Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What to do with The King?

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    Regardless if you think it has been warranted in the past or not his yelling. I don’t think there’s much of an argument that going forward with a rebuilding team that hank doesn’t need to reduce his outbursts. There are going to be kids trying to develop and learn. It’s not going to help to have a legend in hank shitting on them when they make a mistake at least not in public
    First off, the kids don’t need to be coddled. If they can’t handle a teammate saying something to them, then what is going to happen when a coach screams at them? They should be coming here knowing how to play their position. They are pros, and should be able to handle criticism, especially here in New York. If it’s not Hank crucifying them, it will be the coaches, the media and/or the fans.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    I did read it through, hence why I didnít mention the Staal line in my post. If it was an attempt at humor, it wasnít very good.
    Whelp the reps I got for it disagree.

Loosen up, dude. Everything doesn't suck.

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Whelp the reps I got for it disagree.

Loosen up, dude. Everything doesn't suck.
    I am loose, where did I say everything sucks?

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I would say...

Is the goaltending position as important as it was when Hank signed that contract? - No, not if Quinn can establish a defensive structure
    Did the Rangers over value the goaltending position with Hank's deal? - Yes
    Can a regular playoff caliber goalie be good enough to contend for a Stanley Cup? - Yes, but define "playoff calibre"
    Does this team need a World Class, top ranked goalie to win it all? - No
    Can our salary dollar be more wisely spent on a another position? - Yes

Having said all that, I don't think that Hank's cap number is problematic at this point. My only concern with Hank is that he needs to learn how to be successful playing 50, rather than 65 games. B/c he can still be very good at 38 (Luongo) but he's not going to be able to carry the load.
    We got a little off base for a bit, Future. LOL Sorry, I was busy screaming at Hank!

"Playoff caliber" - think good player, not great/world class...definitely not a scrub...Let's say similar to a Vanbiesbrouck.

The thing is I keep thinking we could get 3 pretty good players for the $12.5 million that Hank's tugging on that cap....definitely 2 excellent players....and that's fine right now, as you said in the fact that we're really not ready for prime time with this team. But I sure would like to see what we're going to do when we move that cash off the books.

Moderator Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    We got a little off base for a bit, Future. LOL Sorry, I was busy screaming at Hank!

"Playoff caliber" - think good player, not great/world class...definitely not a scrub...Let's say similar to a Vanbiesbrouck.

The thing is I keep thinking we could get 3 pretty good players for the $12.5 million that Hank's tugging on that cap....definitely 2 excellent players....and that's fine right now, as you said in the fact that we're really not ready for prime time with this team. But I sure would like to see what we're going to do when we move that cash off the books.
    Hank's cap hit is $8.5. A "playoff calibre" goalie is going to cost you, what, $6 million? Holtby's at $6.1 and MAF is $5.75 - I think that's what you mean by "playoff calibre." So really, the question is what are you going to do with the extra $2.5 that Henrik costs relative to them.

Unless you've got a goalie you signed as an RFA who doesn't have much of a track record (Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck), you're going to be paying $6m, easy, for a quality goalie, and that's only short term. So every team can say "we can get so many assets if we dump X contract," but for the Rangers, it's not about saving $8.5, it's the $2.5m that you're saving relative to goalies of Henrik's quality.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Hank's cap hit is $8.5. A "playoff calibre" goalie is going to cost you, what, $6 million? Holtby's at $6.1 and MAF is $5.75 - I think that's what you mean by "playoff calibre." So really, the question is what are you going to do with the extra $2.5 that Henrik costs relative to them.

Unless you've got a goalie you signed as an RFA who doesn't have much of a track record (Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck), you're going to be paying $6m, easy, for a quality goalie, and that's only short term. So every team can say "we can get so many assets if we dump X contract," but for the Rangers, it's not about saving $8.5, it's the $2.5m that you're saving relative to goalies of Henrik's quality.
    Hellebuyck just resigned. $6.166M AAV. BTW, at the same point in his career Hank signed for $6.8AAV.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    Hellebuyck just resigned. $6.166M AAV. BTW, at the same point in his career Hank signed for $6.8AAV.
    Years ago....

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Years ago....
    Yea, but at the same age, with more experience, and better numbers.

Yea, but Helleybuck played last year on the cheap contract.

Henrik was coming off back-to-back 70-start, 35-win seasons. Of course he got more.

Yea, but at the same age, with more experience, and better numbers.
    Hank was a year older, but both had played 3 seasons.

Hellebuyck - .914 sv%, 83 wins
    Hank - .917 sv%, 104 wins

Yea, but Helleybuck played last year on the cheap contract.

Henrik was coming off back-to-back 70-start, 35-win seasons. Of course he got more.
    I know, my point was Hank unlike 99% of goalies in the league played through his $6-7M contract at an elite level and earned another deal. Most goalies don't. Can't compare Hank's current deal to a guy signing as a RFA.

I know, my point was Hank unlike 99% of goalies in the league played through his $6-7M contract at an elite level and earned another deal. Most goalies don't. Can't compare Hank's current deal to a guy signing as a RFA.
    Oh, right. That's kind of what I was trying to get at.

So basically in retrospect, it really wasn't a "horrible" deal for the time...maybe a little ahead of its time, but for Hank who was absolutely World class, I suppose it was fitting.

One thing though is that he's most likely going to get absolutely pelted with shots this year. A defensive structure takes time to build, and the fact is we didn't have any defensive structure to begin with before this season....so this is all going to be new to these players. I can see us giving up 35-40 shots a game for the first 25-30 games.

Hank's gonna see more rubber than Goodyear.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    To me it wasnít just about quantity of shots last season, it was about quality. Rangerís defense was putrid, worst I have seen since before the lockout in my opinion. It was a perfect storm for bad goaltending.

And hey Hank had some bad games on his own as well there is no doubt about that but over all he was still solid. Iím not overly worried about Hank.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Į\_(ツ)_/Į BSBH Prospect
    you guys hear that henrik has one of the biggest hogs in the league??

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    you guys hear that henrik has one of the biggest hogs in the league??
    Lol, wasn't that in Avery's book?

It's why he's rarely gets beat 5-hole.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į BSBH Prospect
    Lol, wasn't that in Avery's book?

It's why he's rarely gets beat 5-hole.
    Yandle and Hayes confirmed it on spittin chiclets haha

Regards,

Patrick Bateman

Sent from my iPhone

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Itís good to be the king

Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    It’s good to be the king

Over 100 mil in the bank...
    A Lambo
    A Ranger legend
    ...and an 11 inch pipe

Just sayin', if mine was that big, my eyesight would be even worse than it is already!!!

Alright...this thread is headed off the tracks!!!

Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    You'd think he would be a better stick handler.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast