• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

50-50 Raffle Etiquette

josh

You win 50/50 raffle at Charity event, you  

8 members have voted

1. 1. You win 50/50 raffle at Charity event, you

I mentioned something to a co-worker, saying I was not going to participate in the 50/50 because I didnt want to donate it. He looked at me like I have 3 heads. He had never heard of that before.

Ive always been taught, that for a charity event, you are expected to donate it towards the cause.

I mentioned something to a co-worker, saying I was not going to participate in the 50/50 because I didnt want to donate it. He looked at me like I have 3 heads. He had never heard of that before.

Ive always been taught, that for a charity event, you are expected to donate it towards the cause.

Then what's the point of the raffle, why not just collect donations?

If you don't understand how the two situations are quite different, I don't know what to tell you.

I really think it all depends on your initial thoughts when entering the 50/50. If you entered the charity 50/50 with true altruistic purposes, then I think you are absolved of any "need" to give more money to the charity.

My son's high school football program had the 50/50 discontinued by the principal because people who won always gave it back. Not sure if it was fixed. But been to fundraisers for injured cops and firemen and in one case a very sick teacher with small kids who were the beneficiary of the party, and they were "directed" and nobody had any problem with that. Kinda knew going in the 50/50 was another way to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived