Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: Rangers Re-Sign F Vladislav Namestnikov to 2-Year/$8M Extension; $4M AAV

  1. #61
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Namestnikov is, in a lot of ways, the exact kind of player you want at his price tag on a rebuilding team entering year one. He's a work ethic prototype, even if the points won't accumulate the way they did running shotgun to Kucherov and Stamkos. And he's ultimately an asset to be flipped, either this year or next before he's UFA eligible. In the interim he can give you great effort, if not good results, which can hopefully have a spillover effect on the young pups.
    I think your point is a very good one, if not a little sad one.

    Full disclosure FWIW — assuming it was mandatory that we had to trade Miller (and I was not "down with that" idea), I was nevertheless immediately pleased with what we got in the trade, based on what I''d seen of Namestnikov previously, which was not much. To this day I am wondering how much was Miller traded because of AV's ass-hattery or because of Miller's ass-hattery? And how much does the ass-hattery matter considering how well Miller contributed in the playoffs on the Tampa top line? But that's grit and tenacity lost and we have to move on.

    But after his initial goal scoring in the first game or two, it seemed like Namestnikov fell off a cliff; a really disappointing finish to the season compared with Spooner.

    But I did my little bit of research and I reopened my mind to the possibility that we are getting a player with some good upside. I just hope the players around him are talented enough and flourish, too.

    Your point about him becoming an asset to be flipped. I'm sure it's true, I just hate-hate-hate looking at things that sanguinely before we've even had dance around the ballroom. But it is what it is and, of course, you are right, that it is most likely the reality down the road apiece.

    I guess I have to remember to get unsentimental and remember hockey is a business and I better beware of getting attached to some players, even if I wind up taking a liking to them.

    That said, I read your article on Blueshirt Banter I think, in which you opined that NHL's free agency system is broken. The article was more centered on something else, and that seemed to be a side-theme, but I hope you will do a soup-to-nuts piece here on why you think it's broken and what can be done to fix it. I can't put my finger on the provisions of the NHL byelaws that are "fekking it up" specifically, but when I see so many players of youthful value becoming RFAs, and so few of them ever actually moving, I get cranky cranky cranky. It's like that sliver of hope is a mirage.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 07-25-2018 at 04:16 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  2. #62
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Respecttheblue View Post
    I think your point is a very good one, if not a little sad one.

    Full disclosure FWIW — assuming it was mandatory that we had to trade Miller (and I was not "down with that" idea), I was nevertheless immediately pleased with what we got in the trade, based on what I''d seen of Namestnikov previously, which was not much. To this day I am wondering how much was Miller traded because of AV's ass-hattery or because of Miller's ass-hattery? And how much does the ass-hattery matter considering how well Miller contributed in the playoffs on the Tampa top line? But that's grit and tenacity lost and we have to move on.

    But after his initial goal scoring in the first game or two, it seemed like Namestnikov fell off a cliff; a really disappointing finish to the season compared with Spooner.

    But I did my little bit of research and I reopened my mind to the possibility that we are getting a player with some good upside. I just hope the players around him are talented enough and flourish, too.

    Your point about him becoming an asset to be flipped. I'm sure it's true, I just hate-hate-hate looking at things that sanguinely before we've even had dance around the ballroom. But it is what it is and, of course, you are right, that it is most likely the reality down the road apiece.

    I guess I have to remember to get unsentimental and remember hockey is a business and I better beware of getting attached to some players, even if I wind up taking a liking to them.

    That said, I read your article on Blueshirt Banter I think, in which you opined that NHL's free agency system is broken. The article was more centered on something else, and that seemed to be a side-theme, but I hope you will do a soup-to-nuts piece here on why you think it's broken and what can be done to fix it. I can't put my finger on the provisions of the NHL byelaws that are "fekking it up" specifically, but when I see so many players of youthful value becoming RFAs, and so few of them ever actually moving, I get cranky cranky cranky. It's like that sliver of hope is a mirage.
    That was Tom's article. I spoke to it in my last piece, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  3. #63
    a.k.a.Phildagoalie Junior Division
    Respecttheblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    N.Y.
    Posts
    9,687
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
    I like this kid, Blue. He has talent...he seems to have some heart too....let's see what he's got this year. I'm very curious to see a lot of these guys this season.
    Yes Oz. The talent is there.

    Do we have -- or can we put the right people around him? ... becomes the question for me. I'm not sure we have the players to bring out the best in him on a second line, say. And I'd hate to convert him to RW (although he does shoot lefty, which I like on the RW). Kreider seems like a natch, but Kreider is probably more likely to see time with Zibs and Buch.

    This kid does best with strong finishers on his line, it seems. But what we have left — Vesey, Hayes, Fast, Zuccarello (did I forget anyone?) -- they all have to become better shoot-first players to make it work, or we'll be seeing passing "till the cows come home;" till the ice runs out; and till the goalie is completely unsurprised; and the angle too oblique for shyte to work. (I leave Spooner off that list as he's a passing center, IMO and not my first choice for Names line, but who knows, maybe that works?) (I also leave Chytil and Andersson off that list as they are centers and I didn't think they'd be a good first choice, but who knows maybe Chytil?)

    But that procrastination, extra pass, squandering of the element of time and surprise, is a general malaise, even an acute sickness on this team that I hope Quinn is well aware of and addresses. Because it makes for unwatchable hockey and lost games, IMO.
    Last edited by Respecttheblue; 07-25-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    If n ya gots jowls, they might as well be furry ones.

