• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

VGK Re-Sign G Marc-Andre Fleury to 3-Year/$21M Extension; $7M AAV

Phil

Pretty great that Vegas only had to go 3 years. What inconsistencies? He's been a critical piece in 2 Cup winners and one finalist in the last 3 years. Not sure if he could have played better. He almost set the playoff record for GAA.

I was not a big fan of Fleury in Pittsburgh but I feel like he has really come into his own the last few seasons. Good signing.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He looked a lot more comfortable and like he was having a lot more fun in Vegas.

Maybe he just feels less pressure there or something, but last season was his best.

Pretty great that Vegas only had to go 3 years. What inconsistencies? He's been a critical piece in 2 Cup winners and one finalist in the last 3 years. Not sure if he could have played better. He almost set the playoff record for GAA.

Dude was a completely different player in the SCF than he was in the first three rounds, no?

I don't think I was imagining that.

Dude was a completely different player in the SCF than he was in the first three rounds, no?

I don't think I was imagining that.

Ehh. The team ran out of steam -- him included, I guess -- but people were talking about him being in the running for Conn Smyth. He's the face of that franchise, makes sense to pay him and make him happy.

The inconsistencies the lead to him losing the starting job in Pitt to a rookie?

Injury? He's been in the playoffs 12 times and in half of those appearances his SV% was under .900. You never know which Fleury will show up in the playoffs, and his career .911 SV% in the playoffs isn't very good.

Didn't Murray get the opportunity to prove himself with MAF concussed? If so, then yes, injury.

If I'm thinking of someone else, then I'm sure Hank would trade his PO SV% for MAF's cup any day.

Didn't Murray get the opportunity to prove himself with MAF concussed? If so, then yes, injury.

This is true. Why are folks on this board critical of this guy? I've had this Fleury debate on this board, last off season. You'd think the player testimonials and Cups in Pitt and the player/coach testimonials and accomplishments in Vegas would put it to bed.

In 2015, after a terrible start, Pitt ditched the coach and acquired even more speed with Daley, Hags, Sheary and other rooks. Once they acquired Hags I watched almost all Pitt's games. Fluery stepped back in goal and led that second half comeback with the best goaltending in the league. He got hurt for the playoffs and the rookie sensation took over.

In 2016 when Murray had a problem, Marc took over and played awesome again, leading the team to a repeat Cup. First one in a while. But if that wasn't good enough for you...

In 2017 he smoked the league again and was their true leader throughout. His playoff numbers into the Finals were an all-time best (record setting) and it wasn't close. He did fine against the Caps, but could not single-handedly win it all. Give the guy a break, he is one of the best people in the NHL and should be HOF bound. Critiquing Fleury about his last 3-4 years, or saying there are inconsistencies is just absurd. Expecting perfection is your issue not his.

This is true. Why are folks on this board critical of this guy? I've had this Fleury debate on this board, last off season. You'd think the player testimonials and Cups in Pitt and the player/coach testimonials and accomplishments in Vegas would put it to bed.

In 2015, after a terrible start, Pitt ditched the coach and acquired even more speed with Daley, Hags, Sheary and other rooks. Once they acquired Hags I watched almost all Pitt's games. Fluery stepped back in goal and led that second half comeback with the best goaltending in the league. He got hurt for the playoffs and the rookie sensation took over.

In 2016 when Murray had a problem, Marc took over and played awesome again, leading the team to a repeat Cup. First one in a while. But if that wasn't good enough for you...

In 2017 he smoked the league again and was their true leader throughout. His playoff numbers into the Finals were an all-time best (record setting) and it wasn't close. He did fine against the Caps, but could not single-handedly win it all. Give the guy a break, he is one of the best people in the NHL and should be HOF bound. Critiquing Fleury about his last 3-4 years, or saying there are inconsistencies is just absurd. Expecting perfection is your issue not his.

Leading them to a cup? In the conference finals he lost game 1 to Ottawa, and then lost the net to Murray in game 3 after giving up 4 goals in 13 minutes. Murray finished the series and played the entire final.

Not to mention, you conveniently glossed over 2010-2015. Combined 20 - 26 with a .895 SV% and 2.86 GAA. Won 2 out of 8 series. Whats the excuse for those shitty years?

Fleury was thrown to the wolves at a much too young age IMO. He could have really benefited from some more seasoning before entering the NHL. Only reason his numbers weren?t worse was because he was on an all star team (or as close to one in the NHL as possible).

Looks like he?s finally settling in to be the goalie he was meant to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

But its not absurd at all. The guy is the literal definition of inconsistent. He has stretches, like this past postseason, where he plays like a brick wall. He also has stretches where he can't stop a beach ball. This is nothing new. Stop acting surprised.

Happy to concede on his early career, but how was he inconsistent this past post season? He stood on his head for 3 series and was a wall against a very potent Jet team. He had the post season record for goalies. He was a shoe-in for the Conn Smyth if Vegas won the Cup. Geez. And he was excellent all year, after the minor injury to start the season.

Leading them to a cup? In the conference finals he lost game 1 to Ottawa, and then lost the net to Murray in game 3 after giving up 4 goals in 13 minutes. Murray finished the series and played the entire final.

Not to mention, you conveniently glossed over 2010-2015. Combined 20 - 26 with a .895 SV% and 2.86 GAA. Won 2 out of 8 series. Whats the excuse for those shitty years?

I was talking about the last bunch of years. BTW, even the year we went to the Cup, Fleury was real good all playoff. He and Hank battled in a great series we were fortunate to win. Fleury was good enough to win a Cup that year too.

He's gone from inconsistent to consistent.

Happy to concede on his early career, but how was he inconsistent this past post season?

He was poor against Washington. In 5 games, he never had a sv% of .900 and was .853 overall.

Standing on your head and then playing poorly is the definition of inconsistent. Henrik has never had a 5-game stretch that bad in the playoffs, for comparison.

He was poor against Washington. In 5 games, he never had a sv% of .900 and was .853 overall.

Standing on your head and then playing poorly is the definition of inconsistent. Henrik has never had a 5-game stretch that bad in the playoffs, for comparison.

You watched the finals, I watched the finals, he was not poor in the finals. He was fine in the first 3 games, I thought Kuz was going to score every time down the ice. He frustrated Ovie for a bit too. The Caps were unstoppable at that point, in a 7 game series.

Prior to the finals he wasn't just standing on his head for a few games, he was shutting teams out or down every game. Series after series after series.

Happy to concede on his early career, but how was he inconsistent this past post season? He stood on his head for 3 series and was a wall against a very potent Jet team. He had the post season record for goalies. He was a shoe-in for the Conn Smyth if Vegas won the Cup. Geez. And he was excellent all year, after the minor injury to start the season.

One good playoff run here or there doesn't make you a consistent goalie, it makes you JS Giguere.

Archived