• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

SJS Re-Sign F Tomas Hertl to 4-Year/$22.5M Extension; $5.625M AAV

Phil

That game was on a Saturday afternoon and I was pissed not one Ranger went over to either rub a glove in his face or start jawing at him. I remember the Sharks kept him off the ice for the rest of the game.

Wasnt it a Sunday or Monday night, on the west coast?

I remember staying up really late to watch.

I wouldn't give Kevin Hayes that contract, and he's better than Hertl.

People need to realise that with the cap going up as much as it has, players will be paid more than before.

This is a 24 y/old guy who can play center and with potenial to be a 60+ point player. He was also halfway beastmode in the playoffs before they got eliminated (6 goals, 9p in 10 games).

People need to realise that with the cap going up as much as it has, players will be paid more than before.

This is a 24 y/old guy who can play center and with potenial to be a 60+ point player. He was also halfway beastmode in the playoffs before they got eliminated (6 goals, 9p in 10 games).

Who said I don't realize that? The cap increased by 6%.

Based on a 5.625 mill aav, the amount under the previous cap would have been 5.307 mill aav, and it is still not what I would pay either of these guys. The Sharks had most of the leverage....who knows what they are thinking.

Probably just that they locked him up for his prime years and I believe bought a year of UFA status and are banking on him taking the next step up from the 46 points and 22 goals he scored last year...

This is not a bad contract.

that moves Hayes up to 7m range. fan fuckin tastic.

Didn't he ask for 5.5 according to reports. Raising your ask a couple of weeks later would be bad form.

The Rangers should have worked to get it done before FA, supposedly they've been talking. Get er done.

Hertl played well last year, not just offensively. He's a good 24 y/o with more upside.

Probably just that they locked him up for his prime years and I believe bought a year of UFA status and are banking on him taking the next step up from the 46 points and 22 goals he scored last year...

Its in the danger zone

The Sharks are in a position where perhaps they have to gamble. They are an aging team who needs to keep their players to have a shot now. But the odds are against them if their expectations are for a player who has 4-5 seasons under his belt, to suddenly morph into more than what his production says he is. Similarly to Hayes, he has seen his ice time increase without an increase in point production.

The Sharks are in a position where perhaps they have to gamble. They are an aging team who needs to keep their players to have a shot now. But the odds are against them if their expectations are for a player who has 4-5 seasons under his belt, to suddenly morph into more than what his production says he is. Similarly to Hayes, he has seen his ice time increase without an increase in point production.
He's worth 5 in the market and if, indeed, they bought a year of UFA...that's the extra 600k and change.

He doesn't need to improve for this contract to be fair. They didn't get Tavares, so this contract isn't likely to hurt unless he regresses.

He's worth 5 in the market and if, indeed, they bought a year of UFA...that's the extra 600k and change.

He doesn't need to improve for this contract to be fair. They didn't get Tavares, so this contract isn't likely to hurt unless he regresses.

Yes he does. They had the leverage. They chose to gamble that he would bring more to the table. If he doesn't, he's just another overpaid 40 point 3rd line winger.

Yes he does. They had the leverage. They chose to gamble that he would bring more to the table. If he doesn't, he's just another overpaid 40 point 3rd line winger.
Nah. I think you need to look around the league at what 45 point, 20+ goal scorers get.

He's also a second liner, not a third, and plays on the #1 PP unit.

Also...again...they bought a year of free agency from him.

Nice write up here: https://www.fearthefin.com/2018/7/2/17528568/san-jose-sharks-re-sign-tomas-hertl-to-4-year-deal-2018-nhl-free-agency

He'll be 25 when the season starts. Never understood people saying, "[insert player here] has been in the league 4 years. He is what he is." Look at the Sedin twins, Brayden Schenn, Couturier, Marchand, Voracek, Wheeler. There are tons of guys that hover around 40-50 points in their early 20's before jumping to 60-70+ points in their late 20's.

Watch our very own Kreider and Zibanejad this year...

He'll be 25 when the season starts. Never understood people saying, "[insert player here] has been in the league 4 years. He is what he is." Look at the Sedin twins, Brayden Schenn, Couturier, Marchand, Voracek, Wheeler. There are tons of guys that hover around 40-50 points in their early 20's before jumping to 60-70+ points in their late 20's.

Watch our very own Kreider and Zibanejad this year...

Absolutely, good examples and there are plenty. Same goes for defenders. Besides, this deal locks up years 25, 26, 27 and 28. I'd rather lock him up those 4 years than lose this player in his prime. Probably more valuable now, if they want to trade down the road.

Archived