Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 162

Thread: What to do with The King?

  1. #121
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,591
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    I’m completely confused.

    You are saying it’s more acceptable to yell at coworkers in public than in private?

    And let’s get one thing straight....Lundy is not yelling at employees....these are coworkers

    The coach gets to yell at employees


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Not really. There is def a rank structure in sports. Hank and Kampfer are not equal coworkers.

  2. #122
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,070
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    Iím saying that your on Hank because he yelled at a coworker in public and that you would only do it in private. But the difference between your job and an athletes is that there job is public. When they are performing it, itís usually on TV and is always in front of a crowd, so where should he say something to a teammate?

    And again, you have never argued or said anything to a coworker over a mistake?
    Well i donít yell at employees....so letís scratch that.
    But i donít think you want a culture on a team where everyone gets to yell at everyone like children. There are hundreds of mistakes made in a Hockey game, itís how you react that makes the difference.

    Hanks character is close to beyond reproach. His work ethos, professionalism, work with the community and relationship with the fans. In fact itís hard to imagine a better ranger in the last 50 years.

    That being said, his random bursts during games at teammates is not excusable due to everything i mention above


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  3. #123
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,720
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    You could always address it after the game in the room.

    I do have to say it's remarkable...

    Torts yelled at Hank...fired
    Steps yelled at Hank...traded

    Hank yelled at:

    G...traded
    McD...traded
    Smith...demoted
    Staal...lost an eye


    Remarkable.
    So your saying that they were all traded because of Hank? Your wrong. Torts has an issue with the entire team, not just Hank. Girardi was bought out because of his play, Smith was demoted because of his play. And. Need some sort of proof to show that Step and McD were traded because they yelled at Hank. If you don’t have any proof, the your arguing for the sake of arguing here because there is zero reason to post anything like this.

  4. #124
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,720
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Well i don’t yell at employees....so let’s scratch that.
    But i don’t think you want a culture on a team where everyone gets to yell at everyone like children. There are hundreds of mistakes made in a Hockey game, it’s how you react that makes the difference.

    Hanks character is close to beyond reproach. His work ethos, professionalism, work with the community and relationship with the fans. In fact it’s hard to imagine a better ranger in the last 50 years.

    That being said, his random bursts during games at teammates is not excusable due to everything i mention above


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    But again, it’s in the context of his job. The guy gets ridiculed when he screws up, and rightfully so, but when another teammate is the cause or is constantly causing scoring chances, I have zero problem with him saying something to another player at that time. It’s not just Hank that does it either. It’s players in all sports. It happens in the NFL and MLB as well. Their office is on the field.

  5. #125
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,070
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    But again, itís in the context of his job. The guy gets ridiculed when he screws up, and rightfully so, but when another teammate is the cause or is constantly causing scoring chances, I have zero problem with him saying something to another player at that time. Itís not just Hank that does it either. Itís players in all sports. It happens in the NFL and MLB as well. Their office is on the field.
    So you are ok with players yelling at hank?
    And players yelling at each other?

    Fact is it would be non stop and look like 3 year olds fighting over leggos.

    Athletes throwing temper tantrums should not be encouraged


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  6. #126
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,720
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    So you are ok with players yelling at hank?
    And players yelling at each other?

    Fact is it would be non stop and look like 3 year olds fighting over leggos.

    Athletes throwing temper tantrums should not be encouraged


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    If Hank kept screwing up after being told something by a teammate, then sure. Again, it’s emotion that leads to this. I’d rather see them show some kind of emotion than none. And again, it’s not like it isn’t happening in all sports. What’s the difference between yelling at a teammate or fighting a teammate in practice/training camp? It’s all emotion.

  7. #127
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,591
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    So you are ok with players yelling at hank?
    And players yelling at each other?

    Fact is it would be non stop and look like 3 year olds fighting over leggos.

    Athletes throwing temper tantrums should not be encouraged


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    You said temper tantrums repeatedly now. Getting on a defender for constantly screening you and telling him to get his head out of his ass isn't a temper tantrum.

  8. #128
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,070
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Long live the King View Post
    You said temper tantrums repeatedly now. Getting on a defender for constantly screening you and telling him to get his head out of his ass isn't a temper tantrum.
    Well, it is seeing that itís not hanks job.

    We have coaches to adjust behavior and habits.
    Many times i see hank screaming at the wrong person.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  9. #129
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,591
    Rep Power
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Well, it is seeing that it’s not hanks job.

    We have coaches to adjust behavior and habits.
    Many times i see hank screaming at the wrong person.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Which is exactly NYR2711's point. Is Hank supposed wait until the next intermission to tell the coach, and then the coach waits till the next practice to address it? If you're playing shit defense the goalie is gonna say something. The longer you continue to do the same shit the more pissed he's gonna get.

    For all we know Hank did talk to Ruff and AV and nothing changed.

