• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Kravtsov Agree to Let Him Play Final Year in KHL

skunkman

Vitali Kravtsov’s development will continue for one more season in Russia after the likelihood arose that a conflict over the final year of his KHL contract would keep the Blueshirts’ 2018 ninth-overall draft selection off the ice for an extended period, The Post has learned.

Sources report that the KHL was prepared to file a grievance if Kravtsov had attempted to buy his way out of this second year of his entry-level deal with Traktor Chelyabinsk. The arbitration hearing process might have taken months, during which time the first-rounder would not have been able to play on either side of the Atlantic. KHL training camps begin in the middle of July. The regular season opens on Sept. 1.

Hence, though Kravtsov and the Rangers were eager for the 18-year-old winger to begin his adaptation to the North American game and lifestyle in Hartford with the AHL Wolf Pack, all parties agreed it would be in everyone’s mutual interest for him to avoid potential litigation and instead play out his obligation. He will be free and clear of his KHL commitment at the end of the season.

Kravtsov, who participated in the Blueshirts’ prospect camp late last month, will thus be unable to join the team for training camp and the Traverse City rookie tournament. He is, however, a prime candidate for a spot on Team Russia’s World Junior roster.

https://nypost.com/2018/07/09/rangers-and-their-top-pick-agree-to-wait-a-year-for-each-other/

Get the playing time in.

He still can personally buy out his KHL contract, but after discussing that option with the Rangers, all parties involved agreed it would be beneficial for Kravtsov to play one more KHL season before coming to North America, according to a Rangers spokesperson.

Kravtsov's intention is to still play in North America this season, either with the Rangers or with Hartford of the American Hockey League, because of the timing of the KHL season.

He expects to be released from his KHL contract immediately after Traktor Chelyabinsk plays its final game, which could be as early as Feb. 22.

"He's ready to start playing here," Clark said.

https://www.nhl.com/news/vitali-kravtsov-could-play-for-new-york-rangers-this-season/c-299455886?tid=277729154

So best case scenario is Kravtsov is a monster and Traktor sucks. If he comes over, say March 1, he could play some 20 games in the AHL. That, plus a full offseason with the Rangers would give him a really good head start towards making the roster next season.

He'd burn off a year on his ELC if he played with the Rangers at all this season regardless of how many games. While he would technically be signing his contract at the age of 19 he'd be signing it at 20 according to the CBA because his birthday falls between September 16 and December 31.

He likely gets Hartford games on an ATO.

He'd burn off a year on his ELC if he played with the Rangers at all this season regardless of how many games. While he would technically be signing his contract at the age of 19 he'd be signing it at 20 according to the CBA because his birthday falls between September 16 and December 31.

He likely gets Hartford games on an ATO.

Is there a limit to games on an ATO? I think PTO is 25, but I can't find ATO.

Is there a limit to games on an ATO? I think PTO is 25, but I can't find ATO.

I don't think there is one. In most cases, these guys don't get more than 10 or so games. Kravtsov might be a rare case to get significant regular season and possible playoff time. Skjei was the last long ATO for the Rangers. 22 games.

I don't think there is one. In most cases, these guys don't get more than 10 or so games. Kravtsov might be a rare case to get significant regular season and possible playoff time. Skjei was the last long ATO for the Rangers. 22 games.

Ah, alright, that makes sense. That's the precedent for Kravtsov then.

Its probably irrelevant anyway. Aren't they supposed to have everyone back and go on another deep playoff run?

Right. They even added some additional scoring and defensive depth. They could probably go to the second or third round again. They're not a finals team barring some kind of trades. You also have to hope Krav doesn't get dealt to one of the powerhouses. I think SKA previously expressed interest.

You also have to hope Krav doesn't get dealt to one of the powerhouses. I think SKA previously expressed interest.

Maybe we should hopr the opposite. Going far in the AHL playoffs would be very good experience for the kid. No need for him to play on the Rangers at all this year and burn a year.

Maybe we should hopr the opposite. Going far in the AHL playoffs would be very good experience for the kid. No need for him to play on the Rangers at all this year and burn a year.

Why would you want him dealt to a team like SKA where he'd get less time and be over in Russia longer?

Why would you want him dealt to a team like SKA where he'd get less time and be over in Russia longer?

