• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

HBO's 'Sharp Objects'

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
Is the dollhouse the same house from the flashbacks?

I thought the dollhouse was their house. Is there another house I'm missing?

Also, I love how this show invokes supernatural elements without giving any evidence that those elements actually exist outside Camille's brain.

• 5 weeks later...

Eh, I was only so-so on it. Entertaining, but a lot of the confusing elements seemed like trickery more so than developing the plot. Even the post-credit scene obfuscated a key fact that you had to rewatch over and over and pause to be sure about (who else was involved in the murders).

The other issue I had was that most of the main and supporting characters were all competing in a "fucked up" Olympics. They're all really damaged people, but who's the most fucked up? So in that sense, it seemed almost soap opera-esque.

That's a lot of key complaints, but at the same time, Amy Adam's character was wonderfully complex, as was her mother, stepfather, along with her halfsister. I think ultimately, had they toned down the "everyone's severely damaged" but kept their family the same as they did, it could have had more contrast which would have played out more believeably.

I read one take that it wanted to be True Detective, but it ended up being True Detective 2. I would agree with that.

Eh, I was only so-so on it. Entertaining, but a lot of the confusing elements seemed like trickery more so than developing the plot. Even the post-credit scene obfuscated a key fact that you had to rewatch over and over and pause to be sure about (who else was involved in the murders).

The other issue I had was that most of the main and supporting characters were all competing in a "fucked up" Olympics. They're all really damaged people, but who's the most fucked up? So in that sense, it seemed almost soap opera-esque.

That's a lot of key complaints, but at the same time, Amy Adam's character was wonderfully complex, as was her mother, stepfather, along with her halfsister. I think ultimately, had they toned down the "everyone's severely damaged" but kept their family the same as they did, it could have had more contrast which would have played out more believeably.

I read one take that it wanted to be True Detective, but it ended up being True Detective 2. I would agree with that.

Agree but not nearly as bad as TD2.

Agree but not nearly as bad as TD2.

Yeah, that's probably fair. I enjoyed the show, but it's a tier down from the best of HBO was more my point.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived