• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Do you shave, or just trim, your vagina?

LOL, don't worry, I have 2 gas guzzling SUVs to make up for it.

Really though, some of you old school folk need to come around on electric. It's gotten pretty damn good. I was sick and tired of repairing my old used cub cadet gas rider. It was one thing after another.

I'm just sick at looking at my neighbors half cut front lawn, with her electric mower failing half way through, when mine looks like the 1st fairway at Pinehurst.

Driving my property value down at least $50.

Ouch. Sorry bout your luck. I mow like every 5 days down here to keep my bermuda grass nice. Meanwhile, the neighbor across the road buys a 54" cub cadet ztr and can't bother to mow his weed infested lawn more than once every 2 weeks...

Electric push mowers are good enough these days to not have to mess with gas and oil. I've had a Kobalt 80V for 5 years...and the matching weed trimmer, and blower. Plenty of batteries and chargers between them all.

I even took the plunge on one of the Ryobi electric riders. 2nd season and doing well to this point. It was pretty sweet junking my fuel cans. Though there are times the power of a gas rider would have been nice, the other 90% of the time I'd rather have electric.

Here's the problem with many of the electric mowers. They're made with cheap parts and are mostly plastic. With those mowers, you're paying for the battery. The rest of the mower is as cheap as possible.

I had an EGO electric mower when I bought my house. It broke on me in a little over a year - the relay switch to control the motor broke for some reason. It happened to my friend too and if you look on the internet, it's fairly common. That's not to mention the other shitty plastic parts that can easily break.

So I ditched the EGO and bought a Honda mower for $100 more. The Honda has a much better build quality and will easily last for years. I thought I would hate the maintenance, but there's really not much to it. Plus I don't have to worry about my battery dying mid-mow.

Here's the problem with many of the electric mowers. They're made with cheap parts and are mostly plastic. With those mowers, you're paying for the battery. The rest of the mower is as cheap as possible.

I had an EGO electric mower when I bought my house. It broke on me in a little over a year - the relay switch to control the motor broke for some reason. It happened to my friend too and if you look on the internet, it's fairly common. That's not to mention the other shitty plastic parts that can easily break.

So I ditched the EGO and bought a Honda mower for $100 more. The Honda has a much better build quality and will easily last for years. I thought I would hate the maintenance, but there's really not much to it. Plus I don't have to worry about my battery dying mid-mow.

How much was the electric? I'm looking at the 5-600 range, there are both gas and electric mowers in that range. I'd be disappointed to drop 500 on a mower with crappy parts.

Opposite of my experience. As I mentioned, I've had it 5 years with zero problems outside of putting a new wheel bearing on it from my rougher usage. I did buy a higher quality mower though. The Kobalt was well rated and I paid $400 at the time. I know there's a lot of cheap electric options so I can't speak to those.

How much was the electric? I'm looking at the 5-600 range, there are both gas and electric mowers in that range. I'd be disappointed to drop 500 on a mower with crappy parts.
The EGO I bought a couple of years ago was $400 for the 5Ah battery size. It was a push mower, not self propelled.

The Honda I bought was $500 and it is self propelled. I originally thought I didn't care about self propelled, but it's kind of nice actually. And, again, it's built like a tank.

I also find the Honda does a way better job actually cutting the grass and doesn't get bogged down on any thick patches. I have zoysia in my front yard and it's super fucking thick - it used to choke my electric and the Honda mostly powers through.

The EGO I bought a couple of years ago was $400 for the 5Ah battery size. It was a push mower, not self propelled.

The Honda I bought was $500 and it is self propelled. I originally thought I didn't care about self propelled, but it's kind of nice actually. And, again, it's built like a tank.

I also find the Honda does a way better job actually cutting the grass and doesn't get bogged down on any thick patches. I have zoysia in my front yard and it's super fucking thick - it used to choke my electric and the Honda mostly powers through.

Gotcha. Yea, self propelled is a must haha.

While we are talking trim, I can’t recommend enough to make sure you sharpen your mowers blades from time to time. You’d be amazed how much of a difference it makes.

Me every April: "I can skip it this year, I'll probably get a new mower anyway"

Me every April: "I can skip it this year, I'll probably get a new mower anyway"

Change oil once a season, sharped blade every 25 hours of use, keep your soil nutrient rich with a dense lawn so crap grass can’t get in and live the life.

I'm just sick at looking at my neighbors half cut front lawn, with her electric mower failing half way through, when mine looks like the 1st fairway at Pinehurst

Driving my property value down at least $50.

why don't you surprise her with a early Christmas gift , Extra battery pack

I have a toro. Go Timemaster. Honestly, you won’t regret it. 28” I believe instead of the normal 21/22”. You’ll thank me in the long run even if it’s not a huge yard. It’s a beast of another level.

Edit, it’s 30” and my god it cuts amazing. Two blades. Like butter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-TimeMaster-30-in-Briggs-Stratton-Personal-Pace-Self-Propelled-Walk-Behind-Gas-Lawn-Mower-with-Spin-Stop-21199/300234121

I wish I had the yard to make sense for me to get a Time Master. I love that mower. I've been elated with my new Super Recycler though. So much better than my old Recycler.

Gotcha. Yea, self propelled is a must haha.

Lots of good option in that range. I am a bit of a Toro fanboy so you could use that whole budget and go with the Toro Super Recycler model 21385. It's a Toro motor that is a Honda clone. Stay away from the Briggs motors if you can, I've read in several places that they've gone to shit in recent years. If you don't wanna spend that much I'm sure you'd be fine with a Recycler as well. Try to stick to something RWD. The Toro Personal Pace is such a nice self propelled feature.

• Like 1

While we are talking trim, I can’t recommend enough to make sure you sharpen your mowers blades from time to time. You’d be amazed how much of a difference it makes.

Change oil once a season, sharped blade every 25 hours of use, keep your soil nutrient rich with a dense lawn so crap grass can’t get in and live the life.

All this mowing and lawn talk is getting me excited here hahaha. Sharpening is such an important factor that most people do not do enough. Also helps keep fungus at bay. I bought an extra blade so I can rotate them, I sharpen each blade every other week. I mow 2-3 times a week.

All this mowing and lawn talk is getting me excited here hahaha. Sharpening is such an important factor that most people do not do enough. Also helps keep fungus at bay. I bought an extra blade so I can rotate them, I sharpen each blade every other week. I mow 2-3 times a week.

Lol I, right there with you. Both on the toro and the extra steps to making sure the lawn looks great it’s a fun science once you get it down.