.

Idk why but I feel like one of Anderssen or Chytil will not be on the roster by December.

I think they will be in the hunt for a playoff berth, because I think we are going to see a couple of guys break out offensively. I don't think we are nearly as bad as people think offensively. In fact, I think we will be quite good in that regard.

The glaring issue will be the defense, and we are a few breaks away from being anywhere near serviceable defensively. A lot rides on Skjei and Shattenkirk at the top, as well as guys like Pionk/ADA stepping into a larger role. I think Pionk is the kind of guy who can really surprise here and take the bull by the horns. He was absorbing large chunks of ice time last season, and I liked the confidence he played with when the puck was on his stick.

My gut says we finish ~10th in the East, 6-8 points out of the playoffs....but the fan in me says we can make the playoffs because we are due to hit the jackpot on a player exploding and reaching the ceiling potential wise rather than hovering around the floor/average.

Offense wasn't the problem last season, either. Stopping goals was. Nothing has changed enough in that regard to alter their fate IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Offense wasn't the problem last season, either. Stopping goals was. Nothing has changed enough in that regard to alter their fate IMO.

Offense was not "the" problem but it was "a" problem last year. We finished 21st in goals scored last season. But, yes, generally speaking the much larger problem was defensively and preventing goals.

I don't necessarily think it will happen, but it is possible that the defense improves enough to compete for that bottom playoff spot. There are a bunch of different things that can impact this: coaching change, player progression (Skjei, Pionk, ADA, etc.), health (Shattenkirk), rookie surprise (maybe a guy like Hajek).

I expect to see hunger and energy. Win or lose I think that this group is going to be pretty fun to watch play. Particularly if guys like Chytil, Hajek, and Howden somehow make the team.

I expect them to miss the playoffs and I certainly hope if theyre not in contention by mid season they don?t start making stupid trades to try and right the ship for a few games. Take the losses, get the high pick, and reset for next year.

I know a lot of you are hopeful this team will push for a playoff spot but I really don?t see it. I am okay with being terrible for another year as long as they start to put some pieces together and next year they take a bigger step back in the right direction.

The defense is atrocious.. Staal will be a good mentor and I don?t mind keeping him for the rest of his tenure but he?s a bottom pair d-man at this point. ADA needs to show up or I don?t see him lasting past this season. Pionk I think will be a regular. I can see shatts bouncing back and having a good year. Same with Smith. Skjei needs to take a big step forward in his play if he?s ever going to be a top pair guy this year and he has the perfect opportunity to do so with virtually no competition for a top spot.

While we have no forward stars I think that may actually be a good thing. Let the guys gel and play together and not try and rely on a big name but instead on who is actually performing for once. Heck the pp might actually be bearable to watch this season as a result.

I just wanna see all our young players play a lot. They're going to be bad at times and there's going to be some flashes of good mixed in there someplace. I want to see EFFORT, and the essence of a structure. But mostly I want to see a team playing like a team in unison eventually by March.

That means a team that skates hard, plays hard, and sticks up for one another.

By season's end, I don't really give a shit if they lose every game, as long as they are a "tough out" for the opposition, I'll be good with it.

Bottom line is we need to be in the top 5 picks for 2019, so this year really is just a growing year for our young guns. I do however want Quinn to grab this team by the fucking balls and make it HIS.

Which wouldn't be a mirror image at all. I'm fine with more losses than wins. I'm not fine with the season of listless play we saw all last year. More than just development, I want to see a much more aggressive product on the ice.

entirely this

The last game of the year in Philly it looked like there was literally 0 effort and was actually the perfect way to sum up the season

I'm thinking a lot of it may have had to do with players not playing for their coach anymore and the younger guys who had more of a reason to play than the veterans were simply not good enough. But hopefully new coaching means new reason to play, and a new era to buy into

we have another season of the rebuild to look forward to. of course i want to see them play hard and i'd give quinn a quick hook if thats not the case.

i really see them being sellers at the deadline once again, believing the draft class is again strong. in looking at the potential 2019 free agents the only guy worth talking about is seguin of dallas but would be hard to believe they dont resign him at some point this year, especially since he's still only 26.

my point being is that it seems a long shot that FA helps you much in this day and age given the way teams are locking up the young talent.

sort of forced to grow your own.

We may be better than we think - and probably more fun to watch. I'm thinking bottom 10-5 again, not bottom 5. Maybe higher. Remember, even in the dejected swamp of last March we won enough games to have Phil muttering regularly. 2 factors in my mind:

1. Aside from Kreider, Zib, Shat, Skjei, Hayes, and Hank, of course, maybe a couple others - everyone on that team will have someone hungry and talented sitting right behind them, playing to get attention and dying to take that short ride from Hartford. The mopey black hole that we saw at the end of last year will give way to people playing for their immediate jobs and longer-term career trajectories. We'll have some decently high-powered kids trying to make a name. Survival instinct alone will win some games.

2. There was a reason AV hated to play youngsters. Particularly on D, playing his "right way" was was a high wire act that was hard to learn. Quinn is bound to use a defensive system that is somewhere further toward Torts on the spectrum (although, please, not that far toward a stationary shell) and more accessible to younger players . Getting Shatty back and perhaps a resurrection of Smith along with further development from Pionk would go far towards bringing the D back from the dead. Claesson (with 158 hits last year) may be an underrated own-zone pick-up with a little snarl. We have more talent than last year's D performance reflected to address our biggest weakness. And if not, see item 1.

This team could finish anywhere from 31st to playoffs and not surprise me. There's so much variance in the East it's impossible to predict anything at this point.

NJD and Philly were both rebuilders last year - and bad - and made the playoffs. NYR could do the same.

I'm kind of excited to watch with 0 expectations. Just want to see young guys get a real shot. Ok with seeing mistakes. Ok with seeing losses. Just want to see some hard hockey. If all these youngsters really pan out right away they could definitely do better than expected but if we end up in the Hughes hunt that's fine too

This team could finish anywhere from 31st to playoffs and not surprise me. There's so much variance in the East it's impossible to predict anything at this point.

NJD and Philly were both rebuilders last year - and bad - and made the playoffs. NYR could do the same.

OK, but that's not really what the question was. I'm asking what your expectations are, not where you think they'll be in the standings, necessarily.

OK, but that's not really what the question was. I'm asking what your expectations are, not where you think they'll be in the standings, necessarily.

My expectations are that they fall somewhere between 31st and a wild card.

Anything else is just hopeful, because we don't know anything about how players will respond to Quinn.

Archived