Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: Pet Peeves

  1. #21
    Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Vodka Drunkenski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    14,693
    Rep Power
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you on that one, too. Unless it's a nickname, like Hank. Seeing someone write "I think Brady will play well with Kevin," is just odd.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Agreed
    Hidden Content

    Let's Go Rangers!

  2. #22
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,663
    Rep Power
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    Good one, this reminds me of when fans refer to players by their first name, drives me nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yeah, I'm with you on that one, too. Unless it's a nickname, like Hank. Seeing someone write "I think Brady will play well with Kevin," is just odd.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Add to this, throwing some arbitrary adjective like their position in front of it.

    Defenseman Gilmour
    Winger Spooner

    WTF does that normally?

  3. #23
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    675
    Rep Power
    28
    People who harp on people who say we when referring to the team they root for. Don't have an issue with that.

    But agreed on calling players by first name...that's just weird.

    Can't say I've seen the position prefacing the player's name before, but I would consider that odd too.

  4. #24
    Keep your fkin head up BSBH Rookie
    Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,903
    Rep Power
    325
    People who use the word system like they know what they’re talking about. It’s like me trying to understand 3 or more words in a Phil rant.
    Hidden Content
    $1080 and counting

  5. #25
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,576
    Rep Power
    421
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  6. #26
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ BSBH Prospect
    Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,100
    Rep Power
    213
    Phil imagining you in a contentious conference call makes me laugh
    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

    Regards,

    Patrick Bateman

    Sent from my iPhone

  7. #27
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,430
    Rep Power
    46
    Oh god conference calls are the absolute worst


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  8. #28
    Senior Member Midget Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    2,634
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by So Nashty View Post
    Oh god conference calls are the absolute worst


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Dreadful can't stand them
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  9. #29
    Senior Member Squirt Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    287
    Rep Power
    6
    Unless it's 1-800-BIG-TITS

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,691
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Referencing sports teams as "we."


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Why is that weird? We fans pay to watch and to be a part of the organization/club, why shouldn't we call it we? Players and coaches comes and goes (and get payed), we fans use our own money to support and watch the team + we stay forever.

  11. #31
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,663
    Rep Power
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    Why is that weird? We fans pay to watch and to be a part of the organization/club, why shouldn't we call it we? Players and coaches comes and goes (and get payed), we fans use our own money to support and watch the team + we stay forever.
    Because you're not ON the team.

    "We need to shoot more."

    Well, you can't. So there's not a "we". It's a "they".

  12. #32
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,691
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Because you're not ON the team.

    "We need to shoot more."

    Well, you can't. So there's not a "we". It's a "they".
    So the same goes for coaches and GMs?

    Quinn: "We need to shoot the puck more and go to the dirty areas"
    Hayes: "Ehm, sorry coach. You can't do anything. Please refer to the team as "you"".

  13. #33
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    75,663
    Rep Power
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    So the same goes for coaches and GMs?

    Quinn: "We need to shoot the puck more and go to the dirty areas"
    Hayes: "Ehm, sorry coach. You can't do anything. Please refer to the team as "you"".
    Yea, those are exactly alike. It's this type of thinking that just doesn't even warrant a reply.

  14. #34
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,576
    Rep Power
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    So the same goes for coaches and GMs?

    Quinn: "We need to shoot the puck more and go to the dirty areas"
    Hayes: "Ehm, sorry coach. You can't do anything. Please refer to the team as "you"".
    The coach is directly responsible for the effects on the ice, so no. Ditto the GM, who brings in players for the coach to use. They both have viable imprints. Fans don't. At all. They're purely spectators.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  15. #35
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,691
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yea, those are exactly alike. It's this type of thinking that just doesn't even warrant a reply.
    Well, I replied to your argument. I can't say "we need to shoot more" because Im not on the ice and cant shoot, so if that's your only argument, the same goes for coaches.

    [B]
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    The coach is directly responsible for the effects on the ice, so no. Ditto the GM, who brings in players for the coach to use. They both have viable imprints. Fans don't. At all. They're purely spectators.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Ofcourse fans have. Do you think there would be a NYR if 0 people watched the game and not a single person in the arena? We(the fans) pay for everything. No us, no NYR, no hockey. We're all a part of this, so I don't see a problem with saying "we" when talking about something I've invested a helluva lot money and time in.

  16. #36
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,576
    Rep Power
    421
    I understand why fans want to say we. They feel a part of it. But they're the least connected, and least relevant to what happens on the ice. From a pragmatic perspective, it's a reach to suggest that we, not they, is the proper verbiage. For exactly that reason. They have no literal affect. Only a domimo, like protesters hoping to exact change by booing or not buying tickets, etc.

    Again, I understand why fans say it. I just don't agree they should. Or should I say we?


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  17. #37
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,691
    Rep Power
    21
    We'll just have to agree to disagree.

    In Norway (especially when it comes to soccer(FOOTBALL)) everyone says "we" when talking about their favourite team, so I guess you just say what you're used to.


    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c6/b6...9e61f162ef.jpg (dont know how to post pictures)

  18. #38
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,576
    Rep Power
    421
    Yeah, again, it's why it's a pet peeve for me. I read the terms literally, so when I see "we," the first thought in my head is "really? Because you're on the team?"


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  19. #39
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,691
    Rep Power
    21
    I get what you're saying.

    It's always funny with those who say "we" when its something positive and "they" when something negative. "Hell Yeah, we won 5-0" then the next game "Fuck this team, they suck".

  20. #40
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,576
    Rep Power
    421
    Ha! Now I want to keep an eye on that this season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •