• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

I was going to go CAC and convert to gas heat from oil when we moved in. But I shot my load on new siding and a new roof (because we went solar). I honestly like the idea of being able to control AC by room instead of paying to cool a whole zone. Thoughts?

I was going to go CAC and convert to gas heat from oil when we moved in. But I shot my load on new siding and a new roof (because we went solar). I honestly like the idea of being able to control AC by room instead of paying to cool a whole zone. Thoughts?

That's one of the things I liked about the ductless system as well. You are able to somewhat control the rooms individually though. Mine is setup so the nursery is a few degrees warmer than the rest of the bedrooms. We have the Nest tstat upstairs and downstairs and we also have Nest temperature sensors in the 3 upstairs bedrooms. The nursery is always 2-3* warmer than the rest. I don't think its the temperature that's actually controlled as much as its the amount of air being sent through that duct that is controlled.

This actually all started because we are planning to make the conversion from oil to gas this year as well. I said fuck it I am not going another summer in this house with just two window units "cooling" the house. We decided to do the CAC as well. We're still working on getting either a home equity lone or line of credit. Still haven't decided which way we're gonna go with it. For now, we put the CAC on our Southwest card to get the points and will then pay it off once the loan clears. We will then start the process for the gas conversion.

We did solar two years ago I think. The way our billing is set up is that it basically pays for itself. The tax breaks and rebates paid for just about half of the loan. The rest we pay as part of our electric bill. Prior to solar our bill was something like $150-160 per month. Its now down to around $75. Only $10-20 of that is actually power, if that, the rest is the payment for the system. Once that is paid off in another 6-7 years our bill will drop drastically. Although I am not sure how much the CAC system will alter it. I am sure its more efficient than the two window units we had running all day prior. Next I would like to either get a roof peak vent installed or an exhaust fan to pull the hot air out of the attic.

We have a 2 story. Central air. Have a huge problem trying to keep the 2nd floor cool during these hot days. multiple vents in most rooms, doesn?t do anything.

I think part of the issue might be a lack of heat escape, or whatever that may be. Even when we open some of the tops of upstaornwindows, we still can?t get enough hot air out to keep it cool enough.

We have a 2 story. Central air. Have a huge problem trying to keep the 2nd floor cool during these hot days. multiple vents in most rooms, doesn’t do anything.

I think part of the issue might be a lack of heat escape, or whatever that may be. Even when we open some of the tops of upstairs windows, we still can’t get enough hot air out to keep it cool enough.

Noooooooooooooo that's the worst thing you can do. All that does is pull more hot air in from outside. Does your attic have good ventilation?

We have a new Trane, I was proud of it, it was life changing. Now, this heatwave is kicking its ass. It's struggling big time.

We have a back-split raised bungalow, not really even a second floor to cool. My wife is convinced it's broken. You pay out your nose for this shit then at crunch time it's a glorified ceiling fan. Brutal.

We have a 2 story. Central air. Have a huge problem trying to keep the 2nd floor cool during these hot days. multiple vents in most rooms, doesn?t do anything.

I think part of the issue might be a lack of heat escape, or whatever that may be. Even when we open some of the tops of upstaornwindows, we still can?t get enough hot air out to keep it cool enough.

Believe it or not, your first floor might be the issue.

Insulate that attic. Insulation works both ways.

I'd definitely duct down to the first floor too. Heat rises. Id think you're pretty much cooling more than you have to.

Venting is often an issue for inefficient CAC. Make sure your return vent is up high if you are attached to a forced air system If not, it's going to be an issue) Also make sure you have the heat out vent blocked. Makes a huge difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m actually going to have an HVAC guy come in and give me his thoughts. He’s a close friends brother, so I trust he won’t bang me.

You guys have any tips for wet sanding? I just had a new window and door installed, plus they fixed some water damage in my ceiling. They did a pretty good job on the drywall and spackle, I just have to sand it before I repaint. I figured wet sanding was better than traditional sanding with one of those sanding blocks hay connects to a vacuum cleaner to collect the dust.

Thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...
just cost me $300 to get rid of a hornet's nest the size of a football. tried spraying it myself, didn't do shit since its deep in the bushes. fuck!!

total kick in the dick, right?

In the spring it cost me $1600 to get rid of a colony of honey bee's that had gotten in a gap in the soffit and made a 5 foot long x 18 inch honeycomb that required a giant hole to be cut in that wood siding of the house. Little bastards

Had the siding redone on my house and garage earlier in the summer. Inside one of the walls of the garage, I apparently had a nest of yellow jackets. After the work was done, I kept seeing some of the yellow jackets trying to find their way back in, but it was all sealed up, lol.