Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rangers Sign D Fredrik Claesson to 1-Year/700K Contract

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Just in the last few years, they brought in Dion Phaneuf, traded Mike Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker, and traded Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows, who they just bought out. They're no Montréal, but I've got a lot of questions.
    Can't really blame them for Hoffman...

Deleted Midget Division
    Just in the last few years, they brought in Dion Phaneuf, traded Mike Hoffman for Mikkel Boedker, and traded Jonathan Dahlen for Alex Burrows, who they just bought out. They're no Montréal, but I've got a lot of questions.
    But theoretically, even if Ottawa are and at evaluating, wouldn't another team who is good at fancy stats or their own evaluating metrics be willing to give him more term or money if he deserved it?

Not trying to.start a fight, genuinely curious.

If you ain't first, you're last! BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Can't really blame them for Hoffman...
    For trading him for Boedker instead of to whoever was willing to actually pay in assets? Sure can.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"I've always said, I'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a kitty cat."
    - Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever
    you think you'e bound to be okay, because you're in the safely moral majority."

- Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by torontonyr View Post
    But theoretically, even if Ottawa are and at evaluating, wouldn't another team who is good at fancy stats or their own evaluating metrics be willing to give him more term or money if he deserved it?

Not trying to.start a fight, genuinely curious.
    Who, Claesson? I'm not saying they're wrong for walking away from him. I honestly don't know. I'm saying I'm not appealing to their authority on evaluation matters.

Hidden Content

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

"Don't take refuge in the false security of consensus, and the feeling that whatever

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    For trading him for Boedker instead of to whoever was willing to actually pay in assets? Sure can.

Hoffman had very little value at that point and we have no idea what other deals were presented to him (because we have to assume the intent was to ship him west)

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Don't forget trading Kyle Turris, Shane Bowers (who you drafted in the first round), a 1st round pick, and a 3rd round pick for Matt Duchene. Duchene scored a whole 7 points more than Turris after the trade.

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    Hoffman had very little value at that point and we have no idea what other deals were presented to him (because we have to assume the intent was to ship him west)
    The reporting I saw said that Florida balked at Ottawa's asking price for Hoffman. So presumably Ottawa was asking for more than the 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks that San Jose eventually got from Florida. Perhaps they were asking for a premium to keep him in the East, but that's stupid when you're a team as bad as Ottawa will be this season. They don't have peers that are in the playoff hunt, their concern is finishing as low as possible...so that they can give Colorado the highest draft pick possible.

Seriously, no one should be defending Ottawa's management on any decision made in the past calendar year or moving forward. It's all suspect.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    The reporting I saw said that Florida balked at Ottawa's asking price for Hoffman. So presumably Ottawa was asking for more than the 2nd, 4th and 5th round picks that San Jose eventually got from Florida. Perhaps they were asking for a premium to keep him in the East, but that's stupid when you're a team as bad as Ottawa will be this season. They don't have peers that are in the playoff hunt, their concern is finishing as low as possible...so that they can give Colorado the highest draft pick possible.

Seriously, no one should be defending Ottawa's management on any decision made in the past calendar year or moving forward. It's all suspect.
    I'm specifically talking about Hoffman, who they were bent over the barrel with.

They refused to trade him in the division. They willingly limited their return and rejected presumably the same offer Florida made to San Jose for him, CHOOSING to take Boedkker instead. That's just not smart.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    They refused to trade him in the division. They willingly limited their return and rejected presumably the same offer Florida made to San Jose for him, CHOOSING to take Boedkker instead. That's just not smart.

That's not the reporting I saw. What I saw was that the wanted something else/more from Florida in a deal. So it is possible that for Ottawa:

Boedkker > 2nd, 4th, 5th

That's problematic in it's own way. Or perhaps they were requiring Florida to pay significantly more for Hoffman than they did for San Jose because they wanted a premium to keep him in division. Equally as problematic.
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” ― Neil Gaiman,

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Ottawa wanted players on the books, and Hoffman in the WC.
    They forgot to include a clause saying he could not be traded back into the EC, which was their mistake.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanJesus View Post
    That's not the reporting I saw. What I saw was that the wanted something else/more from Florida in a deal. So it is possible that for Ottawa:

Boedkker > 2nd, 4th, 5th

That's problematic in it's own way. Or perhaps they were requiring Florida to pay significantly more for Hoffman than they did for San Jose because they wanted a premium to keep him in division. Equally as problematic.
    Gotcha. But, yeah, the issue is still their fundamental choice to take less rather than more just to send him to the West.

Hidden Content

- John Tortorella

- Dean Lombardi

- Christopher Hitchens

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect

Senior Member Mite Division CBrowningPI's Avatar
    This signing is total win/win. He's 25, knows Zib,Lias and plays a physical game. There was definitely a void left when Holden/Miller left as far as physical play.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    1 year/700K???

I figure if this guy can't play , he can always be the stick boy....he's 25, what the hell...why not for one year? He's big, maybe he can fight a little or at least stick up for a younger player. If not, we can always use him to park cars or sell cotton candy up in the 400's.

Senior Member Junior Division

I mean, they HAD to deal Hoffman at any cost. His worth is extremely low considering reports that most players in the league hate him, and the whole thing with his wife supposedly being a complete cunextuesday.

They had to deal him and may have moved quickly to appease the star player that they are trying to keep.

Jeez, they beat the Rangers a year ago on a crazy run, and have been a decent performing team over the last 5 or so years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12