Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign F Cody McLeod to 1-Year/$750K Extension

Senior Member Squirt Division jsrangers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Easy to roll four lines at bu when you have the most talented roster in college hockey. Much harder in the nhl when your at a disadvantage roster wise going into almost every game. I highly doubt Quinn is going to give a fourth line with McLeod on it equal ice time
    Good call, I think those that think Quinn's "system" is going to compensate for kids with no experience and guys that have proven to be mediocre at best are gonna be disappointed. Maybe he does have some magical turd polish for those that have been a part of the problem the last couple of seasons.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile...ed by Tapatalk

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Then why even give him a contract? Why not give him a PTO instead? It's a waste of money and time.

And it'll matter if Quinn skates him 12:00 a night on Andersson's wing. That's called arrested development.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    But they have money to waste, honestly. Maybe they thought he was going to get signed elsewhere and wanted to make sure they had the option.

He sucks. There's no denying that. But realistically, he's a fine option as an extra forward if the Rangers were trying to toughen up a little bit, which it seems they are.

You meantioned Glass elsewhere but the problem with Glass was not that he was terrible, it was that he was playing with 5 minutes left in a playoff game because AV loved him. Quinn doesn't have the same allegiances. You might see him lean on Hayes or Shattenkirk more but he has no history with any other NHL players (at least in the Rangers system).
    Last edited by ThirtyONE; 07-13-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    GORTON 2020

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    But they have money to waste, honestly. Maybe they thought he was going to get signed elsewhere and wanted to make sure they had the option.

He sucks. There's no denying that. But realistically, he's a fine option as an extra forward if the Rangers were trying to toughen up a little bit, which it seems they are.

You meantioned Glass elsewhere but the problem with Glass was not that he was terrible, it was that he was playing with 5 minutes left in a playoff game because AV loved him. Quinn doesn't have the same alliances. You might see him lean on Hayes or Shattenkirk more but he has no history with any other NHL players (at least in the Rangers system).
    Fair enough. We don't know what Quinn's tendencies will be, so you've got me there. I just think they probably tapped him after losing out on Martin.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post

You meantioned Glass elsewhere but the problem with Glass was not that he was terrible, it was that he was playing with 5 minutes left in a playoff game because AV loved him. Quinn doesn't have the same allegiances. You might see him lean on Hayes or Shattenkirk more but he has no history with any other NHL players (at least in the Rangers system).
    My only problem is that in the spring, when we start signing these undrafted players that he is a contract that counts against the books.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    My only problem is that in the spring, when we start signing these undrafted players that he is a contract that counts against the books.
    I don't worry about that. The Rangers did that to compensate for their lack of picks.

Unless it's a Hayes-type (first rounder that didn't sign), I wouldn't expect them to be in the running. And those usually happen in August iirc.

Senior Member Squirt Division Sod16's Avatar
    Brooks devotes his Slap Shots this Sunday to McCleod. He argues that even if the Rangers have a need for an enforcer, McCleod just isn't the right guy. He was tried and failed already. I don't recall one shift where McCleod got physical and pressed an opponent into an extended sequence in its own end. Even enforcers who can't play much can do that sometimes. Even Glass did that. Signings that reflect bad judgment worry me, because bad judgment does not end with the small signings...

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sod16 View Post
    Brooks devotes his Slap Shots this Sunday to McCleod. He argues that even if the Rangers have a need for an enforcer, McCleod just isn't the right guy. He was tried and failed already. I don't recall one shift where McCleod got physical and pressed an opponent into an extended sequence in its own end. Even enforcers who can't play much can do that sometimes. Even Glass did that. Signings that reflect bad judgment worry me, because bad judgment does not end with the small signings...
    I agree, is there a reason to not believe he will spend most of his time on Hartford? Also, he may have been our last choice as an enforcer. Every alternative was signed to a bad contract by a better team.

We do have to go after at least one of the college free agents. We can offer playing time or an easier path to making the NHL. So I would like to see one signed. I believe the 15th is the earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    I agree, is there a reason to not believe he will spend most of his time on Hartford? Also, he may have been our last choice as an enforcer. Every alternative was signed to a bad contract by a better team.

We do have to go after at least one of the college free agents. We can offer playing time or an easier path to making the NHL. So I would like to see one signed. I believe the 15th is the earliest.
    Hartnell and Winnik are both UFAs.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend

What's the likelihood of either taking a 1 year deal at league minimum (almost)?

Shawcappella BSBH Prospect
    That's exactly the deal Winnik took last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    What's the likelihood of either taking a 1 year deal at league minimum (almost)?
    Pretty good? Winnik signed for exactly that last year and Hartnell for a cool million. I'd rather pay either of them double that than give $750K to McLeod.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew a Penalty View Post
    That's exactly the deal Winnik took last season.
    Gotcha. Whelp. Is what it is.

Another UFA option who would have been better: 27-year-old Michael Latta.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division

Hartnell is not an enforcer tho

He and Winnik can play the role just fine. Fights are down dramatically because the enforcer role is an anachronism. You just need a guy to fight every now and then, not every other night.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Banned Midget Division
    right, but Hartnell was never that type of player. he'd stand up for himself but he was never the guy who's looking for a fight. I could be wrong tho

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Another UFA option who would have been better: 27-year-old Michael Latta.

Yeah, that would be good. Still young enough and capable enough to take a bottom 6 role.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    right, but Hartnell was never that type of player. he'd stand up for himself but he was never the guy who's looking for a fight. I could be wrong tho
    I mean, he fought plenty. What I'm saying is McLeod isn't going to have a world of opponents anyway. So I'd rather have given that money to someone who can play hockey in the space between.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345