Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: SJS Re-Sign F Tomas Hertl to 4-Year/$22.5M Extension; $5.625M AAV

  1. #1
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,707
    Rep Power
    406

    SJS Re-Sign F Tomas Hertl to 4-Year/$22.5M Extension; $5.625M AAV

    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    83,707
    Rep Power
    406
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #3
    Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,536
    Rep Power
    19
    Was sure this dude would be a stud after he scored that between the legs goal against us in 2013(?). He scored 4 that game didn't he?

    Didn't live up to the hype, but scored 20+ goals last year, so I guess the deal is fine.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,053
    Rep Power
    37
    he ran Biron right to the rocking chair.
    Acqua in bocca

  5. #5
    Senior Member Bantam Division paddynyc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    2,489
    Rep Power
    14
    That game was on a Saturday afternoon and I was pissed not one Ranger went over to either rub a glove in his face or start jawing at him. I remember the Sharks kept him off the ice for the rest of the game.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

  6. #6
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    that moves Hayes up to 7m range. fan fuckin tastic.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  7. #7
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    That game was on a Saturday afternoon and I was pissed not one Ranger went over to either rub a glove in his face or start jawing at him. I remember the Sharks kept him off the ice for the rest of the game.
    Wasnt it a Sunday or Monday night, on the west coast?

    I remember staying up really late to watch.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  8. #8
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,980
    Rep Power
    481
    It was a night game

  9. #9
    Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    13
    I wouldn't give Kevin Hayes that contract, and he's better than Hertl.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,536
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    I wouldn't give Kevin Hayes that contract, and he's better than Hertl.
    People need to realise that with the cap going up as much as it has, players will be paid more than before.

    This is a 24 y/old guy who can play center and with potenial to be a 60+ point player. He was also halfway beastmode in the playoffs before they got eliminated (6 goals, 9p in 10 games).

  11. #11
    Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    People need to realise that with the cap going up as much as it has, players will be paid more than before.

    This is a 24 y/old guy who can play center and with potenial to be a 60+ point player. He was also halfway beastmode in the playoffs before they got eliminated (6 goals, 9p in 10 games).
    Who said I don't realize that? The cap increased by 6%.

    Based on a 5.625 mill aav, the amount under the previous cap would have been 5.307 mill aav, and it is still not what I would pay either of these guys. The Sharks had most of the leverage....who knows what they are thinking.

  12. #12
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,980
    Rep Power
    481
    Probably just that they locked him up for his prime years and I believe bought a year of UFA status and are banking on him taking the next step up from the 46 points and 22 goals he scored last year...

    This is not a bad contract.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Giacomin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,979
    Rep Power
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    that moves Hayes up to 7m range. fan fuckin tastic.
    Didn't he ask for 5.5 according to reports. Raising your ask a couple of weeks later would be bad form.

    The Rangers should have worked to get it done before FA, supposedly they've been talking. Get er done.

    Hertl played well last year, not just offensively. He's a good 24 y/o with more upside.

  14. #14
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24,354
    Rep Power
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Probably just that they locked him up for his prime years and I believe bought a year of UFA status and are banking on him taking the next step up from the 46 points and 22 goals he scored last year...

    This is not a bad contract.
    Its in the danger zone
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  15. #15
    Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Probably just that they locked him up for his prime years and I believe bought a year of UFA status and are banking on him taking the next step up from the 46 points and 22 goals he scored last year...

    This is not a bad contract.
    The Sharks are in a position where perhaps they have to gamble. They are an aging team who needs to keep their players to have a shot now. But the odds are against them if their expectations are for a player who has 4-5 seasons under his belt, to suddenly morph into more than what his production says he is. Similarly to Hayes, he has seen his ice time increase without an increase in point production.

  16. #16
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,980
    Rep Power
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    The Sharks are in a position where perhaps they have to gamble. They are an aging team who needs to keep their players to have a shot now. But the odds are against them if their expectations are for a player who has 4-5 seasons under his belt, to suddenly morph into more than what his production says he is. Similarly to Hayes, he has seen his ice time increase without an increase in point production.
    He's worth 5 in the market and if, indeed, they bought a year of UFA...that's the extra 600k and change.

    He doesn't need to improve for this contract to be fair. They didn't get Tavares, so this contract isn't likely to hurt unless he regresses.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    He's worth 5 in the market and if, indeed, they bought a year of UFA...that's the extra 600k and change.

    He doesn't need to improve for this contract to be fair. They didn't get Tavares, so this contract isn't likely to hurt unless he regresses.
    Yes he does. They had the leverage. They chose to gamble that he would bring more to the table. If he doesn't, he's just another overpaid 40 point 3rd line winger.

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    74,980
    Rep Power
    481
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    Yes he does. They had the leverage. They chose to gamble that he would bring more to the table. If he doesn't, he's just another overpaid 40 point 3rd line winger.
    Nah. I think you need to look around the league at what 45 point, 20+ goal scorers get.

    He's also a second liner, not a third, and plays on the #1 PP unit.

    Also...again...they bought a year of free agency from him.

    Nice write up here: https://www.fearthefin.com/2018/7/2/...hl-free-agency

  19. #19
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Long live the King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,113
    Rep Power
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by rmc51 View Post
    The Sharks are in a position where perhaps they have to gamble. They are an aging team who needs to keep their players to have a shot now. But the odds are against them if their expectations are for a player who has 4-5 seasons under his belt, to suddenly morph into more than what his production says he is. Similarly to Hayes, he has seen his ice time increase without an increase in point production.
    He'll be 25 when the season starts. Never understood people saying, "[Insert player here] has been in the league 4 years. He is what he is." Look at the Sedin twins, Brayden Schenn, Couturier, Marchand, Voracek, Wheeler. There are tons of guys that hover around 40-50 points in their early 20's before jumping to 60-70+ points in their late 20's.

    Watch our very own Kreider and Zibanejad this year...

  20. #20
    Senior Member Squirt Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    437
    Rep Power
    13
    Paying UFA value for an RFA is not good business in my mind. Good luck to the Sharks. I hope this is not used in the Hayes discussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •