• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

Thanks Guys. Yeah, 13. Obviously, some were low balls, a few others didn?t work well with our desired settlement date but several others were more than we could have hoped for in terms of timing - settlement and price offer. It?s a great neighborhood for younger couples/families. Now realize my current home isn?t big so while offers over asking price are great the amounts aren?t astronomical. With all that said, we could be selling the home for a solid 15%-20% more than we ever expected. Extra money in the bank no matter how you look at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Thanks Guys. Yeah, 13. Obviously, some were low balls, a few others didn’t work well with our desired settlement date but several others were more than we could have hoped for in terms of timing - settlement and price offer. It’s a great neighborhood for younger couples/families. Now realize my current home isn’t big so while offers over asking price are great the amounts aren’t astronomical. With all that said, we could be selling the home for a solid 15%-20% more than we ever expected. Extra money in the bank no matter how you look at it.

Crazy. The house I ended up buying was on the market 2 days before we made an offer and they received 4 other offers. Market is fierce.

Grats tho

Btw, how did you decide? When we offered, we wondered how the seller would decide. My wife ended up writing a sappy letter to the sellers and apparently that helped lol

Crazy. The house I ended up buying was on the market 2 days before we made an offer and they received 4 other offers. Market is fierce.

Grats tho

Btw, how did you decide? When we offered, we wondered how the seller would decide. My wife ended up writing a sappy letter to the sellers and apparently that helped lol

So, my realtor had all the offers on a spreadsheet...

Some of key factors for us:

-Price (obviously)

-What date the buyer wanted to settle knowing what our preference was already.

-Their means of purchase: type of financing/rates/their lending bank/etc.

-Whether they had contingencies ex: need their own house to sell first.

Many wrote sappy letters, we refused to read any.

We went with the buyer that was most flexible with our preferred settlement date (end of school year and just after we settle on our new home, also had a purchase price above listing price and the one that had the best loan lined up. 80/20 mortgage with a low rate. Some offers were going to do 95/5 mortgages. Too much risk in my eyes.

Some other offers were pure garbage low balls or dumbass requests even though they knew multiple offers were submitted. Those people obviously didn?t want it THAT bad.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Congrats, dude

And on the previous post, does anything less than 20% down necessitate mortgage insurance there, or, what's that number look like?

Yes, as far as I know, less than 20% down typically means you'll be paying PMI. But it varies based on what you do put down.

• 2 weeks later...
I hate the Town of Brookhaven. We had an oil to natural gas conversion done back in January/February. Just had final inspection, the Navien boiler setup passed perfectly fine. However, they won't close out the permit unless I have an extension on my house, which was built before I was born, "legalized". They don't have any record of it in their system. I am the 4th owner of this house. How the fuck does it not get caught until now? There is no way I am going to get fleeced for something that was added to the house by the original owner before I was even born. The 3rd owner bought the house specifically to renovate and flip it. He lives across the street from me. His father also lives in another house across the street from me. They both concur that it was done sometime back in the mid-late 70s. I was born in 1983. WHAT THE FUCK!!??! This fucking town sucks.

I hate the Town of Brookhaven. We had an oil to natural gas conversion done back in January/February. Just had final inspection, the Navien boiler setup passed perfectly fine. However, they won't close out the permit unless I have an extension on my house, which was built before I was born, "legalized". They don't have any record of it in their system. I am the 4th owner of this house. How the fuck does it not get caught until now? There is no way I am going to get fleeced for something that was added to the house by the original owner before I was even born. The 3rd owner bought the house specifically to renovate and flip it. He lives across the street from me. His father also lives in another house across the street from me. They both concur that it was done sometime back in the mid-late 70s. I was born in 1983. WHAT THE FUCK!!??! This fucking town sucks.
You can try and fight it but in NJ the story is that you should have done due diligence before buying. The certificate of occupancy inspection points out everything not to code.

Fucking assholes. Had to get the certificate done of my house selling in a few weeks. I had to install a railing 5 steps up into an attic that hadn?t had a railing in 60+ years! Give me a break. Atleast that only cost a few bucks. Just take your $50 ?inspection? check and get out of my house.

I also had to pay $300 for a sewer lateral inspection (for the certificate) that only benefits the next owner (peace of mind). No one did that for me. Lol.

Fucking assholes. Had to get the certificate done of my house selling in a few weeks. I had to install a railing 5 steps up into an attic that hadn’t had a railing in 60+ years! Give me a break. Atleast that only cost a few bucks. Just take your $50 “inspection” check and get out of my house.

I also had to pay $300 for a sewer lateral inspection (for the certificate) that only benefits the next owner (peace of mind). No one did that for me. Lol.

After just buying my first house, you have to understand that everyone is trying to get the most for their money and don't want to step into a lemon. Inspectors word is gold to a new buyer. If they say the house NEEDS something, the buyer is sure as fuck going to make sure they don't have to pay for it.

After buying my house, I realized the inspector just puts on a show to collect his $. They are kinda javk of all trades, but don't see everything they should and shrug off buyers legit questions.

My inspector caught a few things but missed a bunch, despite me asking him about them (boiler being too small to keep up with hot water, water filtration system and water pressure tank....). He did find major problems with the roof though.

After just buying my first house, you have to understand that everyone is trying to get the most for their money and don't want to step into a lemon. Inspectors word is gold to a new buyer. If they say the house NEEDS something, the buyer is sure as fuck going to make sure they don't have to pay for it.

After buying my house, I realized the inspector just puts on a show to collect his $. They are kinda javk of all trades, but don't see everything they should and shrug off buyers legit questions.

My inspector caught a few things but missed a bunch, despite me asking him about them (boiler being too small to keep up with hot water, water filtration system and water pressure tank....). He did find major problems with the roof though.

My home inspector double majored in engineering and applied sciences at West Point... Definitely not a jack of all trades haha.

Then why is he a home inspector?

I agree with Dude. You're better off asking local contractors, and your realtor shouldn't be entirely blind to this stuff but apparently they are. Our realtor browbeat our last buyer's inspector in to submission. A lot of inspectotlrs are just lazy dudes that gave up on going work or couldn't hack their trade.

I feel like our last home inspector sucked, the first guy I had was so thorough with everything, spent an entire day there. Now, House is twice as large and the guy was out in about an hour. We’ve already discovered a few things from repairmen “how did this pass inspection during closing??”