Start with the premise that there is no need for him to play for the Rangers this year and I'm not sure getting some games in Hartford late is better than getting more playoff experience against good teams in the KHL.

So, if Traktor is not among the better teams and they trade him to a team that may go the distance, that is better than a few games on a new team on the other side of the world.

He'll be here in the spring/summer of 2019 permanently. Let the kid be an 18 y/o living home (near family) in his native country for one last hockey season. He can focus on hockey and not a new language, getting acclimated, meeting new people, and all things that comes with a complete culture change.

Start with the premise that there is no need for him to play for the Rangers this year and I'm not sure getting some games in Hartford late is better than getting more playoff experience against good teams in the KHL.

So, if Traktor is not among the better teams and they trade him to a team that may go the distance, that is better than a few games on a new team on the other side of the world.

He'll be here in the spring/summer of 2019 permanently. Let the kid be an 18 y/o living home (near family) in his native country for one last hockey season. He can focus on hockey and not a new language, getting acclimated, meeting new people, and all things that comes with a complete culture change.

How is the experience valuable if he were unlikely to play? SKA, CSKA, etc. aren't going to use a 19-year-old in their top six the way Chelyabinsk should this season. It makes more sense to just get him over to Hartford where he can focus on the game. I don't think he cares about the lifestyle stuff. The kid already understands a good amount of English which is irrelevant to an extent. Panarin still uses a translator. He's doing just fine.

How is the experience valuable if he were unlikely to play? SKA, CSKA, etc. aren't going to use a 19-year-old in their top six the way Chelyabinsk should this season. It makes more sense to just get him over to Hartford where he can focus on the game. I don't think he cares about the lifestyle stuff. The kid already understands a good amount of English which is irrelevant to an extent. Panarin still uses a translator. He's doing just fine.

To simplify my point, a deep run in the KHL playoffs will be better for his overall development than 10 or so games on an established Hartford team halfway across the world.

Ideally Chelyabinsk is better, as many anticipate, and he gets a long playoff run and top minutes. If a top team trades for him, I doubt it will be to bury him on the bench. The chance to win minutes(prove himself) against the best competition, will reveal more about the player. Plus, it will provide another valuable experience w/o him needing to move halfway across the globe.

You are underestimating the short term distraction a permanent move from Russia to here will be for an 18 y/o. Not speaking the language, having a place, knowing anybody or the any surroundings is a lot to deal with initially.

Panarin was a full-on adult and seasoned player when he came over. He had a full off season to prepare and adjust. It is a bad comparison. Besides, the less he uses a translator the better.

Think of it this way. The Rangers view this kid as the 3rd best forward available in this strong draft and a better prospect than Wahlstrom, Bouchard and Dobson. That means this kid is may be our highest graded prospect/investment we develop. Let's not fuck him up the way Edm did with Yakapov. He was rushed over, it was admitted first hand.

We have a chance to model Kuz's development and we are proceeding that way. Let him stay the season in Russia, there is nothing to think about. When his KHL season is over, if he is healthy and 100% game, bring him over.

To simplify my point, a deep run in the KHL playoffs will be better for his overall development than 10 or so games on an established Hartford team halfway across the world.

Ideally Chelyabinsk is better, as many anticipate, and he gets a long playoff run and top minutes. If a top team trades for him, I doubt it will be to bury him on the bench. The chance to win minutes(prove himself) against the best competition, will reveal more about the player. Plus, it will provide another valuable experience w/o him needing to move halfway across the globe.

You are underestimating the short term distraction a permanent move from Russia to here will be for an 18 y/o. Not speaking the language, having a place, knowing anybody or the any surroundings is a lot to deal with initially.

Panarin was a full-on adult and seasoned player when he came over. He had a full off season to prepare and adjust. It is a bad comparison. Besides, the less he uses a translator the better.

Think of it this way. The Rangers view this kid as the 3rd best forward available in this strong draft and a better prospect than Wahlstrom, Bouchard and Dobson. That means this kid is may be our highest graded prospect/investment we develop. Let's not fuck him up the way Edm did with Yakapov. He was rushed over, it was admitted first hand.

We have a chance to model Kuz's development and we are proceeding that way. Let him stay the season in Russia, there is nothing to think about. When his KHL season is over, if he is healthy and 100% game, bring him over.

Yakapov came through the CHL.

Archived