• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Only reason I say is my dad was just looking, too. I don't know if they got a set but he said everything up on like Facebook Marketplace and Letgo was cheap but looked good in photos. If you look local you can always go by to see it in person before paying. Only thing that sucks there is having to move it back to your house.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Only reason I say is my dad was just looking, too. I don't know if they got a set but he said everything up on like Facebook Marketplace and Letgo was cheap but looked good in photos. If you look local you can always go by to see it in person before paying. Only thing that sucks there is having to move it back to your house.

That's the kicker. A set isn't fitting in my SUV.

Yeah, like a bigger set to seat six is tough. You could always rent a small trailer, maybe? Do you have a hitch on the SUV? Doesn't even need to be like those mini uHauls. I've seen guys rent the exposed ones just to strap something down to. But I have no idea what the cost is there. Could get expensive.

Yeah, like a bigger set to seat six is tough. You could always rent a small trailer, maybe? Do you have a hitch on the SUV? Doesn't even need to be like those mini uHauls. I've seen guys rent the exposed ones just to strap something down to. But I have no idea what the cost is there. Could get expensive.

That's the thing...of it costs me another $200+to move it I'd rather buy new.

I think we spent around $400. Was half off.

More than I wanted to spend but wife liked it and it was on sale. It’s a dining style, smaller table with 4 chairs. Stainless steel(?) that looks teak-style, which should last awhile. I didn’t want any glass or fabric that would need to be replaced annually. There are cushions, but they’re still in great shape.

Thanks for info. Think I'm just going to wait until after labor day....

Wait a month.. right when they start making room for Christmas shit go in and make an offer on a floor set.. 50 cents on the dollar at worst... They'd rather take a fraction to get it off the floor and not have to store it... Best time to buy an already assembled grill as well.

total kick in the dick, right?

In the spring it cost me $1600 to get rid of a colony of honey bee's that had gotten in a gap in the soffit and made a 5 foot long x 18 inch honeycomb that required a giant hole to be cut in that wood siding of the house. Little bastards

lol....damn. was there honey at least?

• 4 weeks later...
Finally starting work on my house today, after months of fighting with the town to get the permits approved. Putting a second floor onto my house, adding 3 more bedrooms and a bathroom.

What's that do to your taxes? We were thinking of expanding.

What's that do to your taxes? We were thinking of expanding.

Looks like they are going up half, but we were told that they have a program in my town that you can in crease your taxes gradually, which is what we have to look into. I don’t know how bad your taxes are, but they are high here. The biggest pain in the ass was getting the permits. Before you apply, I would suggest making sure the prior owners of your house got all the CO’s on the house that you need. We didn’t have one for our basement, and had to apply for one, and it held us up all summer.

We were told by numerous people to just buy a new house, but we like where we live, and it’s a good area. We talked to a couple of contractors and found this company who worked with a mortgage guy who gave us a loan based on what the house will be worth when the project is completed. The company doesn’t get paid until they do certain amount of work, which is good because they can really screw us over.

Looks like they are going up half, but we were told that they have a program in my town that you can in crease your taxes gradually, which is what we have to look into. I don?t know how bad your taxes are, but they are high here. The biggest pain in the ass was getting the permits. Before you apply, I would suggest making sure the prior owners of your house got all the CO?s on the house that you need. We didn?t have one for our basement, and had to apply for one, and it held us up all summer.

We were told by numerous people to just buy a new house, but we like where we live, and it?s a good area. We talked to a couple of contractors and found this company who worked with a mortgage guy who gave us a loan based on what the house will be worth when the project is completed. The company doesn?t get paid until they do certain amount of work, which is good because they can really screw us over.

Nice, good info. My taxes are high-ish. Not outrageous.

Yeah, the STAR program in NY helps, but it?s bullshit that they tax you for everything. I can see if your building out and using more land, but not up.
in Jersey they also tax you on the value of the structure. So if you're building up, or adding some rooms, then the house will be worth more. Therefore higher taxes.

in Jersey they also tax you on the value of the structure. So if you're building up, or adding some rooms, then the house will be worth more. Therefore higher taxes.

Same in New York. They will raise taxes if your shed is over a certain size, and if you have a pool as well. It’s ridiculous because after all these taxes, they still do a shit job with plowing and other projects in town.

Finally starting work on my house today, after months of fighting with the town to get the permits approved. Putting a second floor onto my house, adding 3 more bedrooms and a bathroom.

Good luck man! Getting our house in shape to put on the market after the New Year. We hope to stay in the same school district but it may not be easy based on the upgrade we want and the likely inventory. Luckily most districts around are ranked well.

Good luck man! Getting our house in shape to put on the market after the New Year. We hope to stay in the same school district but it may not be easy based on the upgrade we want and the likely inventory. Luckily most districts around are ranked well.

Good luck. We already had our first issue. Apparently they didn’t put any wood at the edge of the attic above my living room when the built it, and the contractors foot went through the ceiling, so now we have a small hole. It doesn’t even surprise me with half the issues we have found withbthe house over the years. I just wish they would have found something valuable hidden in the attic floor boards.

So our HELOC was finally approved and now we can pay off our credit card that we used to install our CAC system. It only took 3.5 months. Next up is our oil to gas conversion. We started the loan process back in July because I wanted to avoid having no heat while the conversion was done. Figured everything would be done by mid summer. Its now mid October and I am still waiting on the Town of Crookhaven. Thankfully its still been warm enough outside that we're still running the CAC. The wait continues.