  10. #130
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,378
    Rep Power
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by NYR2711 View Post
    So your saying that they were all traded because of Hank? Your wrong. Torts has an issue with the entire team, not just Hank. Girardi was bought out because of his play, Smith was demoted because of his play. And. Need some sort of proof to show that Step and McD were traded because they yelled at Hank. If you donít have any proof, the your arguing for the sake of arguing here because there is zero reason to post anything like this.
    If you didn't bother to read the last line and see that I was joking, it shows me how little you pay attention to other people's posts, honestly.

  11. #131
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    77,378
    Rep Power
    532
    I think we can call this even by saying we all know there's an unwritten rule that you don't get fired for being an asshole if you're great at your job.

    Hank's no longer so good at his job that he can continue to be an asshole.

  12. #132
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,720
    Rep Power
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you didn't bother to read the last line and see that I was joking, it shows me how little you pay attention to other people's posts, honestly.
    I do actually read others posts, please donít assume things about me, that would be great.

  13. #133
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    585
    Rep Power
    13
    We've all been watching hockey for many years. When other goalies get scored on they may slam their stick, take a drink, shake their head while looking at the ice. Hank has a reputation for pointing fingers and it is just NOT a good look. I doesn't matter if he's emotional or being commited. It should not happen and especially on a regular basis. I thought the joke was funny.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  14. #134
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,812
    Rep Power
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think we can call this even by saying we all know there's an unwritten rule that you don't get fired for being an asshole if you're great at your job.

    Hank's no longer so good at his job that he can continue to be an asshole.
    To an extent.
    I think he's beyond that extent, though, where he will "get away with things" due to his career superiority and longevity.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  15. #135
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,812
    Rep Power
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    We've all been watching hockey for many years. When other goalies get scored on they may slam their stick, take a drink, shake their head while looking at the ice. Hank has a reputation for pointing fingers and it is just NOT a good look. I doesn't matter if he's emotional or being commited. It should not happen and especially on a regular basis. I thought the joke was funny.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Guys do this all the time, and not just goalies. Ever watch a time out?

    We've seen it more from Henrik because A, we watch him more, and b) he's been playing more/longer than most goalies.
    Roy, Hasek, Belfour, Smith, Smith, etc. Elite goalies tend to be hot heads. They're crazy and quirky, just like pitchers.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  16. #136
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck Head View Post
    Well i don’t yell at employees....so let’s scratch that.
    But i don’t think you want a culture on a team where everyone gets to yell at everyone like children. There are hundreds of mistakes made in a Hockey game, it’s how you react that makes the difference.

    Hanks character is close to beyond reproach. His work ethos, professionalism, work with the community and relationship with the fans. In fact it’s hard to imagine a better ranger in the last 50 years.

    That being said, his random bursts during games at teammates is not excusable due to everything i mention above
    These are tenants of good mgmt, some folks are not meant for that job.

    If I saw a manager working for me, yelling at coworkers and even underlings, it would be discussed in private, immediately. The conversation would probably start by saying that I'm not happy with the way you are managing the situation/personnel and notice you don't hear me yelling at you.

    Now if you add the fact that Hank is not charged with managing anybody, he should keep the yelling to a minimum.
    Last edited by Giacomin; 07-11-2018 at 06:06 PM.

  17. #137
    Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Puck Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    11,070
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomin View Post
    These are tenants of good mgmt, some folks are not meant for that job.

    If I saw a manager working for me, yelling at coworkers and even underlings, it would be discussed in private, immediately. The conversation would probably start by saying that I'm not happy with the way you are managing the situation/personnel and notice you don't hear me yelling at you.
    Same

    Iíve been through plenty of management training over the years and have spoken/attended many events across the states in regard to culture.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  18. #138
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    27,812
    Rep Power
    337
    You can’t compare the NHL to an office job.

    Compare it to soccer.
    Those goalies are the worst.
    NFL quarterbacks.
    Captains on basketball teams.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  19. #139
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,444
    Rep Power
    35
    Regardless if you think it has been warranted in the past or not his yelling. I don’t think there’s much of an argument that going forward with a rebuilding team that hank doesn’t need to reduce his outbursts. There are going to be kids trying to develop and learn. It’s not going to help to have a legend in hank shitting on them when they make a mistake at least not in public

  20. #140
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    3,560
    Rep Power
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    You can’t compare the NHL to an office job.

    Compare it to soccer.
    Those goalies are the worst.
    NFL quarterbacks.
    Captains on basketball teams.
    True, but you can aspire to optimal effective behavior.

    But sure, everything in context. The job of sports can be very emotional. Some guys need some emotional fire to perform better, some recoil from harsh (or poorly placed) criticism. There needs to be a balance. As a rule, it is the coaches who should be disciplinary. Screaming at a teammate during a game should be rare. Captains and maybe goalies and QB's may get a little latitude. However, did Roger Staubach, Montana, Aikman, Manning, Rodgers, etc ever lose their temper at a teammate, on the field? Were they not great leaders? Brady screamed at his QB coach a couple of times and it was national news.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •