• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Pet Peeves

josh

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
When after eight years, people still don't understand that a pet peeve isn't something generally disliked or considered annoying, but something you dislike or consider annoying that most others wouldn't. ?\_(ツ)_/?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not sure that's accurate. I always thought it was things that people do, or things that happen often, that annoy you. Not so much leaning towards things MOST people don't mind.

I'm not sure that's accurate. I always thought it was things that people do, or things that happen often, that annoy you. Not so much leaning towards things MOST people don't mind.

It's not really inaccurate either, though. Fully understanding that dictionaries are descriptive (not prescriptive), Google provided this:

something that a particular person finds especially annoying.

The qualifier here being especially. That, to me, signifies that it's not really some universally annoying thing like traffic, but something much more personal, if not bordering on odd. Like my inability to touch cotton balls because the sound/feeling of them "crunching" between my fingers makes me gag. I literally gagged thinking about it.

People telling me the same story more than once on different occasions...and not the kind of stories that are "reminiscent of good times"...no, the kind of story that A) didn't involve you and/or B) is a boring story. For whatever reason they think it's a great story so they tell everyone they know. Since they've told it so many times they seemingly forget who they have told the story to, and wind up telling it multiple times to the same people.

People telling me the same story more than once on different occasions...and not the kind of stories that are "reminiscent of good times"...no, the kind of story that A) didn't involve you and/or B) is a boring story. For whatever reason they think it's a great story so they tell everyone they know. Since they've told it so many times they seemingly forget who they have told the story to, and wind up telling it multiple times to the same people.

My wife. Every day.

Good one, this reminds me of when fans refer to players by their first name, drives me nuts.
Yeah, I'm with you on that one, too. Unless it's a nickname, like Hank. Seeing someone write "I think Brady will play well with Kevin," is just odd.

Add to this, throwing some arbitrary adjective like their position in front of it.

Defenseman Gilmour

Winger Spooner

WTF does that normally?

People who harp on people who say we when referring to the team they root for. Don't have an issue with that.

But agreed on calling players by first name...that's just weird.

Can't say I've seen the position prefacing the player's name before, but I would consider that odd too.