  4. #64
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Ozzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Suffolk County, NY
    Posts
    608
    Rep Power
    22
    I think you guys are right on the money, and Phil has the right idea as far as what's most likely going to happen. For the kid's sake I really hope we find some good complimentary players for him to work with. Spooner may just work...sometimes it's the most unlikely candidates that just click. But I agree with Phil that we're most likely going to be flipping this kid come a deadline somewhere along the line. We could get a really good return if we can get a solid year out of him.

  5. #65
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Namestnikov is, in a lot of ways, the exact kind of player you want at his price tag on a rebuilding team entering year one. He's a work ethic prototype, even if the points won't accumulate the way they did running shotgun to Kucherov and Stamkos. And he's ultimately an asset to be flipped, either this year or next before he's UFA eligible. In the interim he can give you great effort, if not good results, which can hopefully have a spillover effect on the young pups.
    I'd agree, if we knew he was an effort guy. He didn't give much after that first 4-5 games.

  6. #66
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    417
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'd agree, if we knew he was an effort guy. He didn't give much after that first 4-5 games.
    I'm talking about on paper, not the small sample size of games he played here, necessarily. He was certainly physical with the Lightning.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  7. #67
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    133
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I'm talking about on paper, not the small sample size of games he played here, necessarily. He was certainly physical with the Lightning.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    I guess. But things were always going well when he was in Tampa. Granted it's only 19 games, but he folded when things were going poorly. What happens if the Rangers are clearly a bad team, with no playoff hopes, in December? Is he going to pack it in again after 30 games?

    I'm not a fan of guys whose effort fades when things aren't going well - frontrunners, if you will. And, small sample or not, that's exactly what he did last year, so I don't have a lot of hope that he isn't that type of player in general.

  8. #68
    If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    84,108
    Rep Power
    417
    I'm with you all the way. That's why I referred to him as a prototype. I don't know if it'll work out or not. But he has the natural build to be a valuable interim hockey player.


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi


    "Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

    - Christopher Hitchens

  9. #69
    Senior Member Junior Division
    The Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,111
    Rep Power
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I guess. But things were always going well when he was in Tampa. Granted it's only 19 games, but he folded when things were going poorly. What happens if the Rangers are clearly a bad team, with no playoff hopes, in December? Is he going to pack it in again after 30 games?

    I'm not a fan of guys whose effort fades when things aren't going well - frontrunners, if you will. And, small sample or not, that's exactly what he did last year, so I don't have a lot of hope that he isn't that type of player in general.
    That's where I'm at with him. I expected a bit more from the guy. I understand the situation sucking for him to go from first to worst. But when Spooner was playing like his career was given another chance, while coming from a similar situation (playoff team with high expectations).... It just soured me on Namestnikov.

    I do think the Rangers will try to get as much out of him as they can. I feel he will get tons of ice time and special teams roles on both the PK and PP. They will find the best use for him, in hoping he ups his trade value, or more likely to just be a stop gap with the hope he becomes the top six forward they need going forward. They have to. They don't have all that much stocked up at forward as far as prospects go. Giving him and maybe Spooner big roles are pretty much their only options.

    He's getting a chance. New clean slate for everyone. Its all wait and see from here out.

  10. #70
    Senior Member Mite Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    5
    Arbitration is looming. Skjei July 31st, Hayes Aug 2nd, Spooner Aug 4th. We should know a little better what the roster will look like within a week. It's sign or trade, right? I can't imagine they'll let it go to arbitration because the players may benefit monetarily in the short run. ?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  11. #71
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    515
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    Arbitration is looming. Skjei July 31st, Hayes Aug 2nd, Spooner Aug 4th. We should know a little better what the roster will look like within a week. It's sign or trade, right? I can't imagine they'll let it go to arbitration because the players may benefit monetarily in the short run. ?

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    They are in the driver's seat with Skjei as they have 3 more years of RFA control regardless of arbitration or not. I don't think you will see a trade there regardless of what happens. My guess is they are talking long term, but if they can't agree you will likely see a 2 year deal before it goes to arbitration. Skjei gets the benefit of having 2 years guaranteed, and the Rangers get the benefit of still having RFA control at the end of it.

    Hayes/Spooner will be UFA eligible after a 1 year arbitration contract, so what happens with those guys is more telling about what the Rangers plan to do with them - in particular Hayes. I have to think it's either long term or trade for Kevin Hayes. They may not care about Spooner going to arbitration. Not sure they want him on more than a 1 year "show me" type deal anyway.

  12. #72
    Senior Member Mite Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    170
    Rep Power
    5
    I was just thinking of the Trouba deal, which sucked for the club. You basically have 3 unknowns in the arbitors, so it's better to sign or trade, period.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  13. #73
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,619
    Rep Power
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by CBrowningPI View Post
    I was just thinking of the Trouba deal, which sucked for the club. You basically have 3 unknowns in the arbitors, so it's better to sign or trade, period.

    Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Disagree. Arbitration almost always splits the difference between the club and the player. They almost always deal out fair market value. It's an unhealthy process for the team and the player relationship but often times the parties come to an agreement the day of the hearing. There would be no time to make a trade, nor would it benefit the team in anyway. Trouba can play his year out and the team can easily move or resign him this season if they have to. RFA status exists for a reason and it's beneficial, mostly in the team's favor.
    GORTON 2020